• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

The Queefs did what I thought they should do and expect more win the SB moves to come. All in on the last year of Mahomes rookie contract.
    Ravens could also win here if they strike gold in the draft or next year in free agency.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
      The Queefs did what I thought they should do and expect more win the SB moves to come. All in on the last year of Mahomes rookie contract.
      Ravens could also win here if they strike gold in the draft or next year in free agency.
      Mahomes rookie contract was replaced with a 10 yr $450M deal, then restructured again this year to reduce 2021 cap. Structure is favorable right now (I think they shaved $17M off this year’s cap) but not a rookie contract and i expect its going to collide with future high dollar LT contracts. Maybe, I’m not a capologist

... but we do have them on retainer here if they could weigh in?
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Mahomes rookie contract was replaced with a 10 yr $450M deal, then restructured again this year to reduce 2021 cap. Structure is favorable right now (I think they shaved $17M off this year’s cap) but not a rookie contract and i expect its going to collide with future high dollar LT contracts. Maybe, I’m not a capologist

... but we do have them on retainer here if they could weigh in?
        The Chiefs have been running up the credit card bill that is about come due. Next year they have 24 players under contract with $26.8 million in cap space. Conversely, we have 34 players under contract and have $69.4 million in cap space. They are going to have to make some tough roster decisions soon so they better make a deep playoff run this year (which I expect).

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

I think the Chiefs got a steal too. They took a weakness at LT and turned it into a strength.
          I would have been willing to trade back the Chargers #13 pick for the Ravens #27 for Brown, plus our 3rd rd pick, if they would have taken that. Well, too late now.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
            I think the Chiefs got a steal too. They took a weakness at LT and turned it into a strength.
            I would have been willing to trade back the Chargers #13 pick for the Ravens #27 for Brown, plus our 3rd rd pick, if they would have taken that. Well, too late now.
            I guess it all depends how its looked at. They paid those picks for a one-year rental not a long term foundational player. the Chargers could afford to sign a long term deal if they had pulled the trigger, I’m not as sure the Chiefs without losing some (more!) other top talent on their roster. Their ‘22 Cap crunch hell is noted above ...
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

It all works out for the Chargers, who won't be competing for a Super Bowl bid just yet. Brown does well and he gets a massive contract next year, or Brown does poorly and he was a waste of a 1rst.

Chiefs will lock up pretty much all their cap space in 7 players if they resign Brown: Mahomes, Clark, Jones, Brown, Kelce, Hill, Tuney. None of those guys better get hurt. They had been incredibly lucky avoiding key injuries for years until Fisher tore his ACL in the AFC championship game. One starter goes down and they looked like crap.

They've pissed away most of their recent 1rst round draft picks, have generally drafted at the bottom of rounds, & spent last year's first on a small guy who will be too beat up to resign.

They'll have a lot of journeyman types filling out the rest of the roster pretty damn soon. Imagine them with entire units the equivalent of the Charger's 2020 Oline. Chargers will have ample cap space next year to target players that can exploit those weaknesses. Block Jones & Clark next year and put up 40 points on them routinely
              Last edited by powderblueboy; 04-24-2021, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

IMO, Chiefs looked at all of those short-armed OT's and determined there were no legitimate, long-termed LT prospects @#31 and pulled the trigger on OBJ.

Everybody won. KC gets to rent a legitimate LT for a year to make another SB push. Brown gets to showcase his talent @LT. And the Ravens get basically a high-2nd round pick for someone they were going to lose next year anyways.

This trade shows us exactly what I've been saying for a while now.... There probably won't be legitimate LT prospects around by the late 1st round (why KC pulled the trade). And there will be a lot of quality RT prospects there instead (why Ravens moved into #31 slot... to replace RT).

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  IMO, Chiefs looked at all of those short-armed OT's and determined there were no legitimate, long-termed LT prospects @#31 and pulled the trigger on OBJ.

Everybody won. KC gets to rent a legitimate LT for a year to make another SB push. Brown gets to showcase his talent @LT. And the Ravens get basically a high-2nd round pick for someone they were going to lose next year anyways.

This trade shows us exactly what I've been saying for a while now.... There probably won't be legitimate LT prospects around by the late 1st round (why KC pulled the trade). And there will be a lot of quality RT prospects there instead (why Ravens moved into #31 slot... to replace RT).
                  Or it means there will be no legitimate plug and play LT at #31 (which is generally the case).
                  Fat Andy is as good an evaluator of Oline talent as anyone.

Cosmi, Little, Radunz will take time if they establish themselves there.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Which means if the Chargers need some rookie to start this year at LT, they need to draft one at #13.
                    And Slater might not be that guy.

Maybe they trade up to get Darrisaw?
                    :anchorjump:

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Or it means there will be no legitimate plug and play LT at #31 (which is generally the case).
                      Fat Andy is as good an evaluator of Oline talent as anyone.

Cosmi, Little, Radunz will take time if they establish themselves there.
                      Exactly! Cosmi, Little, and Radunz may not even make it to @31. I've been saying that for a while. A number of teams in the #14-31 slots needing OT's. Lots of them needing RT's (Raiders, Bears, Titans, Ravens) and others need LT's (Vikings, Colts, Steelers).

IMO, the LT's are: Sewell, Darrisaw, Little, Radunz... all getting 1st round grades from me.
                      If Chargers choose to bypass LT, even then, these guys don't make it to #31.
                      Sewell - gone before #13
                      Darrisaw - Vikings
                      Little - Colts
                      Radunz - Steelers

IMO, the RT's are: Slater, Jenkins, Cosmi... all getting 1st round grades from me.
                      Slater - chosen as a guard by Panthers or Giants. Possible move to OT later.
                      Jenkins - Raiders possible, Bears at least.
                      Cosmi - Bears, Titans, or Ravens.

Ravens are hoping that 2 or 3 of these teams pass on OT/OG in the 1st round.
                      2nd round OT's that could be reached on @RT: Brown, Leatherwood, Eichenberg.

I think this Chiefs/Ravens move is very telling.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                        Which means if the Chargers need some rookie to start this year at LT, they need to draft one at #13.
                        And Slater might not be that guy.

Maybe they trade up to get Darrisaw?
                        :anchorjump:
                        Chargers could pass LT in the 1st... but taking a big risk. Or they see something that nobody else does.
                        Darrisaw should be there @#13 (unless Vikings trade up).
                        I'm against trading up. I think we need to keep those 2nd/3rd picks for defense (CB/S/Edge)... even if it means missing out on a true 1st-round LT prospect. In that unfortunate scenario, it would be reasonable to reach for D'Ante Smith as a project (2nd) or kick the tires on older/injured OT's (Villanueva or Fisher).

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

KC also added an additional 2nd round pick for this year...... so they basically got Brown for nearly free..... swapping their #31 pick for a late 2nd rounder...... the other picks were minor....

You are making a good point about the OT's in this draft, they may be good prospects and have potential but they may not be ready to start as rookies and not all may ver successful..... Brown is a skilled experienced pro bowl quality vet who already knows how to play the position and my guess is KC will find a way to lock him up long term.....

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍