• Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Who's idea was it to draft
    Sammy Davis
    back in the day ?
    Candyman...ouch...ranks right up there with some of our top draft busts of all time...

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

wanting to revisit the idea of drafting back 2 back DTs....

don't think we have a legit/bona fide starter on the books/roster @this point.... Mebane is on the wane and JJ can play both spots and is a good/great rotational piece/player, and....

both Dex and Khalen can play the one and 3T, Greg Gaines is a quietly viable option @the nose, and Wilkins could pull a James and drop to us @28 ??

personally think 60 is where we'd have to opt for Saunders if so inclined, and guessing that Gaines might last 'til round five (so much for any back 2 backs there), and....

don't think Dex'll be there @60, and so.... intangibles wise, netting the both of Wilkins and Saunders would be super fab for our locker room and Dline p!ay.

am also gonna take the gander that the one or both of Cajuste and/or Isaiah Prince will be there day three/round four to fill our Oline deficiency, and....

don't think it's unthinkable that Adderley might go Sammy small school all the way to 91X, and if not then there is always an Amani Hooker.

far as CB, am a Facyson fan, so not as bothered as some 'bout losing Verrett there, albeit wouldn't mind an UDFA or coupla few, similar to Tony Brown/Facyson last year.

will also add, that perhaps Tom and friends can nab a more than competent/sufficient backup for Denzel come their magic man round five.
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Drafting 2 DT's (whether back-to-back or not) seems a bit over-done. As you point out, it means not drafting depth at critical positions. SAM, EDGE, MIKE, CB, FS, OT, WR groups could all become depleted quickly if injuries occur. Draft Dex @28 and be done with it. Versatile guy that can do many things for you. Eat up blocks in both 4-man and 3-man fronts, keep your oft-injured LB's clean, and vastly improve one of your biggest needs. I like Sauders, Mack, and Gaines... but they're not nearly as versatile or dominating as Dex.

1. Dex
        2. FS
        3. MIKE/SAM/OT
        4. MIKE/SAM/OT/EDGE
        5. MIKE/SAM/EDGE/WR/CB
        6. MIKE/SAM/EDGE/WR/CB
        7. MIKE/SAM/EDGE/WR/CB

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
          Drafting 2 DT's (whether back-to-back or not) seems a bit over-done. As you point out, it means not drafting depth at critical positions. SAM, EDGE, MIKE, CB, FS, OT, WR groups could all become depleted quickly if injuries occur. Draft Dex @28 and be done with it. Versatile guy that can do many things for you. Eat up blocks in both 4-man and 3-man fronts, keep your oft-injured LB's clean, and vastly improve one of your biggest needs. I like Sauders, Mack, and Gaines... but they're not nearly as versatile or dominating as Dex.

1. Dex
          2. FS
          3. MIKE/SAM/OT
          4. MIKE/SAM/OT/EDGE
          5. MIKE/SAM/EDGE/WR/CB
          6. MIKE/SAM/EDGE/WR/CB
          7. MIKE/SAM/EDGE/WR/CB
          Is our 3 tech not a critical position? When our staff let Liuget, Philon, and Square walk, they made it pretty clear that DT could be addressed early and often in this draft. That is not to say we can't use late stage free agency to add depth if we miss in the draft...but I think we will certainly be looking hard for DTs that weekend.

The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• La Costa Boy
            Pretty much retired......
            • Sep 2018
            • JoJa
            • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Is our 3 tech not a critical position? When our staff let Liuget, Philon, and Square walk, they made it pretty clear that DT could be addressed early and often in this draft. That is not to say we can't use late stage free agency to add depth if we miss in the draft...but I think we will certainly be looking hard for DTs that weekend.
            I see that you go safety, linebacker 1/2. You have Saunders at 3. Who do you go to if he's gone at 3? Who else is in your R3 DT cluster at that point.....BPA??

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Or they are saying that DTs are not worth the money they command.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

I see that you go safety, linebacker 1/2. You have Saunders at 3. Who do you go to if he's gone at 3? Who else is in your R3 DT cluster at that point.....BPA??
                Pretty much...I like Saunders versatility, but ultimately see him as a Mebane replacement. Jones is our 3 tech...I think they like him. Not that that precludes upgrading if a great player is there in the first or second rounds...but barring that, I think we are drafting 3 tech depth and NT depth/eventual replacement.

If we miss on Saunders, I like Daylon Mack later on...say the 4th. Not as versatile, but again, would be solid learning under Mebane I think. I'm interested in what they thought of Cowart when they brought him in...college career derailed by personel issues, but by all accounts has turned it around...lot of upside there to try out behind Jones, which addresses 3 tech depth. Maybe Wren makes it down the board to the third...he is a bit raw. Another possibility is a DE/DT hybrid to add a little more pass rush in select packages at the 3 tech position. Those Tweeners can often be had in the later rounds, because they don't always fit in a 3 down scheme, and I think a compliment/rotator with J Jones is what we would be looking for...

But I'll be honest...don't have a lot of names to offer...after the top few rounds, most of the available prospects sort of blend together for me, save for a few I pick out, such as Mack and Cowart.
                The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Pretty much...I like Saunders versatility, but ultimately see him as a Mebane replacement. Jones is our 3 tech...I think they like him. Not that that precludes upgrading if a great player is there in the first or second rounds...but barring that, I think we are drafting 3 tech depth and NT depth/eventual replacement.

If we miss on Saunders, I like Daylon Mack later on...say the 4th. Not as versatile, but again, would be solid learning under Mebane I think. I'm interested in what they thought of Cowart when they brought him in...college career derailed by personel issues, but by all accounts has turned it around...lot of upside there to try out behind Jones, which addresses 3 tech depth. Maybe Wren makes it down the board to the third...he is a bit raw. Another possibility is a DE/DT hybrid to add a little more pass rush in select packages at the 3 tech position. Those Tweeners can often be had in the later rounds, because they don't always fit in a 3 down scheme, and I think a compliment/rotator with J Jones is what we would be looking for...

But I'll be honest...don't have a lot of names to offer...after the top few rounds, most of the available prospects sort of blend together for me, save for a few I pick out, such as Mack and Cowart.
                  Wren should make it. I think some players are a little over hyped here and it may be because we pick late in every round which may be why Thornhill is getting put in at 28. I know Ninja has him #10 on his board but I think that is really high.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Wren should make it. I think some players are a little over hyped here and it may be because we pick late in every round which may be why Thornhill is getting put in at 28. I know Ninja has him #10 on his board but I think that is really high.
                    Definitely much higher than any of the pundits. He is #9 now too.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

anybody interested in shoring up our interior run stop defense ??

Devin White, Dex 'n Khalen....

http://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/solak--final-big-board
                      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        anybody interested in shoring up our interior run stop defense ??

Devin White, Dex 'n Khalen....

http://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/solak--final-big-board

Dexter Lawrence

IDL, Clemson

Round Grade: Early 3rd

Yep, not a 1st rounder

And quite a different perspective/downgrade on a lot of players.
                        Last edited by Formula 21; 04-18-2019, 12:24 PM.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                          • Send PM

Dexter won't get past early 2nd unless there are gas mask/bong photos, then mid 2nd

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍