Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Brock Bowers N.M.W.
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Seven Round Mock

Expanding on "Your first 3 rounds"...but if you mods think it's redundant, just roll it all together. Thanks.

Here goes nothin'...

1. Justing Herbert QB Oregon- Still have no clue how we roll here, but Simmons, Tua, Herbert are all great options for me without trading up. Any one of those I would be happy to have fall to 6. But I will just pick one and go on...after becoming somewhat disappointed in his career tape, I really liked how Herbert responded to 1 week of new coaching, coming out big against his competition at the Senior Bowl. Interviews I have seen with the kid have really won me over. Did Oregon fail to really bring out the best in this kid? Is there untapped potential? To me, no better or worse a gamble/question than relying on Tua's health...or taking Simmons and going Hurts later...all three are hard but fair and worthwhile bets...in this mock, I'll go with Herbert.

2. Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin- If our offense is going to be emphasizing run and RPO, this position is key...Eke is a weapon, not a feature back...we give him 25-30 touches and he goes down, JJ won't cut it...season over... and although there are studs to be had in later rounds in any draft, I don't believe TT takes chances on this important piece. Taylor has great size, speed, instincts...but he is also experienced and polished...ready to roll day 1.

3. Adam Trautman TE Dayton- 2 TE sets can be a run first offense's best friend...and also a young QB's best friend...not to mention a TE here would be a good insurance policy against Henry not playing nice next off season. This prospect shows pro talent, athleticism, and size...had he been groomed at a big school, he may well have been a first or second round pick. What I really like about this kid is that although he is a little raw in some areas, there is nothing he doesn't do well, or with gusto...he isn't just a receiving TE or blocking TE...he is both. Did I mention ex QB?

4. Devin Devurnay WR Texas- The only reason I think we can still get this kid in the 4th is because the sheer numbers of talented WR prospects have pushed him down the board. Lil' Steve Smith has wheels, even if he needs some route work. Nice compliment to our WR Corps...far cry from "Benji the Broken".

5. Troy Pride Jr. CB Notre Dame- Almost made it out the draft without adding some Irish...but it's all good. Pesky little zone corner who's biggest knock seems to be polish, and confidence and aggressiveness to step up his game...Chris, Casey, Derwin, and the rest of the Jack Boyz will fix that.

6. Alex Taylor OT South Carolina State- Finally. Oline. I think this team really likes Pipkens, but we hedge the bet with a developmental guy, who will also push Tevi and Scott to keep their jobs(at least as OTs). Free agency(Bulaga), Trade(Turner), new coach(Campen), and healthy players(Lamp, Pouncey) will be the plan for the oline this year.

7. Evan Weaver LB California- This guy's athleticism(mediocre) will cause teams to just forget about him, but he always happens to be where the football is, hence his production. He is a football player, and we just dropped three linebackers, while signing only one. For depth and special teams, this guy is a steal.
    Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
    (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
    23. A. Mitchell WR
    37. K. Jenkins DT
    69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
    110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
    181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
    253. K. Vidal RB
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

I like your first two picks but after the second round it becomes BPA if a player the chargers like drops. So if they have a high grade (second round) and the player drops to top of third anything can change.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Hey Lone Bolt, I could definitely see us going your route. Especially if they see Pipkins as a viable LT option. Herbert would generate excitement as the move into the new stadium. And I have mock drafted Johnathan Taylor @ #37 myself many times. Like you, I see us drafting TE kind of early as insurance for Henry. Also, I see us going for a speedy WR to replace TB. We see eye to eye on a lot of stuff. Our major difference is OT and QB needs... I'll post my 7-rounder shortly.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Boltnut's 7-round mock...

1st: OT Andrew Thomas. I don't believe that Pipkins has progressed enough to be LT starter. Andrew Thomas is a much better run blocker (best in the OT class) and would be a plug-and-play OT that would allow AL to do what he was brought here to do. Thomas is strong enough to defeat 1st level block and get onto the 2nd level... no other OT in the class is as good at this aspect. His pass blocking is very good. Good balance, pre-snap alignment, and foot speed when pass-blocking. He won't need help from RB's and TE's... allowing us to use our weapons... like weapons. IMO, there is a huge drop-off in talent after the 1st round.

2nd: WR KJ Hamler. I usually don't advocate taking WR's and RB's this high. But, we lack speed at the WR position now that we have cut TB. And Hamler has 4.3 speed. I really like his YAC. He lines up in the slot and on the outside. He'll create more space for the other WR's/TE's underneath and demand safety attention. Why should the Chiefs enjoy all the speed...? Time to turn the tables! Initially, I was looking for WR value in later rounds... but the speed just isn't there. A lot of my favorite late-round WR favorites disappointed with timed 40's at the combine.

3rd: WILL Akeem Davis-Gaither. Here is a kid that caught my attention many months ago (back when he was viewed as a 5th round prospect). There is not a lot of tape on him. But the limited amount that exists, shows he has everything the Chargers are looking for in a WILL. I really like his intensity and recognition. Strong vs. the run despite his size. Very good in coverage... which will be most important for Chargers. With the departures of Thomas Davis and Adrian Phillips, the WILL position will be high on Chargers need list. Didn't run the 40 @ the combine but you can see he plays fast on tape.

4th: TE Harrison Bryant. I would love to get a better well-rounded TE that can also block. But almost none of this year's prospects are very good blockers. Bryant is only 243 lbs. but has the frame to add weight. He's from a small school (FAU) so not a lot of tape on him. But the tape I've seen leads me to believe that he'll be as good as many of the prospects rated before him. Decent speed, finds open spots in the defense, and has good hands. We need insurance for HH in case he leaves next year or gets injured. Can run 2 TE sets once his run-blocking improves.

5th: QB Anthony Gordon. I really like him. Accurate passer. Mobile, although he doesn't run much. Doesn't have great arm strength but does hit receivers in stride. Huge number of attempts in a Mike Leach offense with relatively few turnovers. His slight frame is probably what scouts don't like about him. But I don't think his body type and below-average arm strength will scare off TT and AL. He actually is very similar to ES and TT in style and body type. The focus of this offense will be the running game, not the passing game. Run will set up pass. I do believe that Anthony Gordon is a better passer than both Stick and Taylor. Would love to see Gordon hit Hamler on quick slants.

6th: RB Joshua Kelly. Sleeper pick in a deep class of RB's. 1-cut RB that sees holes and aggressively cuts up field when the opportunity is there. I've considered picking RB earlier (Johnathan Taylor) but TT gets great value in RB's later in the draft. Showed really well at the Senior Bowl. Has the frame to add a little more muscle. I have no problem going RBBC. And all 3 RB's are good receivers that can be on the field in multiple formations/situations.

7th: EDGE Tipa Galeai. Raw prospect from a small school. Has the frame (6'5") to add weight (235 lbs.) Will we move on from Melvin Ingram in 2021? Joey's contract is up at the same time as Melvin's... I don't think Chargers could/should pay both. I think they go with the younger, more productive Bosa. Chargers need depth at DE/OTTO. Last year I touted later round talent from a small school (Maxx Crosby). I don't think Galeai will be as good as Crosby... but I see potential value to develop.

Alright, there it is! Feedback...?

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

Some interesting picks nutty...not the usual suspects...but I gotta slam the Gordon pick...I really do think he is a college guy, and won't hold up in the pros...a system guy.
          Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
          (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
          23. A. Mitchell WR
          37. K. Jenkins DT
          69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
          110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
          181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
          253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            Some interesting picks nutty...not the usual suspects...but I gotta slam the Gordon pick...I really do think he is a college guy, and won't hold up in the pros...a system guy.
            People said the same thing about my touting of Gardner Minchew last year. Then he went out and had the highest pff score of any rookie QB...

I don't think the Chargers are looking for the same kind of QB that most posters want. They're looking for a QB that is mobile (not running), accurate (rather than strong-armed)... and most importantly... doesn't turn the ball over. IMO, doesn't have to be a 1st round calibur QB. We will be running the ball this year... I think it's a big reason PR and AL clashed last year and PR was released. Finish off that OL with a LT that moves people in the run game. You won't find a more effective OT than Andrew Thomas in the run game...especially at the 2nd level...

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
              Both of us have a couple of the same. I didn't write anything up as i will probably change it some, but not drastically.

I just don't have us going with a CB and have two WRs drafted. This is a weak TE class imo so didn't want to reach for one. And for running the ball we still have Green for 2 TE sets.

Obviously I have a RB going later but I'd be ok with Taylor in the 2nd.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Both of us have a couple of the same. I didn't write anything up as i will probably change it some, but not drastically.

I just don't have us going with a CB and have two WRs drafted. This is a weak TE class imo so didn't want to reach for one. And for running the ball we still have Green for 2 TE sets.

Obviously I have a RB going later but I'd be ok with Taylor in the 2nd.
                I don't have a CB either as we picked up Chris Harris in FA. Virgil Green will be an asset as we run the ball more. Not sure that we need 2 WR's... especially as we run more and have 2 very good WR's already. The only thing we're missing at WR is a fast guy to stretch the field. I would be OK with Johnathan Taylor, too. But RB class is so deep this draft.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't have a CB either as we picked up Chris Harris in FA. Virgil Green will be an asset as we run the ball more. Not sure that we need 2 WR's... especially as we run more and have 2 very good WR's already. The only thing we're missing at WR is a fast guy to stretch the field. I would be OK with Johnathan Taylor, too. But RB class is so deep this draft.
                  We are missing a decent #3 in case we have an injury or when we go 3 WR sets. If Keenan or MW goes down, we got nobody to pick up the slack.....and we are missing a fast WR. Not only is Duvernay fast, he has very good hands and my other, Johnson has good speed at 4.47, he is a good player that could go sooner.

I'm just thinking some WRs will slide its so deep. He also has good body control, good ball skills, and Is a ex QB for those trick plays. I like him almost as well as Duvernay but he isnt as fast.
                  Two good ones to groom for if we lose Keenan if he asks for 15-17, mil per season in 2021.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We are missing a decent #3 in case we have an injury or when we go 3 WR sets. If Keenan or MW goes down, we got nobody to pick up the slack.....and we are missing a fast WR. Not only is Duvernay fast, he has very good hands and my other, Johnson has good speed at 4.47, he is a good player that could go sooner.

I'm just thinking some WRs will slide its so deep. He also has good body control, good ball skills, and Is a ex QB for those trick plays. I like him almost as well as Duvernay but he isnt as fast.
                    Two good ones to groom for if we lose Keenan if he asks for 15-17, mil per season in 2021.
                    Yeah, I hear you about WR depth/speed. We definitely need better speed. That's why I mock Hamler in the 2nd (4.27 speed). Also consider that we will use Eke in the slot often. If KA or MW should get injured, you could still go 3 WR sets (MW/KA, Hamler, Eke) and still have speed. Another way to add WR depth is through FA after the draft. I just believe that 2nd WR draft selection could be used to draft another position (DE, WILL, TE, RB...).

We'll have big decisions on who to re-sign next year (Melvin Ingram, Joey Bosa, Isaac Rochelle)... Keenan Allen... Hunter Henry... Tyrod Taylor... Denzel Perryman... Desmond King...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Yeah, I hear you about WR depth/speed. We definitely need better speed. That's why I mock Hamler in the 2nd (4.27 speed). Also consider that we will use Eke in the slot often. If KA or MW should get injured, you could still go 3 WR sets (MW/KA, Hamler, Eke) and still have speed. Another way to add WR depth is through FA after the draft. I just believe that 2nd WR draft selection could be used to draft another position (DE, WILL, TE, RB...).

We'll have big decisions on who to re-sign next year (Melvin Ingram, Joey Bosa, Isaac Rochelle)... Keenan Allen... Hunter Henry... Tyrod Taylor... Denzel Perryman... Desmond King...
                      I like Hamler but he is so small. Where did he run a 4.27?
                      I know he is fast but he didnt run at the combine and his pro day got called off.

As for​ Ekeler, ...im not counting him as a WR. Yes he will be in the slot at times but we need WRs too. Why not get two in a deep class when value will be there?

After this season, id surely let Ingram walk, Rochelle does nothing for me but he is cheap. Not worth paying more money for. He offers little as a pass rusher and we can draft another.

Keenan stays if he dont ask for the moon. If he does, Cya. Bosa getting your dough Bro. King is a keeper.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-28-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

am resigning Rochell, Denzel and Desmond, and.... trading Joey asap.

would also be looking to trade Mel, Keenan and Hunter when the time comes, and.... sooner than later.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍