Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Yep
        I appreciate you doing this. Only QBs? Are you covering other positions? Id like to somehow organize all of this if you are.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Yep
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I appreciate you doing this. Only QBs? Are you covering other positions? Id like to somehow organize all of this if you are.
            Time will tell. Every time I think work is under control for a while, it really isn't. Silly me.

My idea is to hit a few positions that are more of a "need" and look at at some of the top prospects. Obviously, positions like QB, RB and TE are easier because there is only one on the field at a time, so it limits the number of prospects some. But RB, DT, OT and LB are some of the spots. I just don't know how many I will get too. The list of things to get to in my shop at home and work projects and side projects is getting kinda long. Still, powder blues is kinda a nice diversion sometimes.

LB especially, since I am kinda struggling with the idea of how much nickel, dime vs base we should play, which ultimately impacts who/where the Chargers would take players.

The thing is the QB discussion always seem to start heating up starting Senior Bowl weekend, so I thought I could try and get ahead of the QB thing for a change. I think it is relevant, because I really do think that the Chargers will start to try and search more urgently for a QB. The big thing that kept going through my head last night listening to Mayock and Davis drone on about QB (NFL Network coverage), was that every year people point to the top QB like they must be franchise QB BECAUSE they are top draft picks.

The flip side of that discussion is of course, why spend a high pick on those guys if they are NOT a FRANCHISE QB? And can lesser players develop their way into being a franchise player.

The best example is Tom Brady. Tom was decent prospect who I liked coming out of Michigan. I liked him, I didn't love him. And I certainly didn't think he was GOAT material. I don't put much faith in the uniform effect that they put kids through now. For those who don't remember, Brady didn't win anyone over at the combine. He looked a little doughy and not particuarly athletic, although he looks better in the drills than in the pure athletic tests.

Watch Tom Brady go through a variety of drills at the 2000 NFL Scouting Combine.

The best prospects back then always looked heads and tails better than the middle round guys. DL were especially being over valued, so the agents would get the guys to look more athletic by wearing all spandex to look good. Well, after Brady started to play better (2 or 3 years later), the NFL started to give you more than a t-shirt to wear, and now they are up to the uniform, to try and get that bias out of scouting some.

Now that I look at the highlights again, His footwork was awesome compared to everyone this year. It's not close. His arm strength is not that good, but that gets better for a lot of guys when they build up their body, which is apparently pretty much the first thing the Pats did with Brady. Also, too many people seemed to read too much into the Drew Henson?Brady battles early in Brady's senior year.

Now, this year, I look back at some of his Michigan highlights, his footwork and mechanics are far better than the QB I see coming out this year. Brady could throw and was not horrible in an athletic sense, but was not graceful at all. DId not have an NFL body and needed to get bigger and stronger in the weight room. But he did read downfield, and he did have nice arm talent in terms of ball placement, and his ability to adjust the trajectory of the ball. HE threw guys open and could keep the ball away from guys. Looking at the current crop of QB, and as unfair as it is, they don't compare well at all to a Brady. They don't compare well to Rivers, Eli Manning or Ben either. although Ben was more of a project in terms of his mechanics than the other two.

Comment

• Boltsfan70
              East Coast Chargers Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
              • Send PM

Nice work Steve

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Time will tell. Every time I think work is under control for a while, it really isn't. Silly me.

My idea is to hit a few positions that are more of a "need" and look at at some of the top prospects. Obviously, positions like QB, RB and TE are easier because there is only one on the field at a time, so it limits the number of prospects some. But RB, DT, OT and LB are some of the spots. I just don't know how many I will get too. The list of things to get to in my shop at home and work projects and side projects is getting kinda long. Still, powder blues is kinda a nice diversion sometimes.

LB especially, since I am kinda struggling with the idea of how much nickel, dime vs base we should play, which ultimately impacts who/where the Chargers would take players.

The thing is the QB discussion always seem to start heating up starting Senior Bowl weekend, so I thought I could try and get ahead of the QB thing for a change. I think it is relevant, because I really do think that the Chargers will start to try and search more urgently for a QB. The big thing that kept going through my head last night listening to Mayock and Davis drone on about QB (NFL Network coverage), was that every year people point to the top QB like they must be franchise QB BECAUSE they are top draft picks.

The flip side of that discussion is of course, why spend a high pick on those guys if they are NOT a FRANCHISE QB? And can lesser players develop their way into being a franchise player.

The best example is Tom Brady. Tom was decent prospect who I liked coming out of Michigan. I liked him, I didn't love him. And I certainly didn't think he was GOAT material. I don't put much faith in the uniform effect that they put kids through now. For those who don't remember, Brady didn't win anyone over at the combine. He looked a little doughy and not particuarly athletic, although he looks better in the drills than in the pure athletic tests.

Watch Tom Brady go through a variety of drills at the 2000 NFL Scouting Combine.

The best prospects back then always looked heads and tails better than the middle round guys. DL were especially being over valued, so the agents would get the guys to look more athletic by wearing all spandex to look good. Well, after Brady started to play better (2 or 3 years later), the NFL started to give you more than a t-shirt to wear, and now they are up to the uniform, to try and get that bias out of scouting some.

Now that I look at the highlights again, His footwork was awesome compared to everyone this year. It's not close. His arm strength is not that good, but that gets better for a lot of guys when they build up their body, which is apparently pretty much the first thing the Pats did with Brady. Also, too many people seemed to read too much into the Drew Henson?Brady battles early in Brady's senior year.

Now, this year, I look back at some of his Michigan highlights, his footwork and mechanics are far better than the QB I see coming out this year. Brady could throw and was not horrible in an athletic sense, but was not graceful at all. DId not have an NFL body and needed to get bigger and stronger in the weight room. But he did read downfield, and he did have nice arm talent in terms of ball placement, and his ability to adjust the trajectory of the ball. HE threw guys open and could keep the ball away from guys. Looking at the current crop of QB, and as unfair as it is, they don't compare well at all to a Brady. They don't compare well to Rivers, Eli Manning or Ben either. although Ben was more of a project in terms of his mechanics than the other two.
                Agreed brother. Thanks again for putting in the tine. Ill be posting these on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                X