• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post

This post wasnt made to say he did a bad job, i made this so everyone could see his past drafts,
    i was curious my self to see exactly who he drafted, because certain players are forgettable lets face it. I had completely forgotten about stevie williams.
    I do fins it interesting in the fact that when telesco stopped draft for need and started on what seems to be bpa our team suddenly was getting increasingly better.
    I actually agree with your grades on all of his draft picks. The thing that I like is that he has found 1 to 3 very good players for us in each of the last 5 of 6 drafts that being 2014. When Verrett was on the field he was a very good corner for us so not like it was a total bust. What's more impressive is the players he has drafted beyond the first round. I also agree with picking the bpa over picking for team needs but in this draft the chargers had to address there most glaring weakness and that was Defensive tackle. Next years draft I would say lets fix the offensive line. I would like to see the first two picks be Offensive lineman. Then in 2021 we can draft Rivers replacement.

Comment

• charger1993
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

I actually agree with your grades on all of his draft picks. The thing that I like is that he has found 1 to 3 very good players for us in each of the last 5 of 6 drafts that being 2014. When Verrett was on the field he was a very good corner for us so not like it was a total bust. What's more impressive is the players he has drafted beyond the first round. I also agree with picking the bpa over picking for team needs but in this draft the chargers had to address there most glaring weakness and that was Defensive tackle. Next years draft I would say lets fix the offensive line. I would like to see the first two picks be Offensive lineman. Then in 2021 we can draft Rivers replacement.
      I try to be fair when giving grades, its hard for me to give a A plus. You really gotta knock ghe draft out of the park..
      Verrett was a good player, problem was he never played, i believe he missed more games ghan he played for us. For that reason alone i had to give verrett an F especially when we could of had roby, verrett had a history of being i jured in college, and we knew he was undersized. It was a huge gamble.
      I kind of expect us to draft o line next year but we could very easily see a Running back picked. Depends on what melvin is asking for. In yhe first next year i would look at OT, CB,RB,DE,LB,TE,QB,WR,DT. "those are in order of what i think is most important to least important" of course those positions can cary as the season goes on.

Comment

• Jagged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Omaha, Nebraska
        • Send PM

This list/grade should also include undrafted free agents that made the team. Every year they seem to find a gem that ends up contributing in some fashion.

Comment

• Budsman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

STICK4.jpg
          Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

Then in 2021 we can draft Rivers replacement.
          We already did that:
          Attached Files

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Grading drafts is always an interesting exercise, but only tells part of the picture. We seem to get more out of UDFA than most teams in the league, so they kind of need to be included as well, along with FA from other teams. Looking at the entire roster is obviously the most important thing and that is usually reflected by a team's record. By most accounts we have one of the most talented rosters in the league and our record reflects it.

But just looking at drafts, TT has killed it in his last 3 (assuming this year's picks work out like I expect them to).

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
              This list/grade should also include undrafted free agents that made the team. Every year they seem to find a gem that ends up contributing in some fashion.
              They weren't drafted so id disagree. Drafts never get graded considering who they got as UDFAs.
              11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
              35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
              37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
              66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
              69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
              100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
              110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
              140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
              181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
              225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                mang '17, '18, '19 looking like SB squad.
                The new coaching staff input played a role.

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

If I am looking at the drafts.

0 Starters = F
                  1 Starters = D (C- if player made a pro bowl)
                  2 Starters = C (B- or B if player(s) made pro bowl)
                  3 Starters = B (A- or A if player(s) made pro bowl)
                  4 Starters = A (A+ if 2 players made pro bowl)

Plus other factors like injury or contributed some but fell off can move the grade a bit.

2013 Draft
                  1 Pro bowler (Allen-WR). Basically 1 Starter. Fulker/Teo for a while but unable to stick.
                  Grade = C

2014 Draft
                  1 Pro bowler (Verrett-CB). Basically 1 Starter but availability was bad as he just kept getting injured.
                  Grade = D+

2015 Draft
                  1 Pro bowler (Gordon-RB) 3 Starters Gordon, Perryman, Emanuel although be default and retired. Philon did some things too.
                  Grade = A-

2016 Draft
                  1 Pro bowler (Bosa-DE) 2 Starters basically. Bosa, Henry. But let's say 3. As Watt & Brown are not really starters. Kaser started for a while be fell off.
                  Henry could change this with a pro bowl season to an A
                  Grade = A-

2017 Draft
                  0 Pro Bowler 2 Starters basically. Williams & Feeney. But let say 3. As King is nearly a starter how much he plays. And Tevi Is penciled in right now as RT.
                  What hill happen with Lamp? Does Feeney fall off? How does Tevi progress? Does Jenkins earn more time and stick with the team?
                  Need a couple more season to truly get a grade on this.
                  Tentative Grade = B

2018 Draft
                  1 Pro Bowler 1 Starter for sure. But,they should get a starter out of Nwosu and/or White or Jones. What if Quessenberry develops in a couple seasons?
                  Tentative Grade = B-

2019 Draft
                  I am going to say 2 Starters. Tillery and Adderley get on the field early. Who knows what happens after that. If Pipkins earns a spot eventually. Or if Tranquill, Egbule, Broughton find ways to contribute and get on the field. Can Stick-QB end up the future starter?
                  Tentative Grade = C
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• charger1993
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jagged View Post
                    He did find gems, but i wanted to just focus on the draft itself

Comment

• charger1993
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Grading drafts is always an interesting exercise, but only tells part of the picture. We seem to get more out of UDFA than most teams in the league, so they kind of need to be included as well, along with FA from other teams. Looking at the entire roster is obviously the most important thing and that is usually reflected by a team's record. By most accounts we have one of the most talented rosters in the league and our record reflects it.

But just looking at drafts, TT has killed it in his last 3 (assuming this year's picks work out like I expect them to).
                      Yeah the roster plays a big part, but you can kinda see his thought process in some of these drsfts now vs when he was younger. Wben he was younger he was taking a combo of need/bpa. Hence the likes of fluker we needed a tackle so we took the best tackle left.
                      vs drafts like 2018 where derwin fell into our laps and we drafted him without thinking about it. He was a steal for us

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

the draft is a (very) tough biz.

that said, do think the Coupon God is gonna have to take his game up a notch, and sooner than later, and....

to be fair, when you talk about Telesco, and when related to personnel, you're really talking 'bout team Tommy John, as young Spanos stirs the pot as much as anyone me suspex.

that said again, Tom's job title is GM, so in effect it's his job to tell the HC and Director of Football Operations when they're off base and that they need to reevaluate things, and....

of which I don't see/sense as Telesco's strength/way in the world, as he seems to be a master of herding cats, and keeping consensus in the order that keeps most peoples happy enough, and.... don't know if that's gonna be enough/cut it going forward.

looking over Denver's roster will be surprised if they don't win the division w/about eleven wins, and think Reid and Mahomes will keep the Chiefs afloat long enough to reach the playoffs and make double digit wins, albeit prolly falling behind/being overtaken by the Bronks.

think we're looking @third in the division w/Mayock and Co. closing fast.... they have the same problems we do on their Oline, and perhaps going to replace their QB sooner than later, but their secondary just got worlds better, along w/a very decent receiving corps.... they are no gimme going forward.

Telesco's best asset is also perhaps his achilles heel (in the draft and in making personnel decisions).... he is sentimental, and of which we all love post AJ, and.... sooner or later he's gonna have to answer to the public @large, and not find himself susceptible to being smug or answering questions w/you're only as good as your (12-4) record.

enjoy it while you can Tom, and.... game needs to go up a notch.

grading drafts is tough.... would say his first couple were very avg, and after our record fell and our draft slotting rose, so did his draft selections, as would call his third and fourth years hauls a bit above avg, albeit now back to selecting at the rear of the caboose, he just returned to a (very) avg draft.... and of course that could change based on Pipkins or one of the other longshots that he took in the middle stanza, and.... don't like who he left on the table.... guys like Cajuste, Stidham, Prince, Oruwariye and Kelvin Harmon.

he has done the same thing in the past w/Star Lotulelei and Ryan Ramczyk, and....

like eye said, the draft is a tough biz.... just ask Malik McDowell and many, many others.

all that said, he did sign up for the job, and his title does read GM.

if he wants to continue to just be the de facto GM and defer to young John, then so be it and the best of luck to the all of 'em.

if he wants to do otherwise, think he's gonna have to gain some of that proverbial sand in his pants and call it like he sees it, and run astray of consensus when he deems it necessary.

and not sure he doesn't need to (Spring) clean out some AJ residue/holdover from his scouting ranks ??
                        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

will also add for anyone willing to give him slack picking @28 and the back of every round.... the Pats kicked our arse selecting at the end of every round.

learning how to stockpile more than the standard issue seven selections would help things quite a bit.... can you say Ingram/Gordon going forward.

also wonder if peoples surmise the same as eye, that if you're a good Catholic and/or young god fearing Christian man, that that goes a long way in Charger draft circles ??

and team captain, not to mention once or twice over.... is that objectively weighted in Chargers draft circles ??

and as have said many times, am an intangibles guy, and am not aware of any Chargers scout or director who has that sixth sense when it comes to drafting ??

we need one of those peoples.... along w/the metrics and other stuff.
                          RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                          X