• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

From what little i've seen, Dexter Lawrence doesn't strike me as a Tom Telesco top pick: TT seems to prefer explosive 3 techs there. I don't think Lawrence will pile up sacks in the NFL.

I'm still open to picking up Jeffrey Simmons and waiting for him to return to health. Admittedly, he's not the explosive type TT covets.
    TT has drafted 3 DT's in his tenure with the Chargers: Ryan Geathers, Darius Philon, and Justin Jones. None of these guys are typical "explosive 3-techs". If anything, they're run-stoppers that are 1-tech/3-tech tweeners. He brought in Brandon Mebane... who is your typical 1-tech. Mebane has a 2-year contract... with possible out in 2020.

And Jeffery Simmons is a guy that I think TT will stay away from (character/injury concerns).

If you go back and look at Gus Bradley's time in Seattle, you'll find that after one year, Bradley brought in Alan Branch (350 lbs) to play the 1-tech. He also promoted Red Bryant (325 lbs) to play DE. Gus has no problem putting big-bodied guys on his D-line. Once those two were in place, Seattle's defense improved dramatically.

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

this mock is a TopCat special.... w/us trading up to 21 w/Seattle and selecting Wilkins (w/Dex going to the Pats)

http://www.mockout.com/2019-nfl-mock-draft/
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Plenty of times Bosa and Ingram had one on ones and didn't win.
        Clemson had four very good DL and in college ball they were just better than most of the OL they faced. It is not going to get easier for Lawrence in the NFL. Just don't see him as a value in round 1 with who else could be there.
        It all depends on who is there... I agree. Who are the guys that will be there that you see as better picks than D. Lawrence? I would probably put OT Andre Dillard and OT Greg Little (but I think both will be gone).

For the record, I don't think Jerry Tillery is better than Lawrence. Way too inconsistent for my taste. And while I like Dre'mont Jones' abilities as a pass rusher, he's a liability in the run game. He'll be a situational player whose speed will be a bit negated by better NFL pass blockers.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Absolutely NO to Jeffrey Simmons...he was caught on video pummeling a woman on the ground, covering her head, while a crowd of people(children included) looked on. Not no, but fuck no! We don't want trash like that on this team.
          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

TT has drafted 3 DT's in his tenure with the Chargers: Ryan Geathers, Darius Philon, and Justin Jones. None of these guys are typical "explosive 3-techs". If anything, they're run-stoppers that are 1-tech/3-tech tweeners. He brought in Brandon Mebane... who is your typical 1-tech. Mebane has a 2-year contract... with possible out in 2020.

And Jeffery Simmons is a guy that I think TT will stay away from (character/injury concerns).

If you go back and look at Gus Bradley's time in Seattle, you'll find that after one year, Bradley brought in Alan Branch (350 lbs) to play the 1-tech. He also promoted Red Bryant (325 lbs) to play DE. Gus has no problem putting big-bodied guys on his D-line. Once those two were in place, Seattle's defense improved dramatically.
            I'd agree with the charactor part but that was in highschool and been a model citizen since. Depends on interviews. I wouldn't rule it out.
            Not worried about injury concerns. He drafted Verrett.

Branch bounced around. He started 3 games in AZ in 4 years. Didn't start his first year in NE.
            I think he had good players all over that defense and it flourished in spite of Branch. If he were that good he wouldn't have bounced around.
            I mean he was ok. Game changer? No
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-17-2019, 08:00 AM.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
              this mock is a TopCat special.... w/us trading up to 21 w/Seattle and selecting Wilkins (w/Dex going to the Pats)

http://www.mockout.com/2019-nfl-mock-draft/
              I had Wilkins at the top of my mock...until his stock kept rising and I no longer thought he would last to #28...according to the draft value chart, to move up from #28 to #21, it would cost about 150 points...we would have to give up our #3 and #4 this year...not sure I'd make that move, but it would be tempting...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I had Wilkins at the top of my mock...until his stock kept rising and I no longer thought he would last to #28...according to the draft value chart, to move up from #28 to #21, it would cost about 150 points...we would have to give up our #3 and #4 this year...not sure I'd make that move, but it would be tempting...

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
                Those draft charts aren't the Bible. I'm sure a 3rd would do it being near the bottom of the first round. There are more than one draft chart out there and teams have their own.

That linked draft chart is the old Jimmy Johnson chart from years ago.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-17-2019, 08:17 AM.
                11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Those draft charts aren't the Bible. I'm sure a 3rd would do it being near the bottom of the first round. There are more than one draft chart out there and teams have their own.

That linked draft chart is the old Jimmy Johnson draft chart from 20-25 years ago well before rookie cap slotting.
                  Agreed...the trade compensation is always fluid, depending on the teams dealing, how much one team wants to trade up, and how much another wants to get out of their slot with some compensation.

Wilkins would be tempting to trade up for...I wouldn't be pissed about it. Really like the kid...but still, I also see a very talented FS prospect being there at 28, regardless of how the runs on the other position go...Thompson, Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, and my personal favorite Taylor Rapp...I have a feeling at least one of those guys is gonna be there at 28...so I'm gonna say no to trading up...stay the course, and without giving up draft capitol, we are gonna net a very good prospect at a PON...that's my prediction, anyway.
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I'd agree with the charactor part but that was in highschool and been a model citizen since. Depends on interviews. I wouldn't rule it out.
                    Not worried about injury concerns. He drafted Verrett.

Branch bounced around. He started 3 games in AZ in 4 years. Didn't start his first year in NE.
                    I think he had good players all over that defense and it flourished in spite of Branch. If he were that good he wouldn't have bounced around.
                    I mean he was ok. Game changer? No
                    Jason Verrett has started 5 games for us in the last 3 years. I hope TT is worried about that happening again. He didn't re-sign JV... I hope lesson has been learned. Simmons won't start a single game in his rookie season (knee re-hab). I don't see the Chargers sacrificing one more of PR's years as the window grows smaller with each year. Someone told me, "We're All In!"

No doubt, the talent around Branch was very good. But bringing him in changed the whole way the Seahawks approached defense. They went from light front four to heavy front four. Their D-line's job was to keep OL off their LB's and secondary. Look at the younger guys they started binging in during the 2009-2011 seasons: KJ Wright (4th round), Richard Sherman (5th), Browner (UDFA), Chancellor (5th)... the only high draft picks were used on Earl Thomas (1st) and Bobby Wagner (2nd).

We already have "gamechangers" (Bosa, Perryman, James). It's time to start protecting those guys. Keep the big uglies off of them, set them free to do what they do best. We don't have that right now along our DL. Re-sign Philon (8.5 sacks last 2 seasons) and get a long-term solution at 1-tech. The first-round projected 3-techs will not keep our LB's and safeties clean. I suppose that a 3-tech could be drafted in the 1st and you could hope that a very limited number of true 1-techs would be available in later rounds (Saunders, Mack). But I'm willing to bet that both of those guys get over-drafted and are not available in the late 3rd (where they belong). Besides, there will be better players available in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. That's where you start picking up other starters and quality backups (RT, LB, FS, Edge).

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

No to trading up.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        No to trading up.
                        Completely agree. This is a good draft for talented mid-round players. Fix the depth problem! Keeping ourselves out of cap-hell requires good drafting in mid/late rounds.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not much draft capital spent here: Jones - 3rd, Carrethers - 5th, Philon - 6th: all this in 5 years. He had lots of opportunities, but almost never pulled the trigger.
                          Philon btw played end at Arkansas: he was a 3 tech or 5 tech when drafted. Telesco said that the Charger scouts would have rebeled if he didn't select Philon.
                          Carrethers was probably the only clear 1 tech tackle taken.

Who were the studs at tackle for the Chargers during this time? Why would anything different happen this year?

I'd guess an offensive tackle or the safety from Delaware.

Comment

Working...
                          X