• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

2020 Chargers Training Camp and Final 53 Discussion

Just trying to get ready for this. Please just keep this about football and whats going on at camp. If we have one. lol

• beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

feel free to add some info as could use an assist w/things as some of these guys listed are before my time.... arrived on the Diego scene in the late seventies.

really want to look at what identity best suits a Carson/LAC football team, and have for awhile wanted to go back over rosters and see what have been the type players we have succeeded with, and.... it may be a bit simplistic, and given that am high on intangibles re: the draft and team building, really just trying to get a "sense" of what players to draft/bring in as FAs, and the such.

and not too deep into the draft quite yet, so the names are a semblance of the direction team Tommy John could point in, albeit there are many, many other options there.

where do you see as the best direction going forward for a post PR rebuild ?? what are you looking for in a player/roster build going forward in Los Angeles ??

QB * Brees, PR, Fouts, Hadl, Stan * Herbert, Burrow, Eason * personally not ready to burn a pick on a round one QB, as would rather go all in on Philip, and hoping Eason returns for another year.
    RB * LT * D’Andre Swift * think we need a do it all RB that can run, catch and block.... to replace MG3.
    RB * Butts, Natrone, Muncie, Turner * AJ Dillon * when was the last time we had a back that punished opposing defenses, and that the back seven did not look forward to facing ??
    RB * Sproles, Ekeler, Harmon, Woodhead * JJ Taylor * we good here w/Ek 'n JJ, and.... this dude might be somethin' specia!
    FB * Lo Neal, Tolbert * personally would like to have a FB on the roster for if and when we may decide to not resign Derek Watt.
    WR * Danario, Floyd, VJ * Josh Pearson * we good here too w/MW, and.... you know how we are w/UDFA oversized wideouts.
    WR * Keenan, Alworth, Joiner * CeeDee Lamb * so we resign Keenan for near $20m and doubtful that we burn a first on another route runner that high.
    WR * JJ, Chandler * Aaron Fuller * this is where I might need some input, cuz don't we need both a slot receiver that is the constant thorn in the opposing side's D, and then someone that takes the top off the D ?? two different players/receivers me thinx ??
    TE * Winslow, Gates, HH * Jake Ferguson * Tony Pauline thinks this guy is a first round talent, and you know he can block coming from Wisconsin.... a good Chargers roster has a star @TE.
    OT * McNeill, Roman Oben * not sure Scott is the guy here, and then again not sure he is that far off ??
    OG * Dielman, Goff, Walt Sweeney, Ed White, Doug Wilkerson * Biadasz * this guy plays center for Wisconsin, but his mentality/intangibles more closely resembles this bunch than Ol' Nick.
    OC * Hardwick * guess we don't value the center position so much ?? Jake Hanson held his own against Derrick Brown and is a tad undersized/weight, similar to Nick when he came into the league.

DT * Jamal, Aubrayo, Norman Hand * Derrick Brown * big hands, big heart, big anchor is what we need to make the D real, for a real time Carson Chargers roster.
    DT * Louie Kelcher, Liuget, Castillo, Parella * these guys have been the unsung heroes on a lot of Chargers' rosters, albeit think we're full for now w/Jerry, Cortez and JJ here.
    DE * Gary Johnson, Fred Dean, Deacon Jones, Leslie O’Neal, Bosa * obviously we are very good here w/Joey 'n Rochell, and.... Jones was much more a Ram than Bolt me thinx.
    LEO * Merriman * Curtis Weaver * know we good w/Supa Mel, and this guy has not gone unnoticed by me.... who are your guys wu and how much draft capital are you willing to dole out here ??
    OTTO * Plummer, Billy Ray * Evan Weaver, Paddy Fisher * could make a sneaky good mid round/day three pick here, for if and when Nwosu slides down to LEO a bit more, and provide reinforcements for Egbule.
    MIKE * Takeo, Denzel, Jr. * am a Perryman stalwart, so have no interest in moving on from him, and like Jon Bostic in FA, and.... surely there is someone in this draft class worth keeping an eye on here.
    WIL * Donnie Edwards * don't care how many WILLIS guys we got on this roster, if the next mentioned player is on the board when we draft round one, hard pressed to pass on a top ten talent.
    SS * Rodney, Derwin * Isaiah Simmons * we couldn't be more set, and.... don't think it wise to pass on this guy if he's sitting there for you round one.
    FS * Weddle * do we need a heady FS, or are we good w/Nasir ?? is it worth placing a hedge bet here, or are we already good w/Watkins ??
    CB * Cro, Verrett * Jaylon Johnson, AJ Green * yep, we need a cover corner replacement for Trevor.
    CB * Desmond, Jammer * Nevelle Clark * this guy would be a CB2, and a more physical version in the image/spirit of Quentin.

is it possible to get AL two RBs ?? one LTesque, and another Natrone/Michael Turneresque ?? can we balance out our weight loss collection of LBs and get some guys that will impose their will on the opposing run game every now and then ?? is it too much to ask for a punishing LB on D, and a punishing RB on O ??

and personally not sold on scouting keys such as team captain and good Catholic, or church goer/choir boy, or like such.... prefer the more low key/not head cases variety of Chargers, players that are more deeds and not so much words, and.... not sayin' that I can't handle/take in a showboat or two.... just sayin' that I'd like the Chargers to be known as a pretty good bunch of peoples, that damn straight put their heads down and play good football on Sundays.

(who are some past Chargers that embody the intangibles/mindset that you think make up a SB worthy Chargers roster ?)
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgONzVArfTk

not sayin' this is the way to do it.... just an example.
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/

have at it peoples, and.... pls share,

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

It is early, beach.
          Here's my amateur effort.

ROUND 1
          Derrick Brown (Earl Faison) Auburn DT
          We need a lead dog at DT,
          to finish the rotation of Tillery & Justin Jones.
          I see a 1TECH/3TECH combo
          with great strength and ability to anchor.
          Replaces Mebane at 1TECH #1.

Henry Ruggs III (Anthony Miller)
          Extraordinary speed (4.2 Forty !) with some route running savvy.
          Replaces Travis Benjamin at WR#3.

Julian Okwara (Fred Dean) Notre Dame OLB
          Explosive EDGE/OTTO hybrid. Good bloodlines.
          Rounds out front seven core w/Nwosu & Egbule.
          Replaces Melvin Ingram.

Bryce Hall (Quentin Jammer) Virginia CB
          Zone Corner fits our scheme.
          Sound tackler.
          Replaces Brandon Facyson,
          although I would consider
          moving Nasir Adderley back to Corner.

ROUND 2
          Shane Lemieux (Kris Dielman) Oregon OG
          Chunky, powerful build. Round two talent.
          We need to invest in IOL AGAIN.
          Replaces Michael Schofield III.

Zach Moss (Michael Turner) Utah RB
          I really like this guy, and I like him for us.
          He is a perfect complement to Ekeler & Justin Jackson.
          Capable of taking on the feature back role.
          Replaces Melvin Gordon III.

Cole Kmet (Hunter Henry) Notre Dame TE
          Good two way Tight End, gives us a near perfect match for Hunter Henry.
          We can make a lot of hay with two two way TEs.
          Replaces Virgil Green.

I am taking available cap space
          and signing a somewhat overpriced but experienced
          mid level Swing Tackle,
          as we wait for Trey Pipkins to develop.
          We need this over another young tackle.
          I want defensive pieces,
          with a playmaker mixed in.
          Obviously the Oline must be addressed,
          but be selective. Do not overcompensate unwisely.

​​​​​​​YMMV.
          You don't know ball

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            I am taking available cap space
            and signing a somewhat overpriced but experienced
            mid level Swing Tackle,
            as we wait for Trey Pipkins to develop.
            We need this over another young tackle.

Obviously the Oline must be addressed,
            but be selective. Do not overcompensate unwisely.

​​​​​​​YMMV.
            am looking to draft an OC.... after that am bringing in a lot of OLs,

don't think Russell is coming back, and even if he is thinking about it, think you can get a better deal/more value by paying Andrew Whitworth.... $23m/2 years ??
            gonna go w/the advise of the Boltnut Scouting Bureau (from a few years back) and do my best to bring in Conklin @RT.... $15m/3 years ??
            next up gonna take a gambit on the roundly dismissed Packer, Jason Spriggs.... $10m/4 years ??
            re: your swing tackle suggestion, gonna get after Benjamin Ijalana…. $3m/3 year contract offer ??
            another guy that I'd bring in/go after is former Notre Dame Olineman, Alex Bars.... $1m/2 years ??

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              I want defensive pieces,
              with a playmaker mixed in.

​​​​​​​YMMV.
              far as your playmaker, wondering if we could make a run @Von Miller.... $50m/2 years ??
              or if he's not havin' it, how 'bout Shaquil Barrett.... $20m/2 years ??
              must haves for me include Danny Shelton.... $12m/3 years ??
              and ILB Jon Bostic.... $6m/3 years

and to afford/pay for all this am not resigning the following.... Travis, Okung, Pouncey, the Melvins, Mebane, Scho, Square, AP, Dzub, Kendricks, Geremy D., Jatavis, Watt and Cantrell

the guys eye am holding onto going forward include.... Hunter, Dontrelle, Jaylen Watkins, Rochell, Culkin, Ekeler, Mike D. and T. Scott

am offering PR $60m/2 years.... $25m in 2020, and $35m in 2021, w/the latter year being fully voidable by both sides ??

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

am obviously w/you on D. Brown, and have a sneaky good feeling about Julian Okwara, albeit wish he'd be there in the second, rather than the first.

Bryce Hall is the same in would rather wait on him 'til day two/round three, as some say he's a bit stiff and as there is some injury/durability concern w/him.

and Ruggs could be really good, and.... this receiving corps is astoundingly deep and would prefer linemen early, and to pick out a gem in the mid to later rounds.

have no notes on Lemieux, the only note I have on Zach Moss is that he's an injury concern, and had not even listed Kmet as of yet.... (he def passes the eyeball test tho).

and nice'm w/Earl Faison.... a preemptive talent it sounds like,

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/6-pack-thursday--gms-that-got-it-right-last-offseason

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Nothing says "Chargers" like Lorenzo Neal, DT, Purdue.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I agree with Eagles GM... your 1st round draft choices should always be: passers, pass blockers, pass rushers. Everything else can wait until rounds 2-7.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        Nothing says "Chargers" like Lorenzo Neal, DT, Purdue.
                        It is Lorenzo Neal JR.
                        He is a solid run stuffing IDL. Plays with leverage, heavy hands, power, and good flexibility.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂