First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    Meyer is assembling a staff. Decision on Jacksonville to be announced this coming week? You are putting together a staff, but haven't announced/decided yet? Don't understand all the secrecy...
    Perhaps he hasn’t decided on a team? Having said that, there are enough to the Jags rumors to think this is the likely outcome.

Leave a comment:

• Lone Bolt
    replied
    Meyer is assembling a staff. Decision on Jacksonville to be announced this coming week? You are putting together a staff, but haven't announced/decided yet? Don't understand all the secrecy...

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    He’s going to the Jags IMO.

Leave a comment:

• BoltUp InLA
    replied
    Originally posted by Tol View Post
    Good on the Chargers for showing interest in Meyer. Hopefully they are serious. If Gruden is paid 10 mil a year, and Carroll is worth 11, then Urban Meyer at 12 is an understandable asking price for the quality of coach he is and what he can do to transform your organization. If the Chargers FO is serious about establishing a "championship-caliber program," then leave everything on the table in pursuing Urban Meyer. If that means 12 mil a year and more control, then so be it. Telesco is on the hot seat anyway, relinquishing some control over personnel is not as bad as being fired. Giving your coach (who knows college athletes, assistant coaches and scouts) more control over personnel seems like a good thing. TT can still handle managing the cap and player contracts.
    That makes the most sense to me. TT has had plenty of time to establish a consistent winner. Please bring in someone that will command respect, help unify the Chargers base, and generate the buzz to really establish a fan base in LA. This move would be a win win for the Chargers organization in my opinion!!

Overall, I have not followed college ball like I once did, except for draft prospects, but the more I learn about Meyer, the more impressed I have become. From his early days at Utah I believe with Alex Smith as his QB, all he has done is transform programs into consistent winners!

Leave a comment:

• Tol
    replied
    Good on the Chargers for showing interest in Meyer. Hopefully they are serious. If Gruden is paid 10 mil a year, and Carroll is worth 11, then Urban Meyer at 12 is an understandable asking price for the quality of coach he is and what he can do to transform your organization. If the Chargers FO is serious about establishing a "championship-caliber program," then leave everything on the table in pursuing Urban Meyer. If that means 12 mil a year and more control, then so be it. Telesco is on the hot seat anyway, relinquishing some control over personnel is not as bad as being fired. Giving your coach (who knows college athletes, assistant coaches and scouts) more control over personnel seems like a good thing. TT can still handle managing the cap and player contracts.

Leave a comment:

• gzubeck
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
    In my opinion Meyer is by far the best choice and worth whatever he wants. More than likely he will win a Super Bowl wherever he goes, I think he is that good. Another one of these coaches might be great too but they are all a crapshoot.
    Not with the Jags. If he took over the chargers he could compete next season. With the Jags it's going to take at least two seasons before they sniff the playoffs. Like everything in life Money talks bullshit walks.

Leave a comment:

• PhilaBoltster
    replied
    In my opinion Meyer is by far the best choice and worth whatever he wants. More than likely he will win a Super Bowl wherever he goes, I think he is that good. Another one of these coaches might be great too but they are all a crapshoot.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

LaCanfora mentioned something along the lines that Meyer is interested in teh Chargers but not sure its a fit.

I don't get it - guy would be a grand slam home run hire.
    Depends on if he wants control of personel. That isnt a grad slam hire. To coach the team it is but we have a GM and if Telesco is willing to work with Meyer and vice versa...and the HC usually does and TT has said so in his conference call,...thats one thing but if Meyer wants to wear the GM hat and say who he wants to sign as FA's and dole out the contracts, etc...he has NO experience in that at all as Saban didnt.

It just depends on what Meyer has in mind and if all that is what he has in mind, i dont blame Dean for passing on him. It could be a disaster. Til things are said, we dont know what he wants to be.

Harbaugh signed an extention and took LESS money to stay at Michigan. He is getting HALF his salary with incentives to make more so clearly he had no interest in leaving Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LOL, agree. I do think that is the only thing holding Meyer back from us though. We have Herbert and Bosa and a lot better tram than Jax but if he wants some control he just isnt going to get it here and he has zero experience with players who get paid and having expiring contracts and such.

If he is willing to work with a GM than perhaps but depends on the control he wants.
    LaCanfora mentioned something along the lines that Meyer is interested in teh Chargers but not sure its a fit.

I don't get it - guy would be a grand slam home run hire.

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

As Kevin Acee once said about Dean, “he was born on third base and never has been able to get home”. Give it up Dean
    LOL, agree. I do think that is the only thing holding Meyer back from us though. We have Herbert and Bosa and a lot better team than Jax but if he wants some control he just isnt going to get it here and he has zero experience with players who get paid and having expiring contracts and such.

If he is willing to work with a GM than perhaps but depends on the control he wants.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-09-2021, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Me either. Im reading this morning that he acknowledged there is interest from the Chargers but its unlikely a good fit because of the control Meyer would want and Dean unwiling to give it.
    As Kevin Acee once said about Dean, “he was born on third base and never has been able to get home”. Give it up Dean

Leave a comment:

• Boltjolt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I didn't think Meyer was a chance for the Chargers, unless it all came to money and willingness to cede control to the HC. There really is not a whole bunch of pressure for Khan to succeed, other than for him personally, so Meyer coming into the clean slate with lots of cap room and high picks, he can reinvent the organization. The Charger Ownership is looking for a quicker fix, and sees maybe better tactical decision making will work out, but still wants to keep the current front office dynamic. On the other hand, I do think the ownership will take its time on the hiring, finding the right fit.
    Me either. Im reading this morning that he acknowledged there is interest from the Chargers but its unlikely a good fit because of the control Meyer would want and Dean unwiling to give it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍