Clear All
  • Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Finding the Fits: Cornerback Williams could surprise in San Diego

NFLDraftScout.com
    Finding the Fits: Cornerback Williams could surprise in San Diego

This article is one of a series called Finding the Fits in which NFLDraftScout.com will review some of the more intriguing picks made during the 2013 NFL Draft. The goal of the series is to identify one relatively unheralded player per team who appears to be a good schematic fit and, therefore, more likely to be a surprise contributor early in his pro career.

San Diego Chargers' best fit: CB Steve Williams, Cal, 5th Round, No. 145 overall

With only six picks in the 2013 draft, new San Diego Chargers' general manager Tom Telesco had limited ammunition to re-tool a roster left with some glaring holes, especially along the offensive line and in the secondary.

San Diego's first two picks - right tackle D.J. Fluker and inside linebacker Manti Te'o - are expected to start and play well immediately. As one of the potential felony-caliber steals of the 2013 draft, wideout

Third round wideout Keenan Allen made sense to profile here, as well.

Few outside of Pac-12 country, however, know much about former Cal cornerback Steve Williams, the Chargers' fifth round pick. That could be about to change as the former all-conference defender could play a surprisingly impactful role in San Diego as a rookie.

Telesco and new head coach Mike McCoy allowed former first round picks Quentin Jammer (2002) and Antoine Cason (2008) to leave via free agency. Former Jacksonville Jaguars' corner Derek Cox was signed to a four-year, $20 million dollar deal to stabilize one half of the field but the other side is expected to be manned by either 2011 third round pick Shareece Wright or fellow third-year pro Johnny Patrick, who was released by New Orleans. Patrick started one game for the Saints in 2012. Wright has yet to start an NFL game. Cox, while quite effective when healthy, hasn't been able to remain so often. After playing in all 16 games for the Jaguars as a rookie, Cox has missed 17 games over the past three years due to injury.

At just 5-09, 181-pounds, Williams hardly looks the part of a savior at cornerback for the Chargers but his durability and playmaking ability at Cal made him one of the Pac-12's most respected defenders. While obviously smaller than scouts would prefer, Williams is a tenacious, physical defender who doesn't back down from the challenges of facing bigger receivers. Few from the 2013 draft class were faster (4.34 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine) or a more explosive leaper (40.5" in the vertical jump) than Williams and he is far from just a workout warrior.

(continued at link)

• Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Looking back I think we had a great draft but I had a queezy stomach at times......LOL

Comment

i'd still like another decent addition across the field from cox till we know what we got with these younger guys.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

I think the plan should be to find out what we have in these younger guys.
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I think it would be better to get him playing time in the nickle before we line him up at one of the outside CB full time. Plus, I like the idea of building his confidence vs slot guys (who tend to be inferior WR compared to the outside guys).

But Like I showed in another thread, we play our 4 man line with 5 DB over 50% of the time, so even in the nickle, that means he is basically the 11th starter on D, and that 11th starter can have a pretty big impact. Especially with teams like Denver and KC who have played so much 2TE or 3 WR in the past.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

I do think we'll see him at Nickel exclusively. In fact I think that's exactly why they drafted him. We need speed and quickness in the slot to cover this new wave of speed/quickness slot guys that are popping up in the NFL now (Cobb, Austin, and Percy to name a few).

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

5th round CBs rarely come out of the gate ready for the NFL.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                5th round CBs rarely come out of the gate ready for the NFL.
                What about NBs?
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Niether udfa Left Tackles...
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Big Dog
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

• The sprints didn't exhaust rookie cornerback Steve Williams and second-year running back Edwin Baker, who afterward challenged each other to a 40-yard dash, witnessed by dozens of teammates. Baker won. Easily.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      What about NBs?
                      NBs are pretty much starters nowadays. Look at guys drafted in the first round that struggle making the adjustment to the pros. Now, I do like the pick because I think he could develop into a guy to cover the slot but when I looked at some of his film he relies a lot on his speed to make up for poor coverage. You don't get away with that at this level simply because the QBs are much much better than in college.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

But is a CB who is that productive and has that sort of physical skills, after being a solid starter for a big time program really deserve to be a 5th round pick? He got downgraded because of his size, not his ability. But that means he is really a 3rd or 4th round talent/ability. Shouldn't the argument that he is an "X" round draft pick be applied to a 3rd or 4th round talent? And a lot of 3rd and 4th round guys do come in and play in the nickle.

If we were asking him to start, I would agree, he probably is not ready, since most rookies aren't. But if he can focus on being NB, and focus on covering slot guys, then I think he can handle it.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍