Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yeah...everytime he throws a TD we can yell STATEFARM!

That can be fun at least. Still dont think he will be a Brees 2.0
    I don't know...I posted the stats once already, but...more productive and more accurate in college than Brees was, playing in a much better conference, with a star running back who stole a lot of reps...bout the same arm strength and mobility coming out....I have watched a ton of tape on Jake...I think the comparisons are sound, but...JMO
    The TPB makes plans....

And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
      According to L. Zierlein, J. Herbert will slide to 18th.
      According to P. Schrager, it will be Tua at 16th.
      Which scenario is the most probable ?
      Sounds like guesses to me.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Brock Bowers N.M.W.
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Send PM

Tua...it won't happen, but there is the possibility that Fins and Bolts chicken out, and then other teams either don't need him, or wonder if the Fins and Bolts know something they don't.

I think TT likes Herbert if Miami passes on him, so he doesn't make it past us. Still think he would scoop up Tua as well, but IF there is a slide, the health factor with Tua is most realistic.
        The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Send PM

Hell, Elway loves Herbert...wouldn't shock me if he scooped Herbert even with Lock on the roster...Lock did ok, but he wasn't a world beater when he came in last year.
          The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Will the official draft thread be in this forum or the draft forum?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Brock Bowers N.M.W.
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
              Will the official draft thread be in this forum or the draft forum?
              It's right here, bro...freshly stickied!
              The TPB makes plans....

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Daniel Popper provides his cheat sheet:
                https://theathletic.com/1767487/2020/04/22/chargers-draft-cheat-sheet-five-players-they-might-target-at-every-position/

Chargers draft cheat sheet: Five players they might target at every position

Have you been putting off your Chargers draft prep? Are you scrambling to cram in these final 24 hours?

Fear not. I am a master crammer. Somehow I survived both high school and college without starting a paper or project, or studying for a test, until the day before. I know the pain, even if it’s entirely self-inflicted. So, with my final story before the start of the NFL Draft, I am giving you the ultimate Chargers draft cheat sheet.

Below, I’ve listed five prospects the Chargers could target at each of the nine positions I think they’re most likely to select — QB, OT, LB, WR, NT, RB, TE, CB, IOL. The positions are ranked in order of how likely I think the Chargers are to take a player at that spot. Quarterback first. Offensive tackle second. And so forth.

I’ve compiled these names based on several factors — primarily what round(s) the Chargers are probably going to target that position as well as the fit, both in terms of scheme and skill set.

If you’re draft-obsessed and already feel prepared, I still urge you to keep reading. You’ll most likely see some names you haven’t come across yet, especially for the positions the Chargers will probably be looking at on Day 3.

One final thing: To keep this short and sweet, I’m not going to copy and paste the scouting reports from our draft expert Dane Brugler. Instead, you can cross-reference these names with Brugler’s draft guide, The Beast. It includes background, strengths, weaknesses, scouting summaries and measurables for all 45 of these prospects. Quarterbacks

• Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama (range: 1st round)
                • Justin Herbert, Oregon (1st round)
                • Jordan Love, Utah State (1st-2nd round)
                • Jacob Eason, Washington (3rd round)
                • Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (3rd-4th round)

I expect the Chargers to draft a quarterback in the first round. Whether that is Tagovailoa or Herbert will depend on what the Miami Dolphins do at No. 5 — or earlier, if they trade up. Love would be an interesting option if the Chargers decide to take a tackle at No. 6. In that scenario, they could trade back into the first round or see if Love falls to No 37. After Love, though, there aren’t any options that excite me. Eason doesn’t provide the mobility the Chargers are looking for, and Hurts, to me, doesn’t have the accuracy or anticipation to make it as an NFL starter.
                Offensive tackles

• Austin Jackson, USC (range: 1st-2nd round)
                • Josh Jones, Houston (1st-2nd round)
                • Ezra Cleveland, Boise State (1st-2nd round)
                • Isaiah Wilson, Georgia (2nd round)
                • Matt Peart, UConn (3rd round)

I left off the big four tackles because I wanted to get some more names on the list, and I also think the Chargers are more likely to target a tackle in the second round or late in first round if they trade back in. If the Chargers draft a tackle in the first round, then Tristan Wirfs, Andrew Thomas, Mekhi Becton and Jedrick Wills would all be options — though one or two of them could be off the board if the New York Giants and/or Dolphins go in that direction. There is another scenario where the Chargers go QB in the first and LB/WR in the second. In that case, Peart could be an option at pick 71 in the third. His arms are nearly 37 inches long.
                Linebackers

• Zack Baun, Wisconsin (range: 1st-2nd round)
                • Akeem Davis-Gaither, Appalachian State (2nd-3rd round)
                • Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech (2nd-3rd round)
                • Logan Wilson, Wyoming (3rd round)
                • Davion Taylor, Colorado (4th round)

I tried to fit Taylor into each of my last two mock drafts, but he was too much of a reach in the third round. Also, Wilson and Davis-Gaither provided better value. Taylor is a fascinating prospect, though, and could be a possibility if the Chargers wait until Day 3 to address linebacker. He ran a 4.39 (!) at his pro day, and that speed would be an ideal fit as a WILL in Gus Bradley’s scheme. He only played one football game in high school because he observed the Sabbath from Friday sundown through Sunday morning, so he sat out to observe his religious practices. He tried out at a community college and eventually earned a scholarship to Colorado. He’s just an incredible story and would be a great match for the Chargers — both in terms of his character and his skill set. Wide receivers

• Jalen Reagor, TCU (range: 2nd round)
                • KJ Hamler, Penn State (2nd round)
                • Chase Claypool, Notre Dame (2nd-3rd round)
                • Isaiah Coulter, Rhode Island (4th round)
                • John Hightower, Boise State (4th-5th round)

The one characteristic linking all these prospects: speed. That’s what the Chargers will be trying to add if/when they draft a wide receiver this weekend. Reagor ran a 4.47. Hamler didn’t run officially but claims to have run a 4.27. Claypool ran a 4.42, Coulter ran a 4.45 and Hightower ran a 4.43. You get the picture. One thing to watch: There may be a first-round wide receiver who falls out of the first round. Maybe Brandon Aiyuk. Maybe Denzel Mims. If one — or both — of those guys is there at 37, I could see the Chargers taking them over Reagor or Hamler. Otherwise, I think Day 3 is likelier. Nose tackles

• Leki Fotu, Utah (range: 3rd-4th round)
                • Rashard Lawrence, LSU (4th-5th round)
                • Benito Jones, Ole Miss (5th round)
                • Broderick Washington Jr., Texas Tech (5th round)
                • Raequan Williams, Michigan State (6th round)

The Chargers need depth at nose tackle behind Linval Joseph. I think fifth round or later is the likeliest range, though they did reportedly meet with Fotu. Running backs

• Antonio Gibson, Memphis (range: 3rd-4th round)
                • AJ Dillon, Boston College (4th-5th round)
                • James Robinson, Illinois State (4th-5th round)
                • Michael Warren II, Cincinnati (range: 5th-6th round)
                • Sewo Olonilua, TCU (7th round)

Ideally, the Chargers would like to add some size and physicality at this position, with Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson both on the smaller side. All five of these running backs weigh at least 219 pounds. Dillon is 247. Gibson might be my favorite prospect in the draft. He played both running back and wide receiver at Memphis. He has 4.39 speed. Imagine having two players who could line up at any spot in the offense between Ekeler and Gibson. That would be exciting. Tight ends

• Colby Parkinson, Stanford (4th-5th round)
                • Thaddeus Moss, LSU (5th-6th round)
                • Dalton Keene, Virginia Tech (range: 6th round)
                • Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt (6th round)
                • Sean McKeon, Michigan (6th-7th round)

Keene is very interesting because he lined up in the backfield some at Virginia Tech and could fill two roles for the Chargers, both at tight end and fullback. Pinkney could be a steal. He was graded as the top senior tight end in college football by a few NFL teams heading into 2019, but he was underutilized and failed to match his junior-season production. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, meanwhile, praised McKeon’s assignment-sound blocking. Virgil Green is still under contract for one more season, so the Chargers could look for a more developmental piece here.
                Cornerbacks

• Michael Ojemudia, Iowa (range: 4th round)
                • John Reid, Penn State (4th-5th round)
                • L’Jarius Sneed, Louisiana Tech (5th round)
                • Madre Harper, Southern Illinois (6th-7th round)
                • Stantley Thomas-Oliver III, Florida International (7th round)

After the Chargers signed Chris Harris, I don’t think cornerback is as pressing of a need. So I don’t expect them to take one. If they do, they’ll be looking for size and speed on Day 3. Reid is the only one of these players under 6-foot. All of them ran sub-4.5 40s. Interior offensive linemen

• Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin (range: 5th round)
                • Logan Stenberg, G, Kentucky (5th round)
                • Darryl Williams, C/G, Mississippi State (6th round)
                • Tremayne Anchrum, G, Clemson (6th round)
                • Cohl Cabral, C/G Arizona State (6th-7th round)

Positional versatility will be the name of the game if the Chargers look for an interior lineman — center or guard — late in this draft. But Mike Pouncey’s health seems to be trending in a positive direction, and if he is cleared to play, there isn’t much of a need at guard or center. The Chargers have depth there between Trai Turner, Pouncey, Dan Feeney, Forrest Lamp and Trent Scott, assuming he moves inside from tackle.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

I like Popper but I think thatgs too complicated - you have a spreadsheet - ranking the players by in order. When a player is selectied -you cross them off - when you get to your pick, the player ranked highest - should be the pick

Now of course, you can't draft 7 of the same position but say when the chargers pick in the second round at 37, the highest ranked player is 28 but say they draft Tua in the First and they want OT, but the best OT is ranked 34 - you take player 28

just take the best damn players on your board!!

Comment

• SYB
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

No idea how Eason made the QB list. I can't imagine to team is looking for another statue in the pocket.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I bet Gruden moves up to take Tua. He loves that kid. You watch.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                        Hell, Elway loves Herbert...wouldn't shock me if he scooped Herbert even with Lock on the roster...Lock did ok, but he wasn't a world beater when he came in last year.
                        yeah, forgot about that.... would love it if Herbert ended up in either Denver or Vegas.
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Tua
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍