• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

1.01 Bijan Robinson, RB, 6’0″ 220 University of Texas

Despite a lackluster performance against TCU, Bijan still ranks at the top of SuperFlex rookie drafts for me. I took him at the top spot in Mock Draft 1.0 and will do so until we get to the real rookie draft season next May. He is truly a generational talent and will immediately lock in as a top-five dynasty running back the second his name is called in Kansas City in April. The only debate at the top of rookie drafts is whether you select Bijan or trade the pick away for a king’s ransom. Anything less than multiple first-rounders will be an insult. – @DanT_NFL
    1.04 Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, 5’11” 201 Alabama

I will gladly take Jahmyr Gibbs at pick four. I love his versatility in the running and the passing game. He has shown his big play ability this year and is averaging his highest yards per carry of his career at 6.5. He has the skill set to be used like Alvin Kamara, and I think he will be successful right out of the gate in the NFL. – @hayeb3
    1.06 Jordan Addison, WR, 6’0″ 174 USC

Usually, in Superflex, I always go quarterback this early in a draft. However, I’m not overly impressed with this year’s group personally. So I’m going to go with my WR1. Addison has the tools to be a stud at the next level, and I’m happy to add him here. – @ReflipeWThenuz
    1.10 Zach Evans, RB, 6’0″ 215 Ole Miss

Getting Zach Evans as a late first-rounder feels like getting Travis Etienne there in 2021. Evans is a workhorse with an all-around skill set and elite field awareness. Don’t let the excellence of Quinshon Judkins deter you from taking Evans at a discount. – @ekballer

1.11 Cedric Tillman, WR, 6’3″ 215 Tennessee

NFL teams are going to fall in love with Cedric Tillman. He is a physical receiver who has long speed and great ball tracking. Tillman will be an immediate contributor as a possession receiver in somebody’s offense next fall. – @TheSmingDynasty

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

I could see Chargers go back to the Palmer course, there is something there that works for them.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

6. Jared Verse, Florida State

6-foot-4, 251 pounds

Verse exploded onto the scene in Week 1 against LSU, and the Albany transfer has played pretty well since dealing with a minor injury earlier in the season. He’s light in the pants but wicked fast, bendy turning the corner and plays hard.

7. Nolan Smith, Georgia

6-foot-3, 235 pounds

When a small edge rusher who just suffered a torn pec ranks this high, you know he must be good. That rings true with Smith, whose speed off the edge, lateral mobility and ability to stack and shed blocks in the run game will have him high in demand in the 2023 draft.
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
          I could see Chargers go back to the Palmer course, there is something there that works for them.
          yeah, usually there is quality round three value @WR, albeit not sure there is one this year, and.... would go so far to say that there is only "one" safer than not pick @wideout me thinx, and that's Quentin Johnston.... not the year to be needing a wide receiver suspex me.

do think TE and RB are better bets for pass catchers tho.... ??

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

OTB/off the board * Bijan, Bresee, Quentin Johnston

1) TE Michael Mayer, WR Jordan Addison, NT Siaki Ika, RB Jahmyr Gibbs, OG O'Cyrus Torrence, DE Tyree Wilson, OT Broderick Jones

2) ILB Noah Sewell, ED Jared Verse, OT Matthew Bergeron, ILB Jack Campbell, TE Dalton Kincaid, S Brian Branch, TE Luke Musgrave, S Antonio Johnson, CB Christian Gonzalez

3) OG Cody Mauch, RB Zach Charbonnet, OG Cooper Beebe (DT Calijah Kancey, CB Emmanuel Forbes)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10056803-2023-nfl-draft-big-board-br-nfl-scouting-depts-latest-player-rankings

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

yeah, usually there is quality round three value @WR, albeit not sure there is one this year, and.... would go so far to say that there is only "one" safer than not pick @wideout me thinx, and that's Quentin Johnston.... not the year to be needing a wide receiver suspex me.

do think TE and RB are better bets for pass catchers tho.... ??
              really need WR to take top off the defenses. see that as most glaring hole to fill, whether its bpa or not when Chargers select another question that remains to be seen? might need to choose from next cluster after Quentin to address (Brugler mocked him to Jacksonville #11). Maybe Addison or trade down a few spots and get Jaxon Smith-Njigba he is slippery smooth and faster than anyone currently on the roster. Would opt for TE Kincaid in 2nd. Then trenches........

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

13. Boise State S JL Skinner
                Where to see him: Mountain West Championship (Saturday, 4 p.m. ET on FOX and the FOX Sports app)
                NFL draft grade: Second/third round

With the NFL cracking down on the type of heavy hitting that has made Skinner a standout since stepping onto Boise State's famous blue turf, his stock is more unsettled than his highlight reels might suggest. And make no mistake, his highlight reels are impressive. Skinner is a runaway train in the open field, consistently delivering the type of bone-rattling hits to opponents that can make him a truly intimidating presence over the middle in coverage, as well as in run support. He has also shown much-improved ball skills this season, collecting a career-high four interceptions. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 218 pounds, Skinner is bigger than some linebackers and will have to prove in pre-draft workouts that he possesses the speed and agility scouts are looking for to earn a high grade. He'll get plenty of opportunities in coverage against fellow NFL hopeful Jake Haener and Fresno State in the Mountain West Championship.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

10. Michigan C Olusegun Oluwatimi
                  Where to see him: Big Ten Championship (Saturday, 8 p.m. ET on FOX and the FOX Sports app)
                  NFL draft grade: Second round

With all due respect to skill-position stars like J.J. McCarthy (ineligible for the 2023 draft), Blake Corum, Ronnie Bell and Roman Wilson (among others), Michigan's top NFL prospect may very well be its center. Oluwatimi is a virtual bowling ball inside who helped pave the way for the Wolverines' stunning 252 rushing yards against Ohio State last week. Along with receiver-turned-cornerback Mike Sainristil, Oluwatimi has boosted his stock more this season than any other player at Michigan. The Wolverines might lack a flashy, high-end talent like last season's No. 2 overall pick Aidan Hutchinson, but are proving to have a deeper and more complete team this season. Oluwatimi, a transfer from Virginia who began his college career at Air Force, ranks among the best centers in the country, projecting similarly to former Wolverine and 2020 New Orleans Saints' first-round pick Cesar Ruiz.

3. USC WR Jordan Addison
                  Where to see him: Pac-12 Championship (Friday, 8 p.m. ET on FOX and the FOX Sports app)
                  NFL draft grade: First round

Trojans quarterback Caleb Williams may wind up winning the Heisman Trophy, but earning hardware is nothing new for Addison, the reigning Biletnikoff Award winner based on the 1,593 yards and 17 touchdowns he caught with Kenny Pickett a year ago at Pitt. Addison's numbers have tailed off this season at USC (810 receiving yards and eight touchdowns) but credit that to Williams spreading the ball around rather than thinking his primary receiver has struggled to acclimate out West. In reality, Addison has lived up to his hype as a first-round caliber receiver, showing dynamic quickness and body control as a route-runner, as well as sticky hands to project as a future No. 1 target in the NFL. He is not likely to test as well as Buffalo's star Stefon Diggs, but there are similarities to their game.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

coupla few surprising names.... midway thru the first,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2023-nfl-draft-15-potential-falcons-targets-at-pick-no-15/ss-AA14Nkzj#image=1

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

TIGHT END

Dalton Kincaid, Utah (6-4, 240)*

Kincaid took a step forward as a senior and leads all FBS tight ends with 850 receiving yards. His outstanding agility helps him separate from defenders, and he possesses the body control and catch radius to grab throws away from his frame. Whether from an H-back or in-line position, Kincaid can win as a run blocker, as well, which should earn him a top-75 draft slot.
                      had 4 catches in their blowout victory over 'SC.... Mayer 8 for 98 & two TDs against USC.

Cody Mauch, North Dakota State (6-6, 303)*

Mauch's been very impressive this year as a leader for the Bison, giving up few pressures in pass protection and moving the line of scrimmage on zone and power runs. His athleticism is always evident when he takes off to block linebackers on run plays -- he consistently hits his targets to open big lanes. Mauch's intensity as a blocker is unmatched in this class, which helps explain why he was the lone offensive lineman finalist for the Walter Payton Award (top offensive player in the FCS).

OFFENSIVE GUARD

O'Cyrus Torrence, Florida (6-5, 347)

Torrence controls defensive tackles with his powerful upper body, turning them out of the hole and throwing opponents to the ground, where he's happy to finish the block. He anchors in pass protection with his strong lower half, and he has shown enough foot quickness to stick with quicker rushers and move to targets at the second level. I think most NFL teams will value his skill set, no matter what blocking scheme they employ.
                      by my take, Torrence is the floor for us if he is on the board when we select round one.... plenty of peoples are looking WR or RT or CB, and.... can't say that the any of 'em are without risk there, and.... really think O'Cyrus is the safest gambit out there, and.... we def have a need @OG.

and so, would beseech of you to ask yourself, do you take the near sure thing w/OT the OG, or do you gamble on your skill position player of choice, or take a maybe lineman that has ?s

Tyree Wilson, Texas Tech (6-6, 275)*

I projected Wilson as the No. 3 senior prospect heading into the season, and he did not disappoint. He ranks 12th in the FBS with an average of 1.4 tackles for loss per game and is among the Big 12 leaders with seven sacks despite missing the last two games due to a foot injury. Wilson's contributions didn't always show up on the stat sheet, as his length and power on the edge have forced quarterbacks to make hasty throws or try to escape his grasp. Wilson announced on Nov. 20 that he would not play again this season, stating that he would be 100 percent healthy for NFL draft workouts, "where I plan to continue to prove that I'm the best defensive player in this upcoming draft."

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Siaki Ika, Baylor (6-4, 358)*

Ika followed his former defensive coordinator at LSU, Dave Aranda, to Baylor before last season. The Bears use multiple fronts, with Ika eating A-gaps versus the run by winning one-on-ones with quickness (yes, at 358 pounds) in a four-man front and shedding blockers in a two-gap situation. While he does not have a sack this season, Ika affects the passing game even if he doesn't get home before the quarterback unloads the ball.
                      how much of a difference would a DE3 or NT2 make to our D.... ?? how big a need are they, and how many chances do you get at a top shelf DE or NT ??

LINEBACKER

Jack Campbell, Iowa (6-5, 246)

Campbell has averaged 10 tackles a game for the Hawkeyes over the past two seasons. This year, he leads an Iowa defense ranked top-10 in the FBS in yards and points allowed. He directs traffic, finds running backs inside and oversees a large share of the field in coverage. While not charged with attacking the backfield as much as other linebackers (11.5 tackles for loss since the start of the 2020 season), Campbell is fully capable of coming downhill, whether it's to make a play versus the run or to nix screen passes.
                      are we gonna have to choose between TE or LB day two ?? or do we go Mayer round one and then LB round two ?? and can the any of Campbell, Eichenberg or Sewell play the pass well enough not to be a liability on the field and in Staley's D ??
                      • LB: DeMarvion Overshown, Texas (6-4, 220)*
                      • LB: Owen Pappoe, Auburn (6-1, 225)*
                      • CB: Julius Brents, Kansas State (6-4, 202)*

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Think he grows into an inside backer with that frame a la Kyzir White

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Think he grows into an inside backer with that frame a la Kyzir White
                          I think he's both. It's what I like about him so much.
                          DC's are trying to figure out how to get more DB's onto the field every year.
                          Problem is... it leaves a defense weak against the run. For our Chargers team, that's already an issue.

We're probably losing Tranquil, Callahan, and Adderly in free agency.
                          How do you fix your run defense, stay prepared to defend the passing games of the Chiefs [Buffalo, Cincinati, Miami], and replace those 3 players...?
                          Oh... and don't forget... you have a 1st round LB (you traded up for) that hasn't lived up to his potential...

Lately, I've been reading up on the "Ameba" defense. Basically, it's a 5-1-5 defense that changes to fit different offensive formations. It's hard for QB's to read because it's constantly flowing as if there are no real positions for its players. It's the ultimate defense to be in if you want to disguise coverages and pass rush assignments. The problem is... you need lots of "hybrid" players... and you need to be able to stop the run... see our playoff loss to the Patriots several years back.

So what does any of this have to do with JL Skinner...? Believe it or not... I think it actually starts with K9.
                          I think Staley needs to set Kenneth Murray free. I want to puke every time I see Kenneth Murray drop into coverage. I want to see him go attack the RB and QB. Period. Make this game easier for him. Make this game the same game that he was so exciting to watch back in college. I admit it. I was a big fan of K9 when we drafted him. To this day, I think I've seen the Chargers use him correctly... ONCE!

In order to set K9 free, I think you need the personnel. In particular, you need 2 big safeties. Safeties that can read, cover, and tackle. We have 1 in Derwin. Problem is the other safety. Even if we re-sign Adderly (a mistake, I think)... he's not a sound tackler. And JT Woods aint it, either. Now, I'm not saying Skinner = Derwin. But I do believe Skinner = Rayshawn Jenkins or Adrian Phillips... or better. Imagine having 2 strong safeties on the field at the same time. Guys who could move into the box and be counted on to fill a running lane... or cover a TE across the middle... or RB in the flat... or defeat a WR/TE blocker in a bunch formation.

How many times have you seen Derwin chase a WR or TE across the formation only to see the play go the opposite direction...? Too many times. OC's are too smart to let your your best playmakers get involved. But what if you took those multiple responsibilities away and let your playmakers and just let them play...? Oh, you're going to send WR's/TE's away from me...? Great... I'm going to go attack your QB while my teammate covers the TE/WR/RB in motion. You play Derwin on one side... Skinner on the other. Skinner, in effect, replaces both Adderly AND Tranquill. You go 1 LB because you can now... with 2 strong safeties on the field.

And the 5-1-5 can be strong against the run, too. It allows you to have 3 DL in a "Tite" formation. A majority of the time, you've got 5 v 5 across the OL. 1 NT, 2 DE's (4i), 2 OLB's.
                          In obvious passing situations, you sub 1 player... a DT (4i) for an extra safety (Woods). You could play 3 deep (safeties) and 4 under (CB, CB, NB, LB) in a zone. You would always have CB, CB, NB in. The key (IMO) are the cover corners. You have to have corners that can survive in man-to-man when asked to do so. The "Ameba" defense sends LB's and safeties into running lanes and on blitzes. It's a defense that creates confusion and pressure from multiple spots... and relies on sound coverage from your DB's.

Anyone watch the Utah/USC game last night. I didn't. I noticed USC WR (Addison) had a quiet game. How did my guy Clark Phillips do...? I assume he was on Addison most of the night...

Comment

Working...
                          X