• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

The Jags may just go 10-6 or 11-5 next season under Meyer. I think it'll be an interesting turnaround, and he was high on my list for that reason.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
      The Jags may just go 10-6 or 11-5 next season under Meyer. I think it'll be an interesting turnaround, and he was high on my list for that reason.
      uh...no! we're looking 8-8 at best. They're in full rebuild mode and that takes at least one full season plus a new rookie QB.

:umno:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

uh...no! we're looking 8-8 at best. They're in full rebuild mode and that takes at least one full season plus a new rookie QB.

:umno:
        They have so much cap space, and draft picks, that team is going to be looking drastically different next season, and it'll have Meyer's prints all over it. I'm almost picturing a flipped record just like we had with Shottenheimer from 2003 to 2004 where we went 2-14 and then 12-4 the following year. It won't be that extreme, but it could be similar to the Redskins 2012 season when they drafted RGIII and went from 5-11 the prior year to 10-6 that year. An even better example would be the Colts from 2011 to 2012 when they drafted Luck, going from 2-14 to 11-5.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Urban just may have an aneurysm his first season there. Lawrence is a catch at QB but they need a lot. Meyer may just spend all that cap space this year lol
          Now is the year to have the cap space when tons of solid players will be cut.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
            Take a guy like Trevor Lawrence who hasn't loss many games and a guy in Meyers whom doesn't have losing seasons. They're gonna lose a lot of games in 2021. Gonna be real interesting real fast on how they weather that storm.

Comment

• Lyth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Kahn has owned the team since late 2011. From 2012 on here is the team's record:

2012: 2-14
              2013: 4-12
              2014: 3-13
              2015: 5-11
              2016: 3-13
              2017: 10-6
              2018: 5-11
              2019: 6-10
              2020: 1-15

The team's record is 39-105 since he bought the team. The have lost double digit games in 8 of the 9 years he has owned the team. The Chargers during that time were 67-77. So yeah, our ownership sucks but I have no idea how you come to the conclusion that he hasn't been a much worse owner than Spanos.
              Firing a 14-2 coach puts us at the bottom. The Jags have never had the players to be competitive. Their GM's haven't been too bad, but haven't got the QB position right. Bottles really set them back. Lots of teams have had that problem.

Saleh decided on the Jets. Meyer chose the Jags. We have the best roster of teams needing coaches and we have cap space. Young QB. Young defensive stars. What makes those places more attractive? What else would a coach look at aside from contract, roster, and control? Saleh didn't pick NY for the weather.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

Saleh decided on the Jets. Meyer chose the Jags. We have the best roster of teams needing coaches and we have cap space. Young QB. Young defensive stars. What makes those places more attractive? What else would a coach look at aside from contract, roster, and control? Saleh didn't pick NY for the weather.
                Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't Meyer or Saleh who decided not to take the Chargers job. Maybe the Chargers decided not to offer it.

Just because Saleh was slated for a second interview doesn't mean he was the choice. In any business, including football, a hire this important is done by screening a lot of candidates, then culling it to the top 3-4 and working more with those guys to make your decision. Unless you are SO blown away by someone in the screening round that you move real fast. I think Jax only focused on Meyer the entire time. I think Saleh must have really clicked for the Jets. I think the Chargers liked Saleh but not enough to pull the trigger without talking to him AND a few of the other candidates again. I know this is moving slower than we want, but this truly is how things are done and I don't look at it like the Bolts are failing.

RE: Assistant coaches. Every HC candidate comes in to the interview with his list. Some are just pipe dreams (I read recently about a GM who chuckled that every candidate came in saying he would bring pretty much the same staff). Others, like McVay actually have talked to assistants and truly have them lined up. If whoever the Chargers next HC is going to be is any good, he already has his staff and really actually has got commitments from them. This is what scares me about Garrett, who I unfortunately think will be the choice. No assistant is going to commit to him because he is not a highly sought HC and it is too risky to pass up a certain job for a potential one with him.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

Firing a 14-2 coach puts us at the bottom. The Jags have never had the players to be competitive. Their GM's haven't been too bad, but haven't got the QB position right. Bottles really set them back. Lots of teams have had that problem.

Again, I'm not saying we have good ownership but I'm not sure how anyone could look at the results he has and not think he isn't the worst owner in the league. If they haven't had a good QB or the players to be competitive, you have to look at the guy who hired a bad front office. I'm kind of bummed we didn't get Meyer myself, but we may have wanted someone like Daboll all along.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Gee-zus.
                    @ Urban presser.
                    ATM.
                    Why does he sound smarter than Bill Walsh ?

:shock:
                    You don't know ball

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't Meyer or Saleh who decided not to take the Chargers job. Maybe the Chargers decided not to offer it.

Just because Saleh was slated for a second interview doesn't mean he was the choice. In any business, including football, a hire this important is done by screening a lot of candidates, then culling it to the top 3-4 and working more with those guys to make your decision. Unless you are SO blown away by someone in the screening round that you move real fast. I think Jax only focused on Meyer the entire time. I think Saleh must have really clicked for the Jets. I think the Chargers liked Saleh but not enough to pull the trigger without talking to him AND a few of the other candidates again. I know this is moving slower than we want, but this truly is how things are done and I don't look at it like the Bolts are failing.

RE: Assistant coaches. Every HC candidate comes in to the interview with his list. Some are just pipe dreams (I read recently about a GM who chuckled that every candidate came in saying he would bring pretty much the same staff). Others, like McVay actually have talked to assistants and truly have them lined up. If whoever the Chargers next HC is going to be is any good, he already has his staff and really actually has got commitments from them. This is what scares me about Garrett, who I unfortunately think will be the choice. No assistant is going to commit to him because he is not a highly sought HC and it is too risky to pass up a certain job for a potential one with him.

TG
                      Sometimes the obvious possibilities get in the way of self-loathe.
                      from the outside
                      Saleh’s decision looks eager, wanted to accept the first offer thrown his way.
                      meyer to Jac makes a lot of sense. With the crazy cap they have, they’re going to have the pick of FAs, which is the closest thing to recruiting in the NFL, Meyer’s specialty
                      I admit that wouldn’t have said this a week ago, but I think Daboll is a better fit here than even Meyer
                      mainly because with Meyer it was going to be an absolute media circus everyday
                      and I think we’re on the verge of building a real solid offensive system that doesn’t need that early attention
                      I know Daboll isn’t a sure thing, but if we get rejected from Daboll, I will admit were repelling candidates.
                      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Sometimes the obvious possibilities get in the way of self-loathe.
                        from the outside
                        Saleh’s decision looks eager, wanted to accept the first offer thrown his way.
                        meyer to Jac makes a lot of sense. With the crazy cap they have, they’re going to have the pick of FAs, which is the closest thing to recruiting in the NFL, Meyer’s specialty
                        I admit that wouldn’t have said this a week ago, but I think Daboll is a better fit here than even Meyer
                        mainly because with Meyer it was going to be an absolute media circus everyday
                        and I think we’re on the verge of building a real solid offensive system that doesn’t need that early attention
                        I know Daboll isn’t a sure thing, but if we get rejected from Daboll, I will admit were repelling candidates.
                        What I'd like to know is why he didn't wait for the chargers unless he felt like the other woman. I guess making $5 an hour has made him a bit hungry for a guaranteed payday!

:cheers:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What I'd like to know is why he didn't wait for the chargers unless he felt like the other woman. I guess making $5 an hour has made him a bit hungry for a guaranteed payday!

:cheers:
                          Why wait for the unknown? I guess Saleh could have had his second interview with us to find out where we are in thinking. Maybe point blank ask if he is a strong candidate because he can sign with the Jets right now if he isnt.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍