• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Starting to re-think my roster build.

Starting in free agency...
    Spotrac has Mike Williams' market value set at $15.5 million and Davante Adams' value set at $24 million. We have the cap space. I think Adams/Allen lineup would be very scary. Essentially, the $8.5 million in difference is more than offset when Bulaga is waived ($10.75 million savings).

Leaving Feiler at LG and drafting a RT will allow us to still be a major player in FA.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Starting with our own re-signs. Value/PFF

Justin Jones 3.5 mil/55.7 Above average at stopping the run. Need depth at IDL.
      Oday Aboushi 2.5 mil/66.5 Really liked this FA pickup. Played well until injury. Medical evals will be everything.
      Kyzir White 2.5 mil/59.1 Above average in coverage. Need LB depth.
      Tevaughn Campbell 2.5 mil/70.4 Could take over at slot. Needed depth. He's a RFA that I'd like to sign long-term. Could tender him with a 2nd or 3rd.
      Jalen Guyton 2 mil/52.0 Another RFA. Could use a 3rd round tag. He's the only deep speed on the roster.
      Kyler Fackrell 2 mil/59.5 Good against the run. Decent in coverage. I hoped that Nwosu develop... he didn't. Finding a pass rusher in the draft.
      Stephen Anderson 1.5 mil/67.9 Limited opportunities... but starting to flash. TE depth as I don't re-sign Cook.
      Chase Daniel 1.5 mil/NA Cheap depth for QB meeting room and film sessions.
      Dustin Hopkins 1.5 mil/NA Average kicker pay for an average kicker. At least we'll have consistency.
      Ty Long 1.5 mil/NA Again, average pay for an average punter.
      Storm Norton 1.5 mil/50.5 It is what it is. Depth we hopefully don't have to start. Compete with Pipkins for the swing position.
      Matt Overton 1 mil/NA Because you have to have a long-snapper.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents. These guys are compelled by their contracts to play for minimum (depending on years of experience). Could be re-signed to longer contracts... Donald Parham certainly could be a long-term consideration. The rest are just depth.

Joe Gaziano 850,000
      Donald Parham 750,000
      Gabe Nabors 750,000
      Kemon Hall 750,000

I wouldn't re-sign any of the older and/or more expensive FA's. I'd replace them with better players via free agency or the draft. Those moves will come in another post.
      That's 16 players for 26.6 million dollars. Spotrac has us at 87.7 million cap space for 2022 season. With those in-house signings, our cap would be going into free agency with $61 million of cap space to fill important roster spots and make this team stronger/deeper.

One last thing... I'd cut bait on Bryan Bulaga. That saves us $10.75 million. And brings our pre-FA cap back up to $71.75 million. We would be in position to grab a proven play-maker and build important depth.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

In this scenario (above) we walk into free agency with $71 million in cap space... probably more money than any other team.

Free agency moves:

WR Davante Adams. $25 mil/91.6 This is my one big FA splash. The Packers are in cap hell. Almost certainly hits FA unless Packers do some voodoo re-structure.
        NT Sebastian Joseph-Day. $4 mil/61.6 Staley connection makes sense. Rams in cap hell.
        NT/DT Austin Johnson. $3.5 mil/55.2 Improves run D and provides depth.
        DT Harrison Phillips. $2.5 mil/71.4 Injury history keeps cost down. Depth along the DL.
        RB Alex Collins. $2 mil/69.9 Liked him out of college. #2 RB we've been looking for.
        OC/OG Austin Blythe. $2 mil/NA Another Staley connection. He was one of my targets last year. He's been injured. Good depth.

That's $39 million in FA spending. Still leaves us with almost $33 million in cap room for signing draft picks and in-season pick-ups.
        It improves our DL depth while getting younger. Nets us a #2 RB. Replaces the inconsistency of Mike Williams with a proven play-maker. Gives Herbert the best WR combo in the NFL.

On to the draft...

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
          Starting with our own re-signs. Value/PFF

Justin Jones 3.5 mil/55.7 Above average at stopping the run. Need depth at IDL.
          Oday Aboushi 2.5 mil/66.5 Really liked this FA pickup. Played well until injury. Medical evals will be everything.
          Kyzir White 2.5 mil/59.1 Above average in coverage. Need LB depth.
          Tevaughn Campbell 2.5 mil/70.4 Could take over at slot. Needed depth. He's a RFA that I'd like to sign long-term. Could tender him with a 2nd or 3rd.
          Jalen Guyton 2 mil/52.0 Another RFA. Could use a 3rd round tag. He's the only deep speed on the roster.
          Kyler Fackrell 2 mil/59.5 Good against the run. Decent in coverage. I hoped that Nwosu develop... he didn't. Finding a pass rusher in the draft.
          Stephen Anderson 1.5 mil/67.9 Limited opportunities... but starting to flash. TE depth as I don't re-sign Cook.
          Chase Daniel 1.5 mil/NA Cheap depth for QB meeting room and film sessions.
          Dustin Hopkins 1.5 mil/NA Average kicker pay for an average kicker. At least we'll have consistency.
          Ty Long 1.5 mil/NA Again, average pay for an average punter.
          Storm Norton 1.5 mil/50.5 It is what it is. Depth we hopefully don't have to start. Compete with Pipkins for the swing position.
          Matt Overton 1 mil/NA Because you have to have a long-snapper.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents. These guys are compelled by their contracts to play for minimum (depending on years of experience). Could be re-signed to longer contracts... Donald Parham certainly could be a long-term consideration. The rest are just depth.

Joe Gaziano 850,000
          Donald Parham 750,000
          Gabe Nabors 750,000
          Kemon Hall 750,000

I wouldn't re-sign any of the older and/or more expensive FA's. I'd replace them with better players via free agency or the draft. Those moves will come in another post.
          That's 16 players for 26.6 million dollars. Spotrac has us at 87.7 million cap space for 2022 season. With those in-house signings, our cap would be going into free agency with $61 million of cap space to fill important roster spots and make this team stronger/deeper.

One last thing... I'd cut bait on Bryan Bulaga. That saves us $10.75 million. And brings our pre-FA cap back up to $71.75 million. We would be in position to grab a proven play-maker and build important depth.
          I'd let Storm and Daniels walk. Ty Long can be upgraded as well.
          Don't mind Guyton but I'd be looking to draft another WR even if we sign one whether it is MW or a guy like Adams.

11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
          105 Brenden Rice WR - USC
          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
          140 Hunter Nourzad OC - Penn st
          181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
          225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Nut making too much sense.
            Me worry.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Draft: Obviously this is fluid and will probably be changed many times.

1st: CB Roger McCreary. When I drafted, Ikem Ekwonu was off the board... along with Cross, Karlaftis, Linderbaum, and Green... something I think will happen in reality. McCreary is good in man and zone. Also has experience as a gunner on special teams. A good tackler as well... which Staley likes in a CB.
              2nd: Edge Jermaine Johnson. Strong against the run, sets the edge. Played for teams that develop pass rushers (Georgia and Florida State). Needs to develop more pass rush moves but can rush the passer (7.5 sacks thus far).
              3rd: RT Abraham Lucas. I like him more than most people. Good feet, good angles, and can get to the 2nd level. Movement abilities make him perfect for the outside zone scheme we run.
              4th: RB Zamir White. Productive and versatile. Competes with FA Alex Collins for #2 RB. Nice depth. Let Kelly and Roundtree compete for the #4 RB.
              5th: S Smoke Monday. Depth at safety and can be a dime/nickel LB in certain packages. Good special teams candidate.
              #203: LB Mike Rose. Good run defender. Depth at ILB. Good special teams candidate.
              #215: DT Corey Durden. Depth along the DL. I like him a lot. Not sure if he'd be there @#215.
              #216: TE James Mitchell. Enjoys blocking, understands the importance of downfield blocking. Can be a good receiving TE. Lets Parham, McKitty, and Anderson get on the field.
              #220: WR Emeka Emezie. I like him a lot more than most people.. He was on my radar last year. Not sure if he lasts until #220.
              #245: DE Tyler Johnson. Depth behind Bosa. Strong and can set the edge. Needs to develop as a pass rusher (3 sacks so far).
              #256: Mr. Irrelevent! Pick a position for depth.
              Last edited by Boltnut; 11-12-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Final roster:

QB: Herbert, Stick, Daniel
                RB: Eke, Zamir White (4th), Alex Collins (FA), Roundtree/Kelly
                FB: Nabors
                WR: Davante Adams (FA), Keenan, Palmer, Guyton, Emezie (6th), Roberts (KR/PR)
                TE: Parham, Anderson, McKitty, Mitchell (6th)
                OT: Slater, Lucas (3rd), Norton
                OG: Feiler, Aboushi, Jaimes
                OC: Linsley, Blythe (FA)

DE: Bosa, Johnson (7th)
                DT: Tillery, Jones, Harrison Phillips (FA), Durden (6th)
                NT: Joseph-Day (FA), Austin Johnson (FA)
                OLB: Fackrell, Jermaine Johnson (2nd), Rumph
                LB: Murray, Tranquil, White, Mike Rose (6th)
                CB: Davis, Samuels, McCreary (1st), Campbell, Hall
                S: James, Adderly, Gilman, Webb, Smoke Monday (5th)

K: Hopkins
                P: Long
                LS: Overton

LOL! That's 54. Someone will be on the chopping block. Webb, Roberts, or Daniel...?

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  Final roster:

QB: Herbert, Stick, Daniel
                  RB: Eke, Zamir White (4th), Alex Collins (FA), Roundtree/Kelly
                  FB: Nabors
                  WR: Davante Adams (FA), Keenan, Palmer, Guyton, Emezie (6th), Roberts (KR/PR)
                  TE: Parham, Anderson, McKitty, Mitchell (6th)
                  OT: Slater, Lucas (3rd), Norton
                  OG: Feiler, Aboushi, Jaimes
                  OC: Linsley, Blythe (FA)

DE: Bosa, Johnson (7th)
                  DT: Tillery, Jones, Harrison Phillips (FA), Durden (6th)
                  NT: Joseph-Day (FA), Austin Johnson (FA)
                  OLB: Fackrell, Jermaine Johnson (2nd), Rumph
                  LB: Murray, Tranquil, White, Mike Rose (6th)
                  CB: Davis, Samuels, McCreary (1st), Campbell, Hall
                  S: James, Adderly, Gilman, Webb, Smoke Monday (5th)

K: Hopkins
                  P: Long
                  LS: Overton

LOL! That's 54. Someone will be on the chopping block. Webb, Roberts, or Daniel...?
                  think we need to make a Super Bowl personnel move, and.... think Davante qualifies.

have said before that I think Chargers football is two No. 1 receivers, and.... if Parham/McKitty both take a step up, we could (really) have something heading into next season.... (still would like to hedge my bets there w/a Cade Otton day two).

also not sure eye don't keep Cook over Anderson there @TE ??

Lucas in the third is generous slotting according to some pundits/draftniks.... would rather take the surer bet/thing and move Feiler to RT, and then draft an OG early.... Oline is (very) key.... (eye like the Linsley hedge in Blythe, if he is dependable).

not willing to not bring Linval back.... too risky.... Harrison Phillips is a gambit that I don't think a SB team takes.... we can/need to do better there.

like both of 'em some, and.... think we best bid adieu to the both of Nwosu and Fackrell, as think we will likely double dip @ED, in both the draft and FA.

and no Niemann.... think you've got some 'splainin' to do w/team Tommy John.

and not sure I wouldn't like both some vet insurance/assurance @the both of CB & S in FA.
                  also guess we replace Hopkins, and maybe Long as well ??

ps. think both Roberts and Daniel are unlikely moving forward.... ??

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Here's an idea of what you get with RT Abraham Lucas. Washington State likes to throw a lot... so he's an accomplished pass blocker. You can see him against USC's DE's (different styles of pass rushers). Washington State also requires their OT's to get downfield on screens, pull for traps, and get inside position on inside run plays. He's a hard worker with good feet.

I don't take requests, so please do not ask, I will ignore them. Please consider supporting me making these videos over at Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/D...

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Harrison Phillips is nice depth. He's a bit of a risk (health-wise). But a huge reward is he stays healthy. I've got 6 IDLon the roster for that reason...

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Getting CB and S help via free agency is either a huge risk or very costly. TT has done a nice job of recognizing CB talent (both FA and draft).
                        I can get 2 or 3 IOL and/or IDL for the price of a FA CB or S.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Ok, I’ll give this a shot with free agency first.

Release:
                          OT Pipkins
                          RB J. Kelly
                          OT B. Bulaga
                          This will give the team an extra $13 mil in cap relief push them up to $88 mil in cap space. They can do a lot of good with that money.

resign:
                          DT Justin Jones
                          LB Kyzir White
                          OLB Kyler Fackrell
                          TE Stephen Anderson
                          TE Donald Parham
                          C Scott Quessenberry

FA Acquisitions:
                          WR Courtland Sutton
                          WR/PR Jakeem Grant
                          OLB/DE Emmanuel Ogbah
                          DT BJ Hill