• Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Stidham

two in the bush, or one in the hand....

first the requisite qualifiers/disclaimers.... I have been (dead) wrong, 'specially @QB (case in point: thought St. Louis blew it by not drafting Bortles @2 overall).

The last guy I really liked and thought he was very Tom Telesco compatible, was Mariota, and.... the jury is still out on the guy per a majority of pundits.

Re: Jarrett Stidham, am guessing he may be more John Spanos compatible, and wonder if it might not require another executive intervention to mandate the drafting of our future franchise QB ??

And re: the thread title.... sure there's a coupla few QBs I might like some come 2020, and.... if there's one this year, and he fits the bill as your future franchise QB, what's so wrong 'bout giving him an extra year to develop under Phil (and Tyrod ?), and hence.... two in the bush (2020), or one in the hand (2019)

The cons on Jarrett Stidham:

He's indecisive and hesitates, he's inaccurate and poor working thru progressions, has shoddy decision making, 'specially under pressure.... he can make greedy reads and is impatient w/safer outs/checkdowns.... there are questions 'round his processing speed, and whether he can handle NFL schemes/route trees, 'specially considering Auburn's run heavy offense didn't ask so much of their passer/signal caller.... tendency to flee the pocket, fumbles some, durability concerns, is undersized, and there are questions as to how invested in football he might be.... a late round consideration.

The other side of the proverbial coin:

He has won big games on a big stage, patient passer, can make throws to all parts of the field, throws well on the move, 162 passes without an interception, has intestinal fortitude, makes big boy throws, his Oline was a mess, there were questions as to how much talent @wideout he had, and if he lacked playmakers around him.... has good footwork, quick release, is mobile QB, can scramble/throw on the go.... questions 'bout whether he was a poor fit in Tigers offense.... did beat Georgia/Alabama, who played in the College Football Playoff National Championship, and who were both No. 1 in the nation at the time.... he's a team captain, tough w/calm demeanor, gets credit for maturity and peoples call him a natural.... had little to no help from Oline/skill players according to some, was missing Kerryon Johnson this last season, and only had short game (available) as he was under constant pressure (sound familiar ?) against 'Bama.... smart/competitive, intends/wants to get up to 220 lbs.... if you flip his last two years, i.e. he's coming off his junior year accomplishments, and.... he's a top ten talent.

Coupla few other things of note:

HC Malzahn wasn't calling the plays this last season as he had for the three seasons prior.... that all changed prior to the Sugar Bowl, and voila.... Auburn hung 62 on Purdue in the Sugar Bowl.... if Stidham had stayed in the bowl game/played the fourth quarter, he was on pace for 500 yards.... his completion percentage was 70 percent, and was also named best QB from the SB, and although a limited sample, he did have an 80 percent completion percentage (4/5) in the Senior Bowl.... (he didn't blow it, and upstaged/outplayed Drew Lock, who was the media darling coming into the game).

Also recall our very own Drew Brees, and that he was only as good as his receiving talent, save for Curtis Conway/David Boston, there wasn't much to work with, and hence peoples wanted to ship him outta town.... (how did that work out ?)

There was also the phenomenon in KC called Patrick Mahomes/Kareem Hunt and another pretty good duo in Dallas by way of Dak Prescott/Ezekiel Elliott.... who you gonna call (on) in 2021 ?? !!

Peoples are always clamoring that we need to step up and beat the likes of NE and KC.... we draft ahead of NE in round one (Stidham pls) and ahead of KC in round two (Bryce Love anyone).... games against these guys start right here and right now w/this year's draft.... we need to preempt/outdraft them.

And don't think I have to tell you/reiterate that things do happen at the bottom of the first/top of the second, i.e. Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.... franchise QBs do populate the draft post the top coupla few picks, @least every now and then, and.... the Pack had Favre @the helm, and we had Brees @the helm when we drafted Phil.... do you really think we'll be in QB range when drafting in 2020 ??

2019 draft slotting:

Recent developments might be working in our (Stidham) favor, if we were to consider QB in this year's draft. If NE is truly interested in Josh Rosen, that may well preclude them from considering another QB @32. In Washington DC, rumor has it they like Daniel Jones (before NY @17), and/or they might like Lock (good fit w/Jay Gruden perhaps ?) if Elway wises up and passes on Drew. And the Titans signed Ryan Tannehill in FA, so one would think it less likely that they would entertain QB in round two. There is still the likes of Cincinnati, and other QB needy teams (Jax or ?) to consider/watch out for.

Daniel Jeremiah has called Stidham a "top tier" QB. Dane Brugler called him and Justin Herbert, "hands down" the two best QBs leading up to the 2018 season. He's slotted @the top of the second by some.

Personally I think it's @28 if we want to be sure to get a chance at a possible franchise QB ??
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

as a sidebar/an aside from a Packer's fan friend,

the Packers selected a QB in 7 of Ron Wolf's 10 years in charge of the roster, in addition to trading for Favre in the 1992 offseason.... in an interview w/SI, Wolf describes his reasoning for the strategy:

"I learned very early in this game if you don't have a QB, you don't have a chance. we were very lucky that we had a unique QB that never missed a game. but that didn't stop me from drafting in late rounds. it's the premier position, and you better be able to cover yourself."
      1992 9th round Ty Detmer
      7 appearances in 4 years under Favre, left as FA and 25 NFL starts

1993 5th Mark Brunell
      traded to Jags for 3rd and 4th round picks

1995 5th Jay Barker.... did not make team

1996 7th Kyle Wachholtz
      converted to TE after cut as QB

1997 7th Ronnie McAda.... did not make team

1998 6th Matt Hassellback
      traded to Seahawks for 3rd round pick and swapped 1st round pick (higher)

1999 4th Aaron Brooks
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

IMO drafting Stidham and Love in rounds 1 & 2 certainly isnt out drafting NE. It's setting us back.

And yes we will be possition to draft a QB in 2020. It will have plenty of QBs with more talent than this draft does for one. You can draft a QB in any draft if thats your main focus by trading up and having the cap space to sign a few FAs. Only thing is that TT doesn't seem to be a creative trader and picking up extra picks.

Stidham is NOT a first round talent and is NOT a franchise QB. I think you are the only one that thinks Stidham is a future franchise QB. I dont know what you see in him to think so since you have never said why you like him so much. Posting quotes of what a couple of guys that do like him, says nothing about why you like him. Most do not like him. I know LT likes him but LT is no draft expert.

As for Wolf....none of those 7 of 10 drafted QBs were in the high rounds and most stunk asside from Brunell who was a tick above average and Hasselbeck. We still may draft a QB in the lower rounds, but it wont be to be Rivers replacement. Wolf is also the jackass that helped the front office to select McCoy. Notice they didnt seek his advise the next time lol.

Drafting QBs all the time doesnt mean it is smart. He traded away the only ones that were any good. Maybe he just likes QBs like Gruden who keeps stock piling scrubs behind Carr. I bet Gruden drafts another one too and only ends up cutting or trading away like Wolf.
        Instead of drafting those QBs when he had Favre, he could of drafted the next Antonio Brown with a 6th
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-03-2019, 08:51 AM.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Stidham is a decent Day 3 pick.....late 3rd at the earliest. Since I would like us to go in some order of OL, DT, FS with our top 3 picks, he is day 3 or nada for me.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
            IMO drafting Stidham and Love in rounds 1 & 2 certainly isnt out drafting NE. It's setting us back.

And yes we will be possition to draft a QB in 2020. It will have plenty of QBs with more talent than this draft does for one. You can draft a QB in any draft if thats your main focus by trading up and having the cap space to sign a few FAs. Only thing is that TT doesn't seem to be a creative trader and picking up extra picks.

Stidham is NOT a first round talent and is NOT a franchise QB. I think you are the only one that thinks Stidham is a future franchise QB. I dont know what you see in him to think so since you have never said why you like him so much. Posting quotes of what a couple of guys that do like him, says nothing about why you like him. Most do not like him. I know LT likes him but LT is no draft expert.

As for Wolf....none of those 7 of 10 drafted QBs were in the high rounds and most stunk asside from Brunell who was a tick above average and Hasselbeck. We still may draft a QB in the lower rounds, but it wont be to be Rivers replacement. Wolf is also the jackass that helped the front office to select McCoy. Notice they didnt seek his advise the next time lol.

Drafting QBs all the time doesnt mean it is smart. He traded away the only ones that were any good. Maybe he just likes QBs like Gruden who keeps stock piling scrubs behind Carr. I bet Gruden drafts another one too and only ends up cutting or trading away like Wolf.
            Instead of drafting those QBs when he had Favre, he could of drafted the next Antonio Brown with a 6th
            I am not dead set against drafting them, but in rds 1 and 2 it is rediculous IMO. Stidham should be there in the third or later IMO and Love will likely be there in rd 5. With Eckeler having a similar skill set, I do not have Love as a player of need at all for us. Drafting them in rds 1 and 2 would be a BIGLY inefficient use of draft capital. I could be wrong though....

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I am not dead set against drafting them, but in rds 1 and 2 it is rediculous IMO. Stidham should be there in the third or later IMO and Love will likely be there in rd 5. With Eckeler having a similar skill set, I do not have Love as a player of need at all for us. Drafting them in rds 1 and 2 would be a BIGLY inefficient use of draft capital. I could be wrong though....
              I'm not against drafting him either but no way in round 1 and really wouldn't in the 2nd. 4th id be fine if he is there. He is just going to be backup material in my view. I don't see him as a franchise QB and don't see but maybe two in this draft.
              You never know how a player will elevate himself but right now i dont label him a franchise guy and don't think he will develope that far.
              When we replace Rivers id like a QB who is one of the best coming out and if we have to trade up for that guy, I'm fine with it.
              This class is weak in that regard.

As for RB I agree with you.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-03-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

if we wait 'til 2020 then we have to consider trading up, and from where will we be slotted and what is the cost of that, and is it worth it as there is still risk, even for a top three QB.

and yes, would love to see a bit more Trader Tom on the block and more than the standard seven draft picks, albeit if that's not his strong suit, then yes again.... better to stay clear.

and will be very surprised if Stidham doesn't rate as a first round QB after a coupla few years at the longest, and.... you could be right re: the franchise QB, as may be stretching the envelope there a bit, albeit still suspect that Jarrett could be just as good or better than Phil (who was slotted as a late first rounder himself 'til Marty up and went his hussy), albeit again may be a stretch to claim he will be the better player than the likes of Joey, Derwin and/or Desmond ??

what I like 'bout the guy are his intangibles/backstory, his accuracy, mobility and toughness, and I suspect that he may have been set back by his OC some, and perhaps his Oline & Co.

and the reason I cited Jeremiah and Brugler (and others) is because for some here they pretty much set the bar/standard re: draft talent evals, and as 'tis not oft they are out on the proverbial limb w/player observations.

and thanx for the LT mention as hadn't read/come across his comments.... "day one starter," and the mention by Derek Carr that others @the Combine called Stidham a "stud."

also not in love w/what Ron Wolf may or may not have contributed to the Chargers, albeit when you go four out of eight w/the likes of Brunnell, Hasselback, Brooks and Favre.... that's pretty close to exceptional considering 'twas later round selections, and that every other GM had a shot @Favre as well, and you were the GM that brought him in.

and re: Stidham as a later round selection.... personally view that as close to absurd/very little chance of that happening, albeit do think that Finley/Rypien are both being overlooked as eventual NFL starters, albeit again would prefer to wait 'til 2020 than bring in the either of them.

and re: Gruden & Mayock.... wondering who they like if not Murray.... Haskins or ?? could they be thinking Stidham @the top of the second, not to mention they have two picks in the twenties, and.... if NE passes on Rosen and goes Stidham @32, they control his contract for the longer five years.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Stidham is a decent Day 3 pick.....late 3rd at the earliest. Since I would like us to go in some order of OL, DT, FS with our top 3 picks, he is day 3 or nada for me.
                  'tis always the conundrum, and won't say I wouldn't feel a tad bit guilty if we went QB right off the bat, as agree that lineman should most always take priority in the draft, and that yes we do need a FS.

that said, one of the rules in the draft is that if you don't have a franchise QB, then that is your first order of biz, and.... perhaps that is a debatable conversation, and....

obviously I do think that Stidham is worth drafting @28, as don't think he'll be there @60, and am not bowled over by alternate selections there, 'specially as would've liked to go Shelton in FA.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

most excellent choice of verbiage w/BIGLY

re: RB.... do think we went into more than a coupla few games a little light depth wise @RB

and re: Love.... like him much better than McCaffrey who went top ten, and....

remember how I felt when Kareem Hunt came off the board earlier than many expected, as dearly wished for him to be a Charger.

and agreed, there are big ?s re: his injury history, and others have questions 'bout his pass catching abilities/skills, and....

there is obvious concern about his ability to block in pass pro.

all that said, his compare is Chris Johnson/Giovani Bernard, and can absolutely turn a defense on its ear, and be a game changer anytime he gets his hands on the football.

he is a risk, and.... have not seen any player at sixty that can hold a candle to his play making abilities.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I'm not against drafting him either but no way in round 1 and really wouldn't in the 2nd. 4th id be fine if he is there. He is just going to be backup material in my view. I don't see him as a franchise QB and don't see but maybe two in this draft.
                      You never know how a player will elevate himself but right now i dont label him a franchise guy and don't think he will develope that far.
                      When we replace Rivers id like a QB who is one of the best coming out and if we have to trade up for that guy, I'm fine with it.
                      This class is weak in that regard.

As for RB I agree with you.
                      making progress

first it was all backups and now we've got two franchise QBs ?? !!

and do you have a QB you like in 2020 or are you just going by word of the pundits ??

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

making progress

first it was all backups and now we've got two franchise QBs ?? !!

and do you have a QB you like in 2020 or are you just going by word of the pundits ??
                        I said MAYBE two, which I've always said. I don't listen much tonpundits.

But I did read a 2 round mock by Chynthia from NFL Network lol. Can't stand to listen to her on TV, she's lame.

As for QBs, there are several I like but want to see how they progress further.
                        Jake Frohm from Georgia is going to be a JR next season and be progressed a lot from a freshman to last season so hope to see more as I like him already. Herbert, Ehlinger, Eason, Tua.
                        I'm forgetting some others as I don't have the names in front of me. But right now my top three are probably Frohm,Herbert, Ehlinger, and Franks.

Not sold on Tua yet. He throws a good deep ball but his WRs are usually wide open but you still have to get it there on target.

Not quite sold on Ehlinger either but he is very intriguing and I like what I've seen. Dudes a gamer and gritty and like him better than Tua right now.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-04-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X