Last Night, ESPN or NFL Network Showed This Game (1981 Chargers v. Dolphins)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

i was about 12 years old when i saw this live. i remember the weird kickoff the chargers recovered as a long onside kick. the chargers built a quick 24-0 lead that was reduced to 24-17 by halftime after the hook and lateral play by miami. the 2nd half and OT were then tense as hell. for a long time, this was referred to as the greatest game ever.

Comment

• WindsorUK
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Windsor, U.K.
      • Send PM

Big fan of Leroy Jones.
      Shame no one ever talks about his blocked kick in OT that kept the game alive( granted, it was a rather bad kick by Von Shaman.....and NO, it was not Kellen!)
      We were so fortunate to EVEN make it to OT!
      First Rolf boots it out of bounds on the ensuing kick-off after we'd tied it at 38, then Coryell calls for a squib, which puts Miami on the 40!
      Then Edwards, who'd played with a cast on his hand most of the year, misses a pick. Then Willie B does pick one off( wouldn't be a pick today) and immediately loses it....... unbelievable.
      Best Charger victory ever!

Comment

• Avaon Avante
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2020
        • Send PM

Kellen Winslow what a stud.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
          Big fan of Leroy Jones.
          Shame no one ever talks about his blocked kick in OT that kept the game alive( granted, it was a rather bad kick by Von Shaman.....and NO, it was not Kellen!)
          We were so fortunate to EVEN make it to OT!
          First Rolf boots it out of bounds on the ensuing kick-off after we'd tied it at 38, then Coryell calls for a squib, which puts Miami on the 40!
          Then Edwards, who'd played with a cast on his hand most of the year, misses a pick. Then Willie B does pick one off( wouldn't be a pick today) and immediately loses it....... unbelievable.
          Best Charger victory ever!
          I thought for sure it was Winslow Sr who blocked the kick. Rolf B almost pulled a kidding kaiding on us back then! I remember saying we won the game until he choked it. thank goodness he made up for it later.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I thought for sure it was Winslow Sr who blocked the kick. Rolf B almost pulled a kidding kaiding on us back then! I remember saying we won the game until he choked it. thank goodness he made up for it later.
            There were two kicks that Uwe Von Schaman missed at the end.
            The first was from 43 yards, with 6 seconds left in the 4rth quarter. That miss was attributed to Winslow getting his hand on the kick.
            The second miss came in overtime. I remember it to be a chip shot that Leroi Jones evidently deflected.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Here's a link to what i just described.

Comment

Working...
              X