• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

True on Paddock but thats what i keep hearing during broadcast. They want to linmit his innings. Lamat will get the same because of his TJ surgery. Strahm has stunk all year imo. Yes he can get better but this team shows the are still another 2-3 years away which is longer than they said it would be because of players not panning out as thought.
    Renfore is in a terrible slump but he has become a good outfielder and has power. Just needs to be more displined at the plate. Goes for Hedges and Myers as well.
    Strahm was actually really good the first few months of this year and was good in limited starts a year ago. He has been struggling since. At this stage, I think his ERA is somewhere above 5 and his Wins Above Replacement is small but at least it is positive. If nothing else, he is at least a decent long reliever. The only way we should give up on him is if we think we already have 5 starters and an entire bullpen who are better. An argument could be made we have 5 better starters, but, other than our closer, there is nobody in that bullpen better than Strahm.

My main issue with our starters, Strahm included, is, outside of Joey Fuego.and maybe Lauer, they rarely make it past five innings. It isn't just Paddack and Lamet that don't last long. But, overall, I am more confident about our starting pitching than I am about our starting hitters. And I blame this not on the hitters, but how the Padres have handled them.

Most of the young hitters haven't panned out because they haven't been given the opportunities to get better, not because they aren't capable of being the stars they are supposed to be. Tatis did great right off the bat, but normal players need the experience before they get better. And the Pads are not giving those players consistent playing time. As it stands, we have made zero progress this year in our quest toward being contenders. None of our young players have improved, and, for that, I blame either Green or Preller. It depends which one is calling the shots. If it is Green, he should have been canned a long time ago. If it is Preller, I would want his range of power limited to loading our Minor League teams with young, talented players. Whoever the current shot-caller is should no longer have a say in who is starting on the Major League roster and who gets called up from or sent down to the Minors.

This unwillingness to develop hitters didn't just start this year. Guys like Margot, Renfroe, and Hedges are the same or worse than they were at the beginnings of their Padres careers. Same goes for Hedges. Now Urias, Naylor, Mejia, France, et al., are going to go through the same crap of getting inconsistent starts and making zero progress toward making us a better team.
    Last edited by thelightningwill; 08-25-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Right on cue, the Pads call up a third catcher with potential who they plan to mostly sit on the bench.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...c-yardley.html

For a team that shoud be focused on improving for the future, we sure spend a lot of energy worrying about things that have nothing to do with our future. Signing what's-his-fan-hating-burnt-out-face to play 2nd this year was dumb when we needed to get Urias that time at 2nd. What also is dumb is wasting one of our catching prospect's time because we need another pinch hitter for the moment. (We don't really need a pinch hitter. This year is toast.) We already don't know how to get Mejia the time he needs to improve. Why are we adding onto our problems by bringing up a third young catcher who we don't plan to give the appropriate playing time to? Who the heck is making these indecisions?
      Last edited by thelightningwill; 08-25-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post

Strahm was actually really good the first few months of this year and was good in limited starts a year ago. He has been struggling since. At this stage, I think his ERA is somewhere above 5 and his Wins Above Replacement is small but at least it is positive. If nothing else, he is at least a decent long reliever. The only way we should give up on him is if we think we already have 5 starters and an entire bullpen who are better. An argument could be made we have 5 better starters, but, other than our closer, there is nobody in that bullpen better than Strahm.

My main issue with our starters, Strahm included, is, outside of Joey Fuego.and maybe Lauer, they rarely make it past five innings. It isn't just Paddack and Lamet that don't last long. But, overall, I am more confident about our starting pitching than I am about our starting hitters. And I blame this not on the hitters, but how the Padres have handled them.

Most of the young hitters haven't panned out because they haven't been given the opportunities to get better, not because they aren't capable of being the stars they are supposed to be. Tatis did great right off the bat, but normal players need the experience before they get better. And the Pads are not giving those players consistent playing time. As it stands, we have made zero progress this year in our quest toward being contenders. None of our young players have improved, and, for that, I blame either Green or Preller. It depends which one is calling the shots. If it is Green, he should have been canned a long time ago. If it is Preller, I would want his range of power limited to loading our Minor League teams with young, talented players. Whoever the current shot-caller is should no longer have a say in who is starting on the Major League roster and who gets called up from or sent down to the Minors.

This unwillingness to develop hitters didn't just start this year. Guys like Margot, Renfroe, and Hedges are the same or worse than they were at the beginnings of their Padres careers. Same goes for Hedges. Now Urias, Naylor, Mejia, France, et al., are going to go through the same crap of getting inconsistent starts and making zero progress toward making us a better team.
        Yeah i believe that is Green doing that. He or Preller called up a couple of Double A pitchers to start games and started them 1 inning and took them out. That has to be Green there. Green is a shitty manager imo. He needs to go.
        Hedges has had plenty of opporunity to get better and his hitting has taken a dive. Renfroe has had plenty as well he is just in a slump which happens. Myers has no excuse. Margot should be getting better. Id love to see him be a .280 hitter but he isnt there yet.

Comment

• thelightningwill
          Go Aztecs and Pads
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Yeah i believe that is Green doing that. He or Preller called up a couple of Double A pitchers to start games and started them 1 inning and took them out. That has to be Green there. Green is a shitty manager imo. He needs to go.
          Hedges has had plenty of opporunity to get better and his hitting has taken a dive. Renfroe has had plenty as well he is just in a slump which happens. Myers has no excuse. Margot should be getting better. Id love to see him be a .280 hitter but he isnt there yet.
          It might be Andy Green, but I don't know. I have heard he needed to limit the amount of pitches the starters throw, but I don't know if what I heard is true either.

With the exception of two years ago, Hedges has been in the bottom 10 of starting catchers for games played and at bats.

The average starting baseball player gets 500 at bats per year. Renfroe has never had that many at bats in any season ever.

Myers was a mistake. That whole Internet snafu in which he was whining about Green making the team do more work was all I needed to know about where his head is.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

If Hedges coukdnhit he would get 500 ABs. He had almost 400 in 2017. He has over 1100 for his career and is a 206 career hitter. He just isn't a good hitter but he was hitting well in AAA before he came up. Some guys just can't get past the minors of success

Comment

• thelightningwill
              Go Aztecs and Pads
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

If Hedges coukdnhit he would get 500 ABs. He had almost 400 in 2017. He has over 1100 for his career and is a 206 career hitter. He just isn't a good hitter but he was hitting well in AAA before he came up. Some guys just can't get past the minors of success
              I wouldn't expect Hedges to get 500 at bats. That average is for hitters in general. Catchers play fewer games. However, even among catchers, except for one year, he is among the least played starters.

If the Pads think Hedges is our catcher of the future, play him more so that that future gets here quicker. If we don't think he is the guy, then stop playing him and give the guy we want the at bats. Those are the two options we got. But, three or four years after that decision should have been made, we still haven't made it.

We have made shaky progress with Renfroe, zero progress at the other corner-outfield spot, zero in center , zero at 2nd, and zero behind the plate. The only hitting positions we have made progress on in the Preller era are third, first, and short. For third and first, we spent gobs of money, and, at short, we got a guy, who, barring injury, couldn't fail even if with zero development. Tatis is a baseball god.
              Last edited by thelightningwill; 08-25-2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                Go Aztecs and Pads
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Another solid Padres front-office decision. They call up a reliever who gives up more homeruns than outs got. Three homers, four runs, two outs. Clearly this guy was ready to play in the majors. Must have done wonders for his confidence going forward. Oh. And none of the outfield starters were starters at the first half of the season. We clearly have a plan.

Sarcasm

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Another solid Padres front-office decision. They call up a reliever who gives up more homeruns than outs got. Three homers, four runs, two outs. Clearly this guy was ready to play in the majors. Must have done wonders for his confidence going forward. Oh. And none of the outfield starters were starters at the first half of the season. We clearly have a plan.

Sarcasm
                  Another double A callup. Must not have any pitchers in Triple A ready to be up to the Majors but being in triple A they should be better than the guys in double A since they got the promotion there.

I don't know,....Urias isn't a SS so don't know why Green is playing him there. He is making error after error. Put France at 3rd and Machado at SS and Urias back at 2nd.
                  Green needs to be fired.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Another double A callup. Must not have any pitchers in Triple A ready to be up to the Majors but being in triple A they should be better than the guys in double A since they got the promotion there.

I don't know,....Urias isn't a SS so don't know why Green is playing him there. He is making error after error. Put France at 3rd and Machado at SS and Urias back at 2nd.
                    Green needs to be fired.
                    Why have guys playing their own positions? That isn't our way.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

I know all you L.A. sports fans don't care, but I am perplexed as to what the madres the Padres are doing. We, I thought, were using this year to get ready for the future. So, to do that, we bring up a 31-year-old pitcher coming back from Tommy John surgery?

Comment

• RobH
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Tokyo, Japan
                        • University English Lecturer
                        • Send PM

I know all you L.A. sports fans don't care, but I am perplexed as to what the madres the Padres are doing. We, I thought, were using this year to get ready for the future. So, to do that, we bring up a 31-year-old pitcher coming back from Tommy John surgery?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...john?_amp=true
                        I guess you don't know much about Richards. He was one of the best pitchers in the AL for several years, with the Angels. He had arm problems that limited him until he got surgery, but even with the arm problems the guy was a stud. So now that he is over the problems, he's getting his sea legs under him and he'll be 100% ready to go next year with the confidence that he got back by kicking ass in the games he'll pitch at the end of the season. I expect he'll be our #1 or #2 pitcher next year, and he's the type of vet presence the young guys will need. Lamet is also coming back from TJ surgery, and he's also been getting better and better this year. 14 Ks in 6 innings today. He'll be at the top of the rotation as well. Paddock has also kicked ass the last four outings with a .33 ERA and many Ks. He'll also be a top of the rotation pitcher next year and two years removed from TJ. If we can put together a decent consistent offense next year, we'll make some noise.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍