• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I agree. I used to be the guy that waited until the 5th/6th/7th round on WR... because this is a deep draft @ WR.

But recently I got back to considering how to make this offense click again... even if Tyrod is our starter next year. The guy I settled on was KJ Hamler. Hamler replaces the deep speed we lost in Benjamin. Hamler also replaces the drag routes we used to throw to Tyrel Williams so effectively. And Hamler is a PR/KR option also.

Imagine having Hamler and Eke in the slot. MW and KA outside. Put Eke in motion pre-snap, and you have an option to hand it to Eke (Deebo-style) or hit him in the flat as a receiver. Meanwhile, you have Hamler in the opposite slot running a slant/drag to opposite side of Eke and have to consider Hamler's big play speed (4.30) while deciding who your safeties will help over the top with (KA or MW). And since I've only mentioned 4 playmakers (+QB and 5 OL)... chose whether you want to include HH pressing the deep seam or a RB out in the flats to opposite side of EKe (same side as Hamler's drag route). Defenses would have a lot to think about. I would hate to scheme against that offense...

We need some elite speed at WR...
    I like the idea of Hamler. Compared to Tyreek Hill (hopefully without the off field stuff). And yes, the Chargers need a person at WR that can move with the ball. Thats why I like Deebo Samuels - he was good with the ball. You bring up Tyrell too on those crossing drag routes. I don't think the Chargers need to go WR in R1 but they need one that is a different player than MW - who is your deep threat big target and your elite route runner in KA.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The reason you trade King now is because he is a free agent and you are not bringing him back next spring so are losing him for maybe a comp pick in 2022 Yes, your team might be weaker this year but you are also planning ahead.
      Who says we arent bringing him back? Ill ask again, why are some so down on King? And why cant we extend him this year? I dont see him breaking the bank.
      If Hayward has a down year we save nearly 10 mil but trading or releasing him after this season. His cap hit will be nearly 12 mil
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I realize this WR class is deep but I would still like to see WR taken by the 4th round at the latest. I am okay not taking Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb, even Justin Jefferson but Aiyuk at the top of the second, Mims, - many options. Find one that is fast and can catch the damn ball.

RapSheet is making it seem like Trent Williams could be traded. The Chargers have the cap space to manipulate a deal. Who knows, a 3rd plus Des King might work. or a 3/5 .

I think the Chargers will get either Trent or Peters IF they do not draft OL in 1st round
        Im not giving up an early pick and top dollar on a player on his downward swing. Not happening.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

I agree. I used to be the guy that waited until the 5th/6th/7th round on WR... because this is a deep draft @ WR.

But recently I got back to considering how to make this offense click again... even if Tyrod is our starter next year. The guy I settled on was KJ Hamler. Hamler replaces the deep speed we lost in Benjamin. Hamler also replaces the drag routes we used to throw to Tyrel Williams so effectively. And Hamler is a PR/KR option also.

Imagine having Hamler and Eke in the slot. MW and KA outside. Put Eke in motion pre-snap, and you have an option to hand it to Eke (Deebo-style) or hit him in the flat as a receiver. Meanwhile, you have Hamler in the opposite slot running a slant/drag to opposite side of Eke and have to consider Hamler's big play speed (4.30) while deciding who your safeties will help over the top with (KA or MW). And since I've only mentioned 4 playmakers (+QB and 5 OL)... chose whether you want to include HH pressing the deep seam or a RB out in the flats to opposite side of EKe (same side as Hamler's drag route). Defenses would have a lot to think about. I would hate to scheme against that offense...

We need some elite speed at WR...
          Fun stuff. But AL never gets creative and does fun stuff.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Joe Thomas on the top 4 OTs: he ranked them in this order for the Browns

Mehki Bechton: "I still have him as 1a because of his ceiling, and I don't see anything that a great OL coach can't correct"

Jedrick Wills: (ranked as 1b) "Pros; change of direction, ability to create power, ability to stop power quickly, mobility, technique is clearly the best in the draft, size
            Cons; if you watch a lot of his tape, he has had some mental lapses with penalties and getting lulled to sleep by lesser opponents"

Andrew Thomas: Thomas calls Thomas a good athlete with good technique, just that he isn’t quite as polished in run blocking and pass protection as the first two

Tristan Wirfs: "Wirfs Pros; extremely strong and powerful, smart, tough, good technique; Wirfs Cons; sometimes guys who have powerlifter lower body strength have "heavy" legs and you can see that on tape from Wirfs. His first step quickness and change of direction suddenness could be better. Overall, a great player who likely will be a tackle long term, but might be best suited to start at guard because of less than perfect mobility and suddenness. A mauler (good) but those types sometimes struggle to keep up with the athletes you see on the edge"

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Fun stuff. But AL never gets creative and does fun stuff.
              Maybe they felt with Rivers they need a certain type of offense but with Taylor they can be more imaginative.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Im not giving up an early pick and top dollar on a player on his downward swing. Not happening.
                Yeah, take care of the LT position for years... and for a decent price.

C'mon guys solve both of your problems (LT protection and WR depth/speed) with Ol' Nutty's mock... OT Thomas, WR Hamler...

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Maybe they felt with Rivers they need a certain type of offense but with Taylor they can be more imaginative.
                  I remember AL getting creative at the goal line, pulling their best player, Rivers, and putting Taylor in at QB.

FAIL.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

[QUOTE=Bolt4Knob;n984596]

I like the idea of Hamler. Compared to Tyreek Hill (hopefully without the off field stuff). And yes, the Chargers need a person at WR that can move with the ball. Thats why I like Deebo Samuels - he was good with the ball. You bring up Tyrell too on those crossing drag routes. I don't think the Chargers need to go WR in R1 but they need one that is a different player than MW - who is your deep threat big target and your elite route runner in KA.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

C'mon guys solve both of your problems (LT protection and WR depth/speed) with Ol' Nutty's mock... OT Thomas, WR Hamler...
                      Id be happy with that. A lot of ways to go in this draft, but it better include a future starters at OLT and WR.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I wouldn't hate this type of draft actually. Granted, my dream type draft is still

Simmons
                        QB or OL
                        WR or QB
                        OL WR QB

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                          Joe Thomas on the top 4 OTs: he ranked them in this order for the Browns

Mehki Bechton: "I still have him as 1a because of his ceiling, and I don't see anything that a great OL coach can't correct"

Jedrick Wills: (ranked as 1b) "Pros; change of direction, ability to create power, ability to stop power quickly, mobility, technique is clearly the best in the draft, size
                          Cons; if you watch a lot of his tape, he has had some mental lapses with penalties and getting lulled to sleep by lesser opponents"

Andrew Thomas: Thomas calls Thomas a good athlete with good technique, just that he isn’t quite as polished in run blocking and pass protection as the first two

Tristan Wirfs: "Wirfs Pros; extremely strong and powerful, smart, tough, good technique; Wirfs Cons; sometimes guys who have powerlifter lower body strength have "heavy" legs and you can see that on tape from Wirfs. His first step quickness and change of direction suddenness could be better. Overall, a great player who likely will be a tackle long term, but might be best suited to start at guard because of less than perfect mobility and suddenness. A mauler (good) but those types sometimes struggle to keep up with the athletes you see on the edge"
                          I disagree.

Voch Takes A Deep Dive Into College Football Film From Players Declaring For The Nfl Draft. Breaking Down The Players Pros, Cons, Fit, & Projection to the NF...

Comment

Working...
                          X