Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Gordon Wants To Stay...Should They Let Him Come Back?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Gordon Wants To Stay...Should They Let Him Come Back?

Melvin Gordon wants to stay on the Chargers. Should they let him come back?

image.png
    https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...-austin-ekeler

No! Gordon let his team down with that ill-advised holdout!
    64.10%
    Yes! Let's give Gordon another chance!
    12.82%
    Other--see my answer
    23.08%

Both parties need to move on.
    id be disappointed in Telesco if he considered paying MG.
    #32 Alohi Gilman - 2020 Adopt-a-Bolt

Comment

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Both parties need to move on.
      id be disappointed in Telesco if he considered paying MG.
      Just for the heck of it, I think TT should give Gordon a lowball offer, like $3 mil a year, NO signing bonus, a two year deal with an option of 1+1 more years, and an escalator of a half a mil a year for NOT holding out...

Comment

Pollcat at it again...I selected other, because though my answer is no, it's not out of revenge for letting the team down. I like Melvin, but think he was foolish...but a myriad of issues haunted the Bolts this year.

Problem is, and I admit I feel some sympathy for RBs in this league, it would be way smarter to get a draft pick to replace him. RBs, relative to other positions, often have most of their best years earlier in their career...and have one of, if not the shortest, average career span.

I think the system needs to be tweaked a bit, now that we have learned more. I would like to see the 5th year option be like a franchise tag that doesn't count against the franchise tag...maybe not quite as much...say 75% of what a franchise tag would cost. The player would get a significant raise the 5th year, to help prevent holdouts. But also, holdout rules should be stiffened, to punish the greedy...player to acrue maybe 12 games a year before being eligible for FA.

Just ideas, mind you. I do really feel a little sorry for the RBs...relatively speaking. In reality, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who makes more than I ever will their first few years in the league, lol...but that is an old argument.
        Like54Ninjas is The Powdered Blues Premiere Draftnik Extraordinaire!!

...and not just cuz I lost the bet...thanks for the contributions!

Comment

I wouldn't move on from Gordon because of the holdout, I'd move on from him because he isn't worth close to what he is asking for and who knows how long his micro-fracture repaired knee will hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            I wouldn't move on from Gordon because of the holdout, I'd move on from him because he isn't worth close to what he is asking for and who knows how long his micro-fracture repaired knee will hold up.
            I'd like to have him back. The issue is how much - the holdout is irrelevant.

Do they expect to compete next year with K.C.? Do they trust their ability to pick out an rb early on day 3?

These are the unanswered questions.

Comment

He is a guy I'd wait til after the draft to resign but I think someone will sign him a lot sooner than that.

I really like Gordon but think we can do as well and cheaper with a draft pick in rounds 2-3.
              JJ really played well, just needs to be more durable.

Now if Gordon is willing to take under 10 mil a year, then great.

Comment

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                I don't think that knee procedure is even an issue. It's been a while since he had it and if it isn't failing by now, I'd say it is good.

Those are known to fail very early if they do.

Comment

If I'm in TT's shoes on this one I'd say something like, "We've appreciated MG in his time here and believe he's earned the right to test FA and realize his full monetary value. Hopefully he'll give us a call before he signs somewhere so we can have a chance to match".

If somebody wants to give him a lot or a long term deal, good for them and hopefully we get a better comp pick.
                  If he can't get a good deal from someone else around the league but wants to sign somewhere before the season starts (rather than waiting around for a call if someone gets hurt somewhere and a team gets desperate/stupid), we may be able to get him cheap on a prove-it type deal with certain incentives or options that make it both player and team friendly short-term. He could have some value to us if we are to be a run-heavy team and he wants to be part of a 3-headed monster.
                  But Ekeler is the priority.

Comment

Melvin wasn’t worth (not even close) the money he was holding out for.

Just as importantly, Melvin’s “game” has evolved - not in a good way - over his pro career. He’s no longer a break-away threat and, while a physical runner, not one to punish the defense. He’s, in short, not superior in any part of his game - a barometer of a top-paid RB.

Compounding these issues is Ekeler will need to be paid and Justin Jackson, in my opinion, his highly underrated. JJ’s heroics against the Steelers last year and his 2 long touchdown runs called-back due to penalty early in 2019 show his potential.

Bring-in a mid-round 2020 draft pick who can also be the short-yardage back and the Chargers are set for years. Troymaine Pope is also the perfect #4 back.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                      Pollcat at it again...I selected other, because though my answer is no, it's not out of revenge for letting the team down. I like Melvin, but think he was foolish...but a myriad of issues haunted the Bolts this year.

Problem is, and I admit I feel some sympathy for RBs in this league, it would be way smarter to get a draft pick to replace him. RBs, relative to other positions, often have most of their best years earlier in their career...and have one of, if not the shortest, average career span.

I think the system needs to be tweaked a bit, now that we have learned more. I would like to see the 5th year option be like a franchise tag that doesn't count against the franchise tag...maybe not quite as much...say 75% of what a franchise tag would cost. The player would get a significant raise the 5th year, to help prevent holdouts. But also, holdout rules should be stiffened, to punish the greedy...player to acrue maybe 12 games a year before being eligible for FA.

Just ideas, mind you. I do really feel a little sorry for the RBs...relatively speaking. In reality, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who makes more than I ever will their first few years in the league, lol...but that is an old argument.
                      Good ideas, there, Lone, especially stiffening rules on holdouts. Regarding the year 5 raise, what's kind of baffling is that Gordon was already due a very nice 5th year raise, from $1.8 mil a year to $4.6 mil...but he held out anyway. Look:

image.png
                      https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...-gordon-16739/

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        He is a guy I'd wait til after the draft to resign but I think someone will sign him a lot sooner than that.

I really like Gordon but think we can do as well and cheaper with a draft pick in rounds 2-3.
                        JJ really played well, just needs to be more durable.

Now if Gordon is willing to take under 10 mil a year, then great.
                        Gordon blew his chance at $10 mil a year...if I'm TT, first of all, I draft a RB...then, let MG3 test the FA market...if he gets no offers, TT should totally play hardball...$3-4 mil a year, take it or leave it...with some stiff non-holdout language...u hold out, adios, amigo...

Comment

Working...
                        X