• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Haskins

So what is it with QB's from Ohio State thinking because they have one good season that they are good enough to come out and enter the NFL draft. Thank god the chargers are not drafting in the top ten because I would hate for us to take him if he were available.
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

They all pretty much do that. Murray had one good year and he is tiny. Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith had one good year. Blaine Gabbert didnt have that great a year and went #10 LOL.
    This QB class is jjst a weak one so yes, thank god Rivers is getting extended for us to get a QB in 2020 or 2021. But as durable as Rivers has been it would still be nice to upgrade Geno Smith. He is terrible and really not much an upgrade to Clemens.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-16-2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      They all pretty much do that. Murray had one good year and he is tiny. Aaron Rogers and Alex Smith had one good year. This QB class is jjst a weak one so yes, thank god Rivers is getting extended for us to get a QB in 2020 or 2021. But as durable as Rivers has been it would still be nice to upgrade Geno Smith. He is terrible and really not much an upgrade to Clemens.
      Smith is not even a little bit of an upgrade to Clemens. I think he is worse than Clemens, and that is a low bar.

Comment

• shruggy
        shruggy was here
        • Dec 2018
        • Send PM

My hope is to draft someone in Rivers' second to last year. I realize that's hard to predict, but I imagine that'll become more apparent once River's extends his contract.

2 years is enough to soak in Rivers' habits on a cerebral level, without getting too antsy. Some great QBs in the past have played behind the starter for at least 2 years before being unleashed; Rivers and Rodgers comes immediately to mind.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by shruggy View Post
          My hope is to draft someone in Rivers' second to last year. I realize that's hard to predict, but I imagine that'll become more apparent once River's extends his contract.

2 years is enough to soak in Rivers' habits on a cerebral level, without getting too antsy. Some great QBs in the past have played behind the starter for at least 2 years before being unleashed; Rivers and Rodgers comes immediately to mind.
          Really tough since I don't think Rivers knows yet.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
            So what is it with QB's from Ohio State thinking because they have one good season that they are good enough to come out and enter the NFL draft. Thank god the chargers are not drafting in the top ten because I would hate for us to take him if he were available.
            Same can be said for Kyler Murray.

As to Haskins....could he use more experience? Of course. But he has some really good traits and is really accurate, which to me is the most important thing. Since I believe he redshirted a year and given the weakness of this QB draft class it may not be that bad a decision.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

The 2019 quarterback class doesn't carry the gravitas of its 2017-18 predecessors. Still, Dwayne Haskins has the talent to develop into an NFL starter despite concerns that are likely overwrought -- including only one year as a collegiate starter, no work under center, and the perception that successful NFL quarterbacks can't come from Urban Meyer's system.

I'm not interested in those questions. Haskins exhibits on-field skills that make him a compelling prospect. This RSP Film Room session delivers nearly 50 minutes of analysis from seven games --TCU, Nebraska, Purdue, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Washington -- and highlights thematic elements from Haskins' portfolio that make him a top option among this year's quarterbacks.
              • Skilled pocket movement and grit.
              • "Reset" accuracy.
              • Opposite hash and off-platform accuracy.
              • Manipulation of coverage.
              • An assertive middle-of-the-field thrower,
              • Pre-snap skills.
              • Diagnostic potential post-snap.
              • Platform flexibility as a thrower.

You'll see why Haskins is not a product of Ohio State's system as well as what he must learn to become a productive and consistent NFL quarterback. In terms of technique, Haskins' most pressing issue is figuring out how to activate his lower body during his release. There's potential for Haskins to generate more power with his hips and it could lessen occasional problems with velocity and distance on throws in the range of 30-55 yards.

Conceptually, Haskins could become consistently more dangerous if he trusts the initial information of his opponents' post-snap coverage position. As with most young quarterbacks, trusting the information that the defense reveals during those first two steps of the drop is that dividing line that eventually distinguishes long-term starters from physically-capable backups or journeymen.

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                Same can be said for Kyler Murray.

As to Haskins....could he use more experience? Of course. But he has some really good traits and is really accurate, which to me is the most important thing. Since I believe he redshirted a year and given the weakness of this QB draft class it may not be that bad a decision.

I think sometimes players especially QB's can look really good in college and be mediocre in the NFL or be a bust sometimes such as the case was with Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Now I do think that Kyler Murray should be better then Lamar Jackson and eventually Russell Wilson. If I were Kyler Murray I would have chosen Baseball for 1 you get more money, 2 The games don't take a toll on your body, 3 you're gonna have a longer career. I just think he's going to regret his decision to play football especially if he is drafted by some team like the Raiders or Cardinals. As far as Haskins goes yes he had one great season at OHIO STATE but I have watched college football for a long time and one thing is always common each season and that is players are a product of the system. Meaning that he played at a school where you can bring in a QB from say Oregon State and make him the Ohio State starter and his stats will look good.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I think sometimes players especially QB's can look really good in college and be mediocre in the NFL or be a bust sometimes such as the case was with Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Now I do think that Kyler Murray should be better then Lamar Jackson and eventually Russell Wilson. If I were Kyler Murray I would have chosen Baseball for 1 you get more money, 2 The games don't take a toll on your body, 3 you're gonna have a longer career. I just think he's going to regret his decision to play football especially if he is drafted by some team like the Raiders or Cardinals. As far as Haskins goes yes he had one great season at OHIO STATE but I have watched college football for a long time and one thing is always common each season and that is players are a product of the system. Meaning that he played at a school where you can bring in a QB from say Oregon State and make him the Ohio State starter and his stats will look good.
                  Well, at least he had reps while waiting in the wings AND played in a conference that plays D.

The same take thing you said about Ohio State can also apply to OKL, on,y they play 8n the Big 12 where Defense is a mirage at best.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

recall when Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson first came into the league and watching them, and being grateful that Phil was our QB, and....

don't think many QBs can touch what Wilson has between the ears, and doubt that Kyler Murray is that guy, albeit don't doubt that he will be an exciting franchise QB in the league.
                    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                      recall when Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson first came into the league and watching them, and being grateful that Phil was our QB, and....

don't think many QBs can touch what Wilson has between the ears, and doubt that Kyler Murray is that guy, albeit don't doubt that he will be an exciting franchise QB in the league.
                      I still wouldn't want to sign dak to an extension. I would trade him. I don't think he's is accurate enough.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                        • Feb 2019
                        • McLean Illinois
                        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                        The 2019 quarterback class doesn't carry the gravitas of its 2017-18 predecessors. Still, Dwayne Haskins has the talent to develop into an NFL starter despite concerns that are likely overwrought -- including only one year as a collegiate starter, no work under center, and the perception that successful NFL quarterbacks can't come from Urban Meyer's system.

I'm not interested in those questions. Haskins exhibits on-field skills that make him a compelling prospect. This RSP Film Room session delivers nearly 50 minutes of analysis from seven games --TCU, Nebraska, Purdue, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Washington -- and highlights thematic elements from Haskins' portfolio that make him a top option among this year's quarterbacks.
                        • Skilled pocket movement and grit.
                        • "Reset" accuracy.
                        • Opposite hash and off-platform accuracy.
                        • Manipulation of coverage.
                        • An assertive middle-of-the-field thrower,
                        • Pre-snap skills.
                        • Diagnostic potential post-snap.
                        • Platform flexibility as a thrower.

You'll see why Haskins is not a product of Ohio State's system as well as what he must learn to become a productive and consistent NFL quarterback. In terms of technique, Haskins' most pressing issue is figuring out how to activate his lower body during his release. There's potential for Haskins to generate more power with his hips and it could lessen occasional problems with velocity and distance on throws in the range of 30-55 yards.

Conceptually, Haskins could become consistently more dangerous if he trusts the initial information of his opponents' post-snap coverage position. As with most young quarterbacks, trusting the information that the defense reveals during those first two steps of the drop is that dividing line that eventually distinguishes long-term starters from physically-capable backups or journeymen.

Nice response to the thread topic...

I think there are, with some exceptions, two types of QB draft busts...

1. QB who appeared to have all the skills and traits and mental fortitude to succeed in the pros, but simply didn't translate to the NFL...either they peaked in college, or couldn't adjust to the speed of the game, or couldn't adjust to the culture of being a pro QB.
                        2. QB who actually did have the skills and traits and mental fortitude to succeed in the pros, but get absolutely ruined by being drafted into a crappy program with crappy staff, and being shoved into the mix unprepared, in order to save some coach or GMs job.

Of course, you have anomalies like injury busts(Sam Bradford) and head cases(Leaf, Manziel)

I put Haskins as a number 2...if he doesn't get in the right situation, where he gets to sit back for a year or two, learn, and furthur develop his game...it could go bad for him. In the right situation though? He could be something special. Can't believe he makes it past the Giants, regardless of what Gettleman claims...

The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞