• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    One thing we need to do more of is rotating the pass rushers. Bosa and Ingram both play a lot of snaps. It is hard to be effective rushing the passer in the 4th qtr when you legs are rubber because you have already played almost every snap of the game. Teams that have the best pass rush have depth and use it to keep players fresh, while continuing to test the OL. Nwosu needs to get better to get more regular downs to keep Bosa and Ingram fresh, especially if we want all 3 on the field at the same time on pass situations. Rochelle helps some on run downs, keeping Bosa off the field on some run snaps, but Nwosu needs to be part of the solution, and he isn't there yet.

The situational rushing thing on passing downs is all about getting 2 guys off the edge and then a push up the middle. Ingram and Bosa are effective inside rushers, but unless someone else develops, one of them is needed on one edge, otherwise the pocket won't close and the QB can shuffle/slide out for big gains. Rochelle is OK as an inside rusher, as is Tillery, but both needs to step up their game as inside rushers, because neither adds much outside.

White was used as the starter at OTTO, but Nwosu still got some snaps there, depending on who the TE/ down-and-distance was. White can't stand in and take on blocking TE or FB, so either Nwosu or Egbule is still necessary at OTTO, at least situationally. Otherwise teams will just run outside of us when the TE blocks down on the ILB, and the pulling OG or FB will kick White out, giving a offenses a nice running lane off tackle/outside.
    ^ This...

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

One thing we need to do more of is rotating the pass rushers. Bosa and Ingram both play a lot of snaps. It is hard to be effective rushing the passer in the 4th qtr when you legs are rubber because you have already played almost every snap of the game.

Derwin James has as really good rating per each backfield rush attempt getting a sack, deflection, tackle for loss. Getting him back gives us another option. Also Kenneth Murray. Other than Bosa he's probably got the best pass rushing metrics on the team. There's two guys right there you can leverage in case Bosa/Ingram are winded and the opposing team is running hurry offense.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Derwin James has as really good rating per each backfield rush attempt getting a sack, deflection, tackle for loss. Getting him back gives us another option. Also Kenneth Murray. Other than Bosa he's probably got the best pass rushing metrics on the team. There's two guys right there you can leverage in case Bosa/Ingram are winded and the opposing team is running hurry offense.

the thing is if they arent already in on D it'll be hard to sub them in/out if the O is running hurry up.

Comment

• boldarblood
          Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

One thing we need to do more of is rotating the pass rushers.
          I've always believed in the saying, can never have enough pass rushers. Rotate and keep the edge rushers with fresh legs.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post

I've always believed in the saying, can never have enough pass rushers. Rotate and keep the edge rushers with fresh legs.
            JOE GAZIANO nuff said.

Comment

• PR#1
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

One thing we need to do more of is rotating the pass rushers. Bosa and Ingram both play a lot of snaps.
              You see this alot in NBA games. Alot of your superstars like LeBron and curry will play minimal minutes in the 3rd quarter so they are fresh for the 4th quarter.

I have wondered why the NFL doesn't do more of this.

Bosa looks completely gassed at the end of games.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

You see this alot in NBA games. Alot of your superstars like LeBron and curry will play minimal minutes in the 3rd quarter so they are fresh for the 4th quarter.

That really is mismanagement of Bosa especially if we ever have to go into overtime 2-3 times a season.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Maybe that's why the Cheatriots were so effective vs. us in that last playoff game we played...they've been rotating their D-linemen for years:

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/minnes...riots-defense/

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I agree with those that say they will not cut Mel. They don’t have the depth behind Nwosu nor the depth at Interior DL to attack from the DL differently. They have his $$ baked into this year’s cap already, they will role with him and I expect they look for a new edge rusher next draft and let him walk.

As to the O/U - seems like nobody wants to play along with OP’s starting point. I’ll play - he’ll get 8.5 sacks, enough to say he contributes but far short of pro bowl level and forget about AP.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      I agree with those that say they will not cut Mel. They don’t have the depth behind Nwosu nor the depth at Interior DL to attack from the DL differently. They have his $$ baked into this year’s cap already, they will role with him and I expect they look for a new edge rusher next draft and let him walk.

As to the O/U - seems like nobody wants to play along with OP’s starting point. I’ll play - he’ll get 8.5 sacks, enough to say he contributes but far short of pro bowl level and forget about AP.
                      The question at the end of the OP says "How many sacks will Melvin Ingram need for the Chargers to offer him another contract"?

my answer is a lot....and i still wouldnt resign him as he has been inconsistant in that area. 11 would be a career high but i think he does his usual 6-8. Id rather get the comp pick after he signs elsewhere.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I am not sure why a career year would make any difference as to what contract we offer him. As I and many others routinely mention, sacks and most other metrics are all about context. Look at players like Vic Beasley, lead the league in sacks one year because he was lucky, and then did nothing the rest of his career. It was pure luck, and watching his film you can see it.

Everyone needs to remember, NFL contracts are NOT based on how much a player HAS produced. That is irrelevant.

It is how much a team thinks they WILL produce. Melvin is somewhat older and he is at the age where his production has peaked. if he gets 15 sacks this season, and you don't expect he will ever do it again, would you pay him for that production? Some teams will, but they would be making a mistake. But again, his value is higher than his production because of the role he is used in, and he has value that goes beyond just the stat line.

As far as Melvin, it will all depend on what role he is willing to accept going forward. To me, he is a useful player, but he is not going to get the kind of big money contract he has gotten, and will have to accept a somewhat different role. However, teams that are willing to ruin themselves going forward (read as teams who spend money for UFA), will probably be more than happy to set their franchise back and piss money away on players like Melvin, so if he can get a big money deal, all the power to him.

However, his best bet to see the end of his contract and continue to play on a winning franchise is to take a somewhat reduced role and that means less money.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

I am not sure why a career year would make any difference as to what contract we offer him. As I and many others routinely mention, sacks and most other metrics are all about context. Look at players like Vic Beasley, lead the league in sacks one year because he was lucky, and then did nothing the rest of his career. It was pure luck, and watching his film you can see it.

Everyone needs to remember, NFL contracts are NOT based on how much a player HAS produced. That is irrelevant.

It is how much a team thinks they WILL produce. Melvin is somewhat older and he is at the age where his production has peaked. if he gets 15 sacks this season, and you don't expect he will ever do it again, would you pay him for that production? Some teams will, but they would be making a mistake. But again, his value is higher than his production because of the role he is used in, and he has value that goes beyond just the stat line.

As far as Melvin, it will all depend on what role he is willing to accept going forward. To me, he is a useful player, but he is not going to get the kind of big money contract he has gotten, and will have to accept a somewhat different role. However, teams that are willing to ruin themselves going forward (read as teams who spend money for UFA), will probably be more than happy to set their franchise back and piss money away on players like Melvin, so if he can get a big money deal, all the power to him.

However, his best bet to see the end of his contract and continue to play on a winning franchise is to take a somewhat reduced role and that means less money.
                          If it's close then yes...if it aint even close he will be gone. Why would a player stick around that doesn't feel luved anymore?!?!?! Would you stick around for $8 mil when another team is offering $15 mil year plus $30 mil guaranteed?!?!?!
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡