• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Tom Brady wants trademark for "Tom Terrific™"

Sounds a bit pompous to me:

Tom Brady goes after 'Tom Terrific' nickname. Mets and Tom Seaver fans are not happy

Tom Brady is somehow becoming even more disliked in New York.

Between his two decades of dominating the Jets, his Super Bowl rivalry with the Giants and overall resentment caused by his unprecedented success with the Patriots, Brady is now attracting the wrath of the New York Mets.

Late last month, Philadelphia-based Gerben Law Firm PLLC brought to light interesting trademark filings by TEB Capital, Brady's company responsible for his "TB12" brand. Brady appears to be filing for trademark protection for his apparent nickname "Tom Terrific" on trading cards, signed photographs, posters and shirts. According to the law firm, the filings indicate that Brady will release a "Tom Terrific" clothing line and trading cards collection.

Well, since "Tom Terrific" is better known as Mets Hall of Famer Tom Seaver, the Mets and their fans certainly had an issue with Brady's latest business venture.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ns/1334932001/
  • bartman83642
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Seaver had this first. If he still makes any money from the nickname from his lawyers will probably challenge to protect him and his eventual estate. I hope Brady goes down in flames on this one.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by bartman83642 View Post
      Seaver had this first. If he still makes any money from the nickname from his lawyers will probably challenge to protect him and his eventual estate. I hope Brady goes down in flames on this one.
      Seaver never filed for a trademark on "Tom Terrific," though the name is so closely associated with Seaver, I think Brady should drop it and use something else.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Brady backed off. He wanted to get the trademark to prevent it getting trashed, but got so much backlash, he apologized for the approach.

Tom Brady's attempt to trademark the name "Tom Terrific" drew some ire from fans and former teammates of Baseball Hall of Famer Tom Seaver and Brady shared some thoughts on the matter Thursday.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Maybe he could've gone for Tom Slick too then, but I guess there's no such word as asshole in trademarking, Marigold.

Comment

Working...
          X