• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I actually think Murray is the nail in Ingram’s coffin, Ingram has played all over due to injuries to other players, and thank God we had him but now we have Murray so no big contract.

Comment

• RTPbolt
      Charger Fan till the end
      • Jun 2013
      • North Carolina
      • Send PM

Id do a 2 year contract at market rate but no longer. Hes been solid for a while and is a good bookend to Bosa...not easy to replace. He IS a playmaker that has commanded attention even with Bosa in the lineup. I have a connection to him but doubt I will hear much until its a done deal.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

It would be nice to find a replacement for Ingram before we show him the door. If we continue to use Nwosu as the edge and slide in Ingram inside, then there is virtually no way he gets 10 sacks.

If Ingram thinks he is going to continue to get paid on the same level, he is pretty much mistaken. His contract will be in the 2 to 3 year range and he will get something in the neighborhood of about half what he is getting now (per year basis) $8-9 mill per.

There is nothing more useless than paying big money to one pass rusher (Bosa?), then let the teams we play double team the crap out of him.

As far as the fraud thing goes, ANY FA has the potential to do that. In fact, it is way more common for it to happen with players coming into a new team, as opposed to teams signing their own players. Just check the history of FA out. Money is a horrible motivator for people.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

How do you know Ingram even wants to come back for another contract? He’s made his money. And he’s got the miles and injuries on his body to think about. At some point you have to think about walking away healthy.

And I love his play more than most here, but even I cant see giving him a long term, big money contract.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            How do you know Ingram even wants to come back for another contract? He’s made his money. And he’s got the miles and injuries on his body to think about. At some point you have to think about walking away healthy.

And I love his play more than most here, but even I cant see giving him a long term, big money contract.
            You are right, maybe he wants to continue to be a rapper more than playing. I'm all for it.

EDGE rusher 2021 NFL Draft.
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Eurobolt
              *** Jim Harbaugh ***
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

I would ask Bosa if he wants to play alongside Ingram if yes sign.
              Make Bosa happy is a priority.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                I would ask Bosa if he wants to play alongside Ingram if yes sign.
                Make Bosa happy is a priority.
                Any GM that asks his players to make decisions for him is going to be out on the street very soon!

I like Melvin, he's a play maker and I won't be surprised to see (and Bosa) have a few more sacks this season due to the improvement at DT.

A 2 year contract at market rate seems about right to me.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Agreed Roo, but I also agree with the spirit of what Eurobolt is saying, keep Bosa happy.
                  a good GM doesnt literally have to ask anyone anything, they should have an ear in the locker room at all times.

Jesse Lemonier should make the PS in case we mpve on from MI
                  Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Okay, I'll play. I wouldn't mind a one year extension, with an option for another year, at a team-friendly price. That's about as far as the train stops for SupaMel...Meanwhile, we draft his replacement who rotates in and out with Mel to keep him a bit fresher so he plays a bit harder...
                    team friendly prices usualiy happen on another team after you find your previous team has decided to move on..

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I remember the discussion well about which 34 OLB we should get in the 2012 draft back in the old CMB. I remember being disappointed because I wanted another Merriman, and Ingram was not that person IMO. Though I was still rooting for him and he definitely did surprise me. In the end, Ingram was never a good edge rusher prospect. If we wanted a good edge rusher, we should have drafted Chandler Jones. What made him intriguing and a good fit as a OLB in John Pagano's scheme was that he was a Jack of All Trades. In other words, he could bring pressure from multiple positions (especially the interior in a 4 man rush), drop back into coverage, and help out with the run. While he's improved somewhat in the edge rushing department despite his short arms, it's still not necessarily his specialty like it is with Bosa or Jones. He would probably do a lot better in a place like New England with Belichick. I'm grateful for what he has offered so far even though his sack numbers were never elilte.

It should also be noted again that he is nothing like Lazy Gaither or Donald Butler. After missing games in two straight seasons in 2013 and 2014, he worked hard in 2015 to reform his body and never missed a game again until this past season (only missing 3). I appreciate what he brings to the table and his work ethic. And I consider his draft a success. He may come back on a friendlier short term deal. But we'll see given his age.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Xeno's has it right. If the goal was to try and get Ingram to as many sacks as possible, why does the defensive coaching staff(s) keep moving him inside. That includes the fact that he is our goaline/short yardage MLB.

We are asking him to give up some of his chances to get sacks unblocked off the edge to sacrifice for the team to improve the OVERALL pass rush by applying pressure from the INSIDE.
                        If the requirement for Ingram to get X sacks, then we should be putting him in position to rush off the edge every chance he gets, because that gives him the best chance to accomplish the goal. We are clearly electing to not do that, because moving him around makes us better.

The only thing I would disagree that he is not a good edge rusher. He is a very good edge rusher. Maybe not at the top end of the league spectrum, but he is that good 2nd rusher type of player. That is the level he is being paid at, and was being paid at. There are not many players in the NFL who can sustain the type of production either in terms of pressures or sacks as Ingram has. It is true he is not the type of player who has the potential to get or exceed 15 sacks in a single season, but the vast majority of NFL edge rusher never get 10 sacks a year, so that puts him in pretty rare company to begin with.

The $2 million per year is misstating his recent sack production. It is closer to 8.5 per year. Once he figured out how to stay healthy, he is a good, not great sack producer. Since 2015 he has gotten 10.5, 8, 10, 7 and 7 sacks in each season. His average sacks are 42.5 in that period, which comes out to 8.5 per year. Something in the 6-8 sack per year is a more reasonable, although it is fairly common for pass rushers in their early 30's to sustain their pass rush production.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Xeno's has it right. If the goal was to try and get Ingram to as many sacks as possible, why does the defensive coaching staff(s) keep moving him inside. That includes the fact that he is our goaline/short yardage MLB.

We are asking him to give up some of his chances to get sacks unblocked off the edge to sacrifice for the team to improve the OVERALL pass rush by applying pressure from the INSIDE.
                          If the requirement for Ingram to get X sacks, then we should be putting him in position to rush off the edge every chance he gets, because that gives him the best chance to accomplish the goal. We are clearly electing to not do that, because moving him around makes us better.

The only thing I would disagree that he is not a good edge rusher. He is a very good edge rusher. Maybe not at the top end of the league spectrum, but he is that good 2nd rusher type of player. That is the level he is being paid at, and was being paid at. There are not many players in the NFL who can sustain the type of production either in terms of pressures or sacks as Ingram has. It is true he is not the type of player who has the potential to get or exceed 15 sacks in a single season, but the vast majority of NFL edge rusher never get 10 sacks a year, so that puts him in pretty rare company to begin with.

The $2 million per year is misstating his recent sack production. It is closer to 8.5 per year. Once he figured out how to stay healthy, he is a good, not great sack producer. Since 2015 he has gotten 10.5, 8, 10, 7 and 7 sacks in each season. His average sacks are 42.5 in that period, which comes out to 8.5 per year. Something in the 6-8 sack per year is a more reasonable, although it is fairly common for pass rushers in their early 30's to sustain their pass rush production.
                          Bottom line is he hasn't dominated. He has been good. Not great. He got paid for GREAT production. For me personally I am disappointed with his production. I like him. I liked the draft pick but he really is a middle of the road talent. I really thought the addition of Bosa would free him up. As for the inside stuff. I think because of his lack of production they are using him as an inside pocket pusher. Or perhaps he gets better leverage from a twist. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X