Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

QB summary

Mason Rudolph Pros Good arm. Throws with some touch and doesn’t try to strong arm every throw. Good arm talent. Arm strength and touch on passes. Has some

Josh Rosen Pro Played in a pro style offense. Has footwork. Gets himself in good position to make throws on time because of his feet. Gets ball out on time,

Luke Falk Pros Makes some good pre-snap reads. Good at extending plays and buying more time with his feet. Will get some positive yards with his legs. Holds

Josh Allen Pro Strong arm and can drive the ball. Has footwork and gets the ball out on time. Played in a pro style offense. Has footwork and throws the ball

Baker Mayfield. Pro Basically no footwork. Delivery and shoulders are all over the place, and it hurts his accuracy. Decent arm strength and touch on passes.

Sam Darnold Pro Had a great 2016 season and a good start to 2017. Played in a pro style offense. Looked amazing with better talent around him. Still

Since the senior bowl is this weekend, and they will be using the term franchise QB a lot, I thought I would finally suck it up and do my review of the QB's.

First, I am not that thrilled with any of them. When I hear the TV talking heads talk about it, and especially the internet types, it usually comes down to one of the QB MUST be a franchise QB. Either that or everyone stresses the importance of getting that franchise QB so that can be checked off the list. This class is a good example of 3 QB (Allen, Rosen and Darnold) who I think can all be good solid starting QB in the NFL. But I am not sure I would rank any of them as being franchise QB.

Right now I would go Rosen, Allen and then Darnold in that order. The thing is Darnold, while being sorta sloppy, has played at a much higher level and you can probably get him back to playing at a high level a little more easily. But those 3 are miles ahead of the rest.

Allen is getting a bum deal from some people. He was carrying his team, and didn't have a lot of help around him. Rosen and Darnold did some of that too, but not to the same degree. And you can't really compare their accuracy to the rest of the QB in college FB. Spread teams throw so many short dink and dunk passes. Rosen, Allen and Darnold do throw some, but they throw the gambut, and a lot of their plays are designed to get chunks, rather than wait for the defensive breakdowns like a lot of spread teams do.

Just don't let the concepts of completion percentage, accuracy and ball placement get used interchangeably.

Completion percentage is easy to measure, but when teams throw so many short passes, does it really mean anything. The 3 pro style QB throw a lot more passes downfield, so it is a lot harder for them to complete a high percentage of passes.

Ball placement is something that is impossible to measure, but you know it when you see it. When I watch NFL franchise QB, Rivers, Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees..... They tend to be able to throw players open, throw the ball so only their guy can get it, make sure the ball is out in front of the receviers so they can run after the catch...... That is what QB really need to have. The announcers are going to try and use completion percentage as a proxy for ball placement. But like I said, the dink and dunk offenses make that sort of comparison misleading. THe spread guys are probably way behind.....certainly not ahead of the 3 pro style guys.

All the QB in this years draft need work. It stands to reason. Brees, Rivers and Brady didn't come into the NFL being able to play like they do today. All of them are much better QB than they were when they were rookies.

That being said, I still think Ben R., Eli and Rivers were a better top 3 than this years crop. I think they will be good, QB, .... but not franchise guys.
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time and doing these write ups. I thoroughly enjoy them and I am sure everyone else does also.

Cheers!

Comment

• Darth Sergious
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Great! thanks Steve! My morning coffe just got interesting

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Good job Steve. Thanks. But we still want Elway to fall in love with Josh Allen and send Cleveland this years first and second and next years first to move up to get him.....right
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I'd still take Mayfield #1 overall. He has everything needed but height.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Agree, of the three i like Rosen but none of them blow my skirt up. QBs will always get drafted higher than they should but i wouldnt draft one this year for us. Too early IMO with the time Rivers has left. Not a big fan of Josh Allen who will go really high.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘