• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda Draft 2022

Here's your chance to post the draft that you would have completed as Chargers' GM.
    Make sure to only choose players that were actually there during our pick. Please don't trade up/down from our actual draft spots.
    Example: My pre-draft mock had Kenyon Green in the 1st and Bryan Cook in the 3rd. I can't use either of them in my "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" because neither were available at those picks.

Here is a link to the NFL's Draft Tracker:
    Get the latest NFL draft news. Watch live streaming draft videos & video highlights. Follow our 2022 NFL draft tracker, draft history & mock draft commentary.

Let's see what you have. We can always come back at the end of the season to see whose Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda faired best.
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

#17 OG Zion Johnson. I'm actually fine with this pick.
    #79 S Nick Cross. I like that they went safety, but liked Cross better.
    #123 WR Khalil Shakir. I think Isaiah Spiller was a good value pick. But I like what Shakir would have brought to the offense more.
    #160 RB Ty Chandler. I do like Isaiah Spiller, but would have gone with a guy with more speed here.
    #195 CB Tariq Castro-Fields. CB class was really deep. This would have been a good value here.
    #214 EDGE Jeffrey Gunter. I was hoping for depth at EDGE. Christopher Allen would have been a consideration as well.
    #236 RT Rasheed Walker. How did he last this long? I have no idea what the Chargers are doing at RT. Even if Pipkins has miraculously improved, he's a FA next year.
    #260 DT Jayden Peavey. He went un-drafted. I had a 6th round grade on him.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      Here's your chance to post the draft that you would have completed as Chargers' GM.
      Make sure to only choose players that were actually there during our pick. Please don't trade up/down from our actual draft spots.
      Example: My pre-draft mock had Kenyon Green in the 1st and Bryan Cook in the 3rd. I can't use either of them in my "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" because neither were available at those picks.

Here is a link to the NFL's Draft Tracker:
      Get the latest NFL draft news. Watch live streaming draft videos & video highlights. Follow our 2022 NFL draft tracker, draft history & mock draft commentary.

Let's see what you have. We can always come back at the end of the season to see whose Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda faired best.
      Like you, had Green 1A and Zion 1B. No Change with Zion selection, absolutely love the pick. They'll work it out where he plays, thought originally LG and move Feiler to RT, plug in Sayler to RG.

Tell you I was a lot more pissed with the Palmer/McKitty 3rd round selections than I am with JT Wood. And if that's any indication, he will be another keeper. No Change.

Would have preferred Chargers had their pick between Zamir White (explosive) and Spiller (complete) one more reason to hate the Raiders. No Change.

Really wanted DT Thomas Booker, but already off the board (Texans) so Chargers went Ogbonnia, Big long frame with fluid movement, maybe poor man's Hakeem Hicks . No Change.

Jamaree Salyer. Steal of Chargers draft. No Change.

Ok here we go. First like what I see from Ja'Sir Taylor, as a returner, running style does remind me of Hopkins just younger which is Staley focus, however would have gone CB Tariq Castro-Fields, Penn State. Better CB prospect than Ja'Sir or next pick Leonard. Change.

Stupid number or corners available late 6th and 7th rounds I get the value, but would have addressed bypassed need @ RT, Rasheed Wlaker, 6-6 313 another Penn Stater too (could have just went 6-7 Nittany Lions). Change.

Thought at first Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue would be one pick I would change, but he quickly grew on me as a Staley, jack-of-all-trades gimmick weapon. Texans drafted one years ago, named James Casey in the 5th rd. who went on to Philadelphia Eagles (constantly battled injuries) so they brought in undrafted free agent Trey Burton, 6-2 238 TE/FB/Special teams in 2014 who eventually replaced him. Long story short, threw that Super Bowl winning TD to Nick Foles (recently cut by Chicago). I'm hoping the same from Zander, throwing a Super Bowl winning TD to Justin Herbert. No Change.

:rimshot:
      Last edited by TexanBeerlover; 05-01-2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

017) LG Zion Nelson * as mentioned before, would like to welcome my equinox brothers to the Mt. Zion expedition, which some of us had commenced upon back come the Fall equinox
        048) WR George Pickens * this guy and Travis Jones are the barometers for the Khalil Mack acquistion, @least speaking for myself
        079) ED DeAngelo Malone * Dulcich, Nakobe, Marcus Jones, and Cameron Thomas were all players of note, albeit the gambit eye woulda most liked to endeavor upon woulda been the HIlltopper
        123) CB Josh Jobe * Telesco made reference to oh my golly 'bout the players that came off the board in the fourth, and guys that eye lost out on were Cade Otton, Faalele, Dane Belton and Jack Jones, and.... just like Tony Brown before him, who was a day two pundit prospect that fell to the undrafted ranks and eventually became a Charger along w/Brandon Facyson, another early on day two prospect, and so.... obviously Jobe woulda been an overdraft here
        160) PT Matt Araiza * former Aztec here, and will admit to the probable bias, and.... sure seems like a fun guy to have on your squad, albeit will admit to being surprised that the two other punters came off the board before him
        195) RB Tyler Badie * not my guy, but a needed change of pace hedge/insurance policy for Ekeler's magic
        214) RB D'Vonte Price * like this guy's vibe, and he was my choice to supplement some Ekeler carries, 'specially between the tackles
        236) RT Rasheed Walker * again not my guy, but here in the hindsight edition, sure makes alotta sense, as he had some day two grades, and even a day one mention a time or coupla few
        254) DE Demetrius Taylor * no way were two picks in this pandemic year's draft worth just one next year, post pandemic, and really woulda loved to see what this guy might have under the hood
        255) NT Noah Elliss * do like Ogbonnia some, but this woulda been my added man in the middle late in round seven
        260) OC James Empey * 'nother token pick, as woulda hoped he might be able to win a roster spot behind Clapp

would also add that in no way is Salyer any way near as talented as Trey Smith from last year, and dude more reminds me of Deonte Brown, who had some hoopla early in the process, but fell to earth on day three in last year's draft.... hopefully he is one of those guys that just gets it done, and that he will eventually take up as a starter on the right side of the Line.

would also venture a guess that Woods becomes a valuable part of the defensive backfield, as my safety of choice was Dane Belton, who not only was more of a SS, but also went off the board much earlier than expected.

it also looks like the two corners taken later on could be pretty good, as personally am good w/cover corners, who maybe aren't quite as up to speed against the run....

and nice that PFF referred to Spiller as a likely 1k yard back, and that they think Ogbonnia's pass rushing arrow is pointing up.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Big fan of your work, it’s been fun to been part of the ride.

The annoying thing for me was once again (only going off two Staley/Telesco drafts) there is little maneuvering, either trading up or trading down to laser hit on their targets. I get a sense the draft picks we’re 2nd/3rd options for each draft slot but other teams 3-4 picks ahead would select them, sometimes like the Raiders and Saints move just in front to have better odds.

Imagine a lot here saw this coming too. Really hope they learned a lesson and next year, move picks around to add more or hit on a homerun. Conservative approach in this league with all the forward thinking new GM and young aggressive coaches, Chargers need to go for it more on 4th down, just like on the field.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Thanks Beach!

It will be interesting to see how DeAngelo Malone turns out.
            Sorry, you get no George Pikins as we had no 2nd round pick.
            What did we get for #254 & #255...?

It will also be interesting to follow Walker to see what precipitated his fall.
            He'll have to be compared to Salyer...

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
              Big fan of your work, it’s been fun to been part of the ride.

The annoying thing for me was once again (only going off two Staley/Telesco drafts) there is little maneuvering, either trading up or trading down to laser hit on their targets. I get a sense the draft picks we’re 2nd/3rd options for each draft slot but other teams 3-4 picks ahead would select them, sometimes like the Raiders and Saints move just in front to have better odds.

Imagine a lot here saw this coming too. Really hope they learned a lesson and next year, move picks around to add more or hit on a homerun. Conservative approach in this league with all the forward thinking new GM and young aggressive coaches, Chargers need to go for it more on 4th down, just like on the field.
              I was getting the sense that the higher rung players were constantly being grabbed right before the Charger's selection.
              In the future, jumping teams in the 3rd round and beyond seems a better strategy instead of focusing on how to jump up in the 1rst or 2nd round, which Telesco has done.

1rst. Zion Johnson
              3rd. Travis Jones dt (jump over 3 teams - offer ?)
              4rth: Jalyn Armour Davis cb (jump over 4 teams - offer ?)
              5th: Jerome Ford and Zyon Mccollum (jump over 3/4 teams - offers?)
              6th: Salyer

I'm fine with JT Woods and Spiller (I guess), but they just missed out on some starting caliber corners which are hard to come by.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                Thanks Beach!

It will be interesting to see how DeAngelo Malone turns out.
                Sorry, you get no George Pikins as we had no 2nd round pick.
                What did we get for #254 & #255...?

It will also be interesting to follow Walker to see what precipitated his fall.
                He'll have to be compared to Salyer...
                Telesco turned our 254/255 back into our original round six pick we shipped to Chi town for Khalil, and so.... it's back in our fold for 2023.... we have a sixth rounder now for next year.

will also add that after reading my above post, really gotta believe that you don't pass up on Nakobe @79.... my goodness, he's a legit first rounder, and will be surprised if he doesn't show out.

do love Malone, but he has significant risk in terms of level of competition, physicality and development in general, so Dean would be the much safer pick, as don't get the size nor injury thing for that matter.

for me Spiller and Salyer are similar, in that they weren't guys that had me overly excited, but don't think it's a stretch that they will be reasonably productive starters in the league, which would be nice.

and just reading over some Ninja notes on Walker, and he def sees starter worthy traits for him, and an inevitable starting role as well.

hopefully Salyer and Jaimes for that matter pan out, as GBay seems to have a knack for picking up day three linemen.... no reason we can't as well, i.e. Ogbonnia.

ps. if you didn't see it on another thread/post, giving you some props for Jack Jones, who went earlier than most pundits expected, and was happy to borrow that one from you.... nice work.
                RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

also want to give some props to Boltinloudguy, who along w/some others in here, helped pick up the slack from Ninja's absence, as really appreciate posters who name names, and don't just leave us hanging by demanding we dig up so and so position in FA or in so and so round, as if by magic it's like a super convenience draft pick store and you can get what you want on aisle 9.... thank you Boltinloudguy, TexanBeerLover, BoltDude and some others who really helped fill in as relatively newbies to the draft process.... cheers Nutty, and to your pal wu dai as well.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

Telesco turned our 254/255 back into our original round six pick we shipped to Chi town for Khalil, and so.... it's back in our fold for 2023.... we have a sixth rounder now for next year.

will also add that after reading my above post, really gotta believe that you don't pass up on Nakobe @79.... my goodness, he's a legit first rounder, and will be surprised if he doesn't show out.

do love Malone, but he has significant risk in terms of level of competition, physicality and development in general, so Dean would be the much safer pick, as don't get the size nor injury thing for that matter.

for me Spiller and Salyer are similar, in that they weren't guys that had me overly excited, but don't think it's a stretch that they will be reasonably productive starters in the league, which would be nice.

and just reading over some Ninja notes on Walker, and he def sees starter worthy traits for him, and an inevitable starting role as well.

hopefully Salyer and Jaimes for that matter pan out, as GBay seems to have a knack for picking up day three linemen.... no reason we can't as well, i.e. Ogbonnia.

ps. if you didn't see it on another thread/post, giving you some props for Jack Jones, who went earlier than most pundits expected, and was happy to borrow that one from you.... nice work.
                    Malone looked awfully good against good competition at the Senior Bowl.
                    Spiller and Salyer were good value picks. I think they will contribute fairly soon. If you can get a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder to contribute, you've had a good draft.
                    Jack Jones was a guy I wanted... but his robbery charge probably took him off of our board. Thanks for props.
                    Zion was your guy (I think)... excellent pick! I watched a lot of his tape a couple of years ago (when he was LG).

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

also want to give some props to Boltinloudguy, who along w/some others in here, helped pick up the slack from Ninja's absence, as really appreciate posters who name names, and don't just leave us hanging by demanding we dig up so and so position in FA or in so and so round, as if by magic it's like a super convenience draft pick store and you can get what you want on aisle 9.... thank you Boltinloudguy, TexanBeerLover, BoltDude and some others who really helped fill in as relatively newbies to the draft process.... cheers Nutty, and to your pal wu dai as well.
                      Yes! A lot of the "new guys" did a nice job! It's always nice to get a new perspective with new takes/tendencies.
                      This board has a lot of good guys with good eyes... GoodEye, WoodEye being the standard bearer.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Agree. I would have picked him there as BPA. I think he is going to be a good player.

Not interested in rehashing other picks for what I would of done. Just would of liked Zamir or Jalyn Armour-Davis in round 4 but I'm also good with Spiller. Both went right before us. Oh well
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-04-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍