Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

15-16 NBA Thread

So, with the Chargers looking terrible, hope springs eternal in hoops, as the NBA kicks off tonight!

Could/Should be another great season in the works.

In the East, can anyone unseat Cleveland and LeBron? The Bulls are the popular pick (new coach) to do it. I think the Heat will be a factor, if they can stay healthy (their starting 5 is really good), and both the Wizards and the Hawks are interesting... Milwaukee should continue to improve, and year 2 of SVG in Detroit should lead to more improvement there. The Pacers will be better will PG back. It will be interesting.

The West, is more loaded, than probably ever.
    -The Warriors are the defending champs with the reigning MVP, and the core of the entire team back.
    -The Clips got DAJ back, added Paul Pierce for depth, and should be a contender.
    -The Rockets bring everyone back, and added Ty Lawson as Point Guard.
    -The Spurs added LaMarcus Aldridge and David West.
    -The Thunder get back healthy Kevin Durant and healthy Russel Westbrook. They added a new head coach in Billy Donovan, they will be vastly improved.
    -The Pelicans also changed coaches, and return the best 2 way player in the nba in Anthony Davis who is only 22 years old. They will be an interesting team to watch...not sure how good Davis supporting cast is, but he is an absolute joy to watch. My favorite player in the NBA.
    The Grizzlies will continue to drive everyone crazy by playing great defense, and pounding the ball inside to two legitimate post threats.

And my Lakers, will struggle (most likely) once again. Although they will be more competitive. I will break them down a bit, because they are "my" team.

They added a really good new point guard in D'Angelo Russel. (although he will struggle, especially in the West, playing against Chris Paul, Russel Westbrook, Tony Parker, Steph Curry, shoot even poor teams in the West like Portland run out Damian Lillard.) Russell is going to have to continue to grow and develop and not worry about being a superstar right away. (only played one year of college)

Shooting Guard, Jordan Clarkson. Clarkson had a very encouraging end to last season, his rookie year. But pump the brakes a bit. That was a depleted team, where he was pretty much given free reign. With Kobe, and Randle back, along with a rookie PG who was a high selection, Clarkson is going to have to be a defensive player, and get his points where he can.

Small Forward, Kobe Bryant. Who knows what to expect? He got hurt at the end of the season 3 years ago, and barely played the past 2 seasons. I do think the move to SF will help him defensively..won't have to chase quicker 2 guards around as much, and Coach Byron Scott said they are going to limit his minutes. Will he be good? Will he look old? I think he'll do both, depending on the night.

Power Forward, Julius Randle. All reports out of camp, is that Randle has looked great, and like the player they used a top 10 pick on a few years ago. He's developed his jump shot, and has great combination of size and speed. That being said, he'll basically be a rookie (injured in first regular season game last year), who played one year of college. He'll be exciting. Maybe the most exciting player on the team.

Center, Roy Hibbert. He's not exciting. But he's a good defender, and his presence alone will improve the lakers defense. (along with better team speed at PG, SG, and PF)

The team has a boatload of players at the backup big spots: Tarik Black, Brandon Bass, Larry Nance, Metta World Peace, Ryan Kelly and sadly, still Robert Sacre. I don't think any of them are great players... but Bass is a solid professional backup, and Larry Nance has alot of possible upside.

The backcourt backups include Huertas at PG, and the main wing players will be Lou Williams and Nick Young. Neither of them are great defenders, but they can both shoot the ball... Williams can handle the point or off guard, like Clarkson...

So a good team? No. An interesting team? Starting Russel, Randle, and Clarkson makes this a yes. I don't see them winning a ton of games, but if the players develop... get better, together... could be the start of new era.

The Sixers will continue to stink, and the Nets and Timberwolves will also be terrible.
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

NBA Finals pick: Cavaliers and Warriors rematch.

-It was very hard to pick the Warriors though. I could see the Clippers, or the Rockets, or the Spurs, or the Thunder make it. Yes, 5 legitimate contenders in the West.

Cavs may not have the best record in the East, but when/if they get healthy...get Kyrie back in addition to Love and LeBron.. can't see anyone else in the East beating them.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Deadspin's NBA preview. It's a bit better, and a lot funnier, than mine.

Hey, the NBA season started tonight! The first nationally televised game, Cavaliers-Bulls in Chicago, started ... uh, pretty much at the same time as Game 1 of the World Series. The late game started a while ago. That’s dumb. I hope you’re watching the World Series.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Good job.

Coach, do you believe the Lakeshow would be a contender if they had signed Aldridge?

Limiting Kobe's minutes will be good. Maybe he'll stay healthy.

Looking forward to watching Randle a lot.

I remember Larry Nance, Jr. Good player in college.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
          Good job.

Coach, do you believe the Lakeshow would be a contender if they had signed Aldridge?

Limiting Kobe's minutes will be good. Maybe he'll stay healthy.

Looking forward to watching Randle a lot.

I remember Larry Nance, Jr. Good player in college.
          CONTENDER? No. Credible team that could make the playoffs? yes. LMA is a great player, but not a Top Tier talent...he's in that 2nd level.

Right now, they need to put all their eggs in the Kevin Durant basket. If they can get Durant...to go with Russell (who will be good), Clarkson, and Randle (who will be good).

I don't think they'll get him, though. And sadly, they will probably win too many games to keep their draft pick this year.

I'm exited to see Nance play...but he was inactive the first game. (He and Metta).

Kobe played well in flashes game one, but he honestly hurt the team more than he helped. And Russell didn't do much of anything when Kobe was on the floor. They need Russell to be the playmaker. He has the ability. His highlights from his one year at Ohio State are amazing. And he's a great passer.

That said... this Lakers team still stinks. And I'd like to see them hire a young, innovative coach like what Portland, Atlanta (Both former Spurs guys), or Chicago did (Fred Hoiberg will do well...his Iowa State teams were fun to watch). But, if they want to keep Byron on for another year of losses, I can see that. He did a good job with NJ and NO in getting young teams to improve... in Cleveland, not so much. Because he still coaches the "old" style of play.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

I read Nance has tendonitis in his knee. I doubt that gets better from running around on hardwood and wouldn't be surprised if he misses two weeks at least. Nance and Randle at the Forward spots would be my preference if Bryant continues his erratic ways but Bass could be decent as a stop-gap. At least Bass shouldn't shoot the ball into oblivion.
            Last edited by Millionaire Wussy; 10-30-2015, 05:12 PM.
            For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Good Lord they have looked terrible the first 3 games. Especially Friday night against the Kings. They didn't even look like a professional team out there.

Yikes!

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

Just a note to add, how ridiculous are the Warriors?

Steph Curry is unreal.

I can't even be jealous. They are too fun to watch.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                  Just a note to add, how ridiculous are the Warriors?

Steph Curry is unreal.

I can't even be jealous. They are too fun to watch.
                  They are a lot of fun to watch.

Fire Byron at the end of the season and bring in Luke
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoDak
                    • Technology Director
                    • Send PM

Agreed.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think this thread can be closed. One word: Warriors.

Comment

• KarlC
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

I guess that signature pic answers the question "Did they pour you into that or paint it on?"

By the by, who is she, and did she do any other work?

Oh NBA thread, sorry. Ummmmm, I hate the all day news coverage about anyone changing teams/retiring?
                        Last edited by KarlC; 12-12-2015, 12:14 PM.

SD guy in OZ

Comment

Working...
                        X