• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RageTheory View Post
    My personal preference is Okudah, Simmons, Wirfs, then Tua.

If Okudah and Simmons are drafted prior to #6 (most likely as I read things), then Wirfs would be the best option, although I hope TT first explores a small step down (possibly with the Panthers, who need a DT like Derrick Brown a lot more than an offensive tackle). Barring a trade-down, Wirfs at #6 is not a bad pick at all and I think helps Taylor quite a bit.

If Okudah or Simmons are available (unless a couple of teams lose their minds and trade up resulting in three drafted QBs in the first five; unlikely that both would be available), I hope TT drafts that person. Okudah strike me as shut-down quality, and Simmons on the field with Bosa would give OCs sleepless nights..

If Okudah, Simmons, and Wirfs are all gone, I hope TT tries to trade down. In this scenario, both Tua and Herbert are likely still available (cannot see a scenario where #1 and #2 are not Burrow and Young) and there should be a market for the #6 pick with Derrick Brown and three of the top four OTs still on the board. Getting Tua or Herbert around pick 12-16 and adding a low-2nd / high-3rd would be ideal.
    my question is what has the most impact.... adding a solid starting tackle on O, or adding a dynamo on D ??

to date what has impacted our win column more.... the return of Okung or Derwin ??
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• RageTheory
      Gilbride Era Survivor
      • Apr 2020
      • Tulsa, OK
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

my question is what has the most impact.... adding a solid starting tackle on O, or adding a dynamo on D ??

to date what has impacted our win column more.... the return of Okung or Derwin ??
      DJ came back early.. respect him for his effort, but by the time he did so it was already a lost season so hard to use that as a measure of significance. I would say James' impact is more significant from the time each started with the team (to use a baseball term, James has a much higher WinsOverReplacement rating).

Left to my preferences, yes the Chargers make every effort to get Okudah if Detroit passes on him at 1.3.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I feel like Tua has a one in three or one in four chance of staying healthy and being awesome. But if he’s awesome, with the talent we’ve got, I think we’re a Super Bowl contender in 1-2 years. If he busts, we’re right back here in 3-4 years. Take the chance on greatness if he slides to six. We’re stuck in the same division with the best you g QB in football and he’s gonna be kicking our ass for the next 10-15 years unless we’ve got someone to go toe to toe with him.

I also like Simmons and Brown and think they’re both elite prospects. Add one of them and the defense could be scary.
        Last edited by Parcells; 04-22-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
          I feel like Tua has a one in three or one in four chance of staying healthy and being awesome. But if he’s awesome, with the talent we’ve got, I think we’re a Su per Bowl contender in 1-2 years. If he busts, we’re right back here in 3-4 years. Take the chance on greatness if he slides to six. We’re stuck in the same division with the best you g QB in football and he’s gonna be kicking our ass for the next 10-15 years unless we’ve got someone to go toe to toe with him.

I also like Simmons and Brown and think they’re both elite prospects. Add one of them and the defense could be scary.
          Tua for me is simply far too risky. If he played any other position he would automatically be given a 1-2 round downgrade or be taken completely off the board.

If Simmons is still on the board, he is the must pick.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• chargerkdb
            Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Hotter than hell, Georgia
            • Send PM

I honestly think we would only be considering Tua for a big name splash to market in what is becoming a disastrous move to LA. If that’s the route we go we probably need to be working an extension for Tyrod. If as the majority of the “pick QB now” camp are right in that picking at 6 is our best chance a getting our QB of the future then we should push hard to move up for Burrow. I honestly don’t see Cincinnati shipping that pick and it would cost a ransom but it would be “possibly” best chance at franchise QB and definitely the sort of PR splash the Bolts need to make something out of push for fans in LA.

There isn’t an easy choice. Roll the dice on Tua, bet the farm on Burrow or take a QB in 2nd and see revenue continue to tank in LA.

Comment

• nomad1946
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2017
              • West Yellowstone, Montana
              • Retired
              • Send PM

If he drops to #71 I would take a chance on him.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post
                If he drops to #71 I would take a chance on him.
                I would consider him risky at #6. That’s why I think QB in 2nd. If he was there at 33 I’d have no issue moving up to get him. His talent isn’t the issue. If we got Simmons at 6 and he dropped to 33 I’d light the Cigar. Someone will take Tua in first I just don’t want it to be us.

Comment

• marconi
                  Air Apparent
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Adventure Land
                  • Help people live their dreams
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
                  I honestly think we would only be considering Tua for a big name splash to market in what is becoming a disastrous move to LA. If that’s the route we go we probably need to be working an extension for Tyrod. If as the majority of the “pick QB now” camp are right in that picking at 6 is our best chance a getting our QB of the future then we should push hard to move up for Burrow. I honestly don’t see Cincinnati shipping that pick and it would cost a ransom but it would be “possibly” best chance at franchise QB and definitely the sort of PR splash the Bolts need to make something out of push for fans in LA.

There isn’t an easy choice. Roll the dice on Tua, bet the farm on Burrow or take a QB in 2nd and see revenue continue to tank in LA.

I hate to say it but I think chargerkdrb hit the nail on the head.

It's not going to be what's best for team in the long run, it's going to be what Spamos believes is going to sell tickets and help him possibly save some face from the disaster he has created.

I still think we should go OT but that is not a sexy pick. I also think that some team will move up to take Tua so he may not be a choice.
                  I really didn't think it would be plausible for them to move up to number one, but desperate times, make for desperate choices.

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I hate making a move because it's a splash and the team thinks it will sell tickets. But I think he's got a chance to fall to 6 because he's got the risk. If he didn't have the health risk, he might be going #1 ahead of Burrow. I concede that it's more likely than not to work out, but if the goal is to win a Super Bowl we've got to take some risks.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                      I hate making a move because it's a splash and the team thinks it will sell tickets. But I think he's got a chance to fall to 6 because he's got the risk. If he didn't have the health risk, he might be going #1 ahead of Burrow. I concede that it's more likely than not to work out, but if the goal is to win a Super Bowl we've got to take some risks.
                      I don’t get how Tua could “fall” to #6. Regardless of talent his injury history requires a minimum of a full round downgrade. At any other position it would be 2 rounds. It’s a massive risk with multiple medical red flags.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• RiversMamba
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

A few Tua Tagovailoa stats per Cameron Wolfe:

He was the most efficient QB in CFB history with a 199.4 career passer efficiency.

He has the best career TD-INT ratio (7.91, 87 TDs-to-11 INTs) in FBS history with min of 70 pass TDs.

He has the best QBR (93.5) & YPA (10.88) since at least 2004.

If he’s there at 6, we take him. If he stays healthy and sniffs his ceiling, we’re a top 5 team in the short term and a likely perennial PO team for the next decade, if he’s broke, we’ve swung and are back to a high pick.

Let’s not forget about putting butts in seats and the financial benefit of a rookie contract at the QB position.
                        Honestly, it’s a no brainer. Sketchy yes, but logical and likely.
                        Last edited by RiversMamba; 04-22-2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

I can see us passing on Tua and raping some other team for draft Picks. It would be fun to do so because I think Hurts will become the better NFL player. Why? Availability and Durability. I would rather draft Ruggs or Lamb at #6 than Tua even if he becomes a good player.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡