• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by H82LUZN View Post
    First post to the site but have been long term fan of your opinions. I personally am not a Darrisaw fan as he reminds me too much of Jared Gaither. His comp on a website that evaluates player is Eric Flowers. That’s 0 for two to me
    Welcome!! I was also a long time fan of the opinions on here before joining myself several months ago.. I like Darrisaw, but there are enough concerns coming through that has gotten my attention though.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

Welcome!! I was also a long time fan of the opinions on here before joining myself several months ago.. I like Darrisaw, but there are enough concerns coming through that has gotten my attention though.
      I read about some concerns that made me watch more tape. Now I like him more than I did. Clean 1st rd OT. He'll start for somebody. Sewell goes early 1st, Slater - Darrisaw - Vera-Tucker early - mid 1st. Probably in that order.

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Funny when you see an edge rusher with a good amount of TFL you expect that to be from an end or inside slot on the DL. But Rousseau was making them from the slot. Covering TEs or slower WRs and coming off the block to make tackles on RBs. Yes a one year wonder. But the dude is a freak athlete. And since he also played inside you can assume he covers a few positions. 4/5/6T. Strong. Phillips similar.

Staley likes to get his pass rushers really wide. So they have to be athletic freaks. Just looking at the roster im not sure i see that. Probably the reason why Floyd had so much success with Staley. Uses his athleticism. Bosa likely lives in that 4T/5T area.

I have to think we are in the market for an OLB like that. And looking at the draft i bet the Miami ends kill pro days. Like sub 4.6 type guys. At 6'6 260 no less. But do the things he wants in his type of D. Force OL to really spread out covering those C/D gaps and let guys like Murray and Derwin penetrate the A/B gaps.

UFA or Draft....definitely see the need for a super athletic Edge/OLB with the ability to play outside the 9's.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Funny when you see an edge rusher with a good amount of TFL you expect that to be from an end or inside slot on the DL. But Rousseau was making them from the slot. Covering TEs or slower WRs and coming off the block to make tackles on RBs. Yes a one year wonder. But the dude is a freak athlete. And since he also played inside you can assume he covers a few positions. 4/5/6T. Strong. Phillips similar.

Staley likes to get his pass rushers really wide. So they have to be athletic freaks. Just looking at the roster im not sure i see that. Probably the reason why Floyd had so much success with Staley. Uses his athleticism. Bosa likely lives in that 4T/5T area.

I have to think we are in the market for an OLB like that. And looking at the draft i bet the Miami ends kill pro days. Like sub 4.6 type guys. At 6'6 260 no less. But do the things he wants in his type of D. Force OL to really spread out covering those C/D gaps and let guys like Murray and Derwin penetrate the A/B gaps.

UFA or Draft....definitely see the need for a super athletic Edge/OLB with the ability to play outside the 9's.
          I agree about Rousseau. My concern with him was his inexperience, but dude is straight productive regardless. He has a unique, or at least rare, skill set / size that is certainly intriguing. I came across an article a couple of weeks ago that pointed out about how Staley added a couple of players at the end positions on defense that had great height and length last year with the Rams, so I think you might be on to something.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

I agree about Rousseau. My concern with him was his inexperience, but dude is straight productive regardless. He has a unique, or at least rare, skill set / size that is certainly intriguing. I came across an article a couple of weeks ago that pointed out about how Staley added a couple of players at the end positions on defense that had great height and length last year with the Rams, so I think you might be on to something.
            Just on the surface OLBs in a Staley D will need to be really athletic. He likes to get OL off their gap assignments and then penetrate. People want to compare Derwin to alot of guys...but you never see a LaVonte David comp. And thats something we could see. Him next to Murray shooting gaps. OLs will be so freaked out about that interior gap integrity. Along with edge guys coming in from so out wide. It will create huge gaps for us. And we have some athletes that can penetrate. Just need to get freakier on the outside. OLs will have their hands full with Bosa from that 4T spot. Get a guy like Roussu or Philips outside of him and watch out. It will really weaken inside gaps

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

Great perspective! I like your thinking.. especially with the use of James! This scheme should also create some favorable one on ones for Tillery to exploit inside as well who I am still high on. The Chargers roster to me have a few tweener players that did not mesh well within Bradley's scheme, but I think will do much better in this new scheme..

In Bradley's scheme, the FS role is a very tough position to play and can easily be exploited in certain downs / distance versus in Staley's scheme where there will be much more disguises that should help safeties in particular like Adderley in coverage.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Great perspective! I like your thinking.. especially with the use of James! This scheme should also create some favorable one on ones for Tillery to exploit inside as well who I am still high on. The Chargers roster to me have a few tweener players that did not mesh well within Bradley's scheme, but I think will do much better in this new scheme..

In Bradley's scheme, the FS role is a very tough position to play and can easily be exploited in certain downs / distance versus in Staley's scheme where there will be much more disguises that should help safeties in particular like Adderley in coverage.
                Money, Star, Safety. Those were Staleys words regarding James. I think since he was on camera he was just playing it coy. Derwin will be used inside as well i think. And yes we need to develop Adderley. In a 2 high he should have the skillset to develop. I still think we kick the tires of JJ3. But he may think Jenkins and Adderley can do what he wants. Im all for bringing Davis back but those CBs are premium spots. I bet he gets paid. Makes some sense to go cheaper and look at a guy like Troy Hill. He did well under Staley. Hes just so tiny. I like Davis's ceiling. He is getting better.

CB
                OLB/Edge
                C/OG/OT
                Maybe RB and WR
                Safety

We have our work cut out for us. I heard the team was really interested in Corey Linsley. Not sure how reputable the source is.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

"An off balance blocker cannot create efficient force or sustain."
                  Paul Alexander

Rashawn Slater really squares up well. He uses fundamentals, not strength. Consequently, I now see him as chiefly an OLT.
                  Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
                  Ben Herbert

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

OT, WR, CB and Edge. These are guys that lead the salary race. I want a guy that in 4 years from now will want 20M per. Slater could be one of those guys. But the beauty is that he comes hedged against failure. Meaning he likely slides into OG and dominates. If he struggles at OT.

Slater/Sewell
                    Waddle/Smith
                    Farley/Surtain
                    Rosseau/Paye(Paye at 270 runs a 4.5 40 and is versatile enough to play standup OLB as well as 4T/5T) Phillips in there also.

Thats 8 guys. Mix in the top 4 QBs...Chase and Pitts. Parsons. One of these guys will be there. Sort of my 1st round cluster.

All these guys if they turn out amazing will be spendy for a reason. They are ultra premium positions. And at 13 im looking at those positions. Unless there is a Quenton Nelson type. Which there is not. Nor is there a dominant monster DT. Love Pitts but he wont be there.

Im still stunned that Rosseau is only 20. Dominated at 18/19 and didnt even start. Just cant help but wonder what 2020 would have looked like for him had he not opted out. If he reproduces that he is a top 5 pick. Its one of those risks i guess...but he could be a huge steal at 13. He is 20 right now. Likely fresh. And the way we would use him allows him to learn on the fly and be successful just based on his athleticism. Good ceiling on him.

We could be looking at 4 top edge defenders who weigh 250-270 all run sub 4.5. The kid out of Penn State could run in the 4.3's

Just been going over OLB types. Huge hole for us. I almost feel like Staley is the perfect guy for a freak pass rusher that still is raw. Because the way he uses them really benefits their athleticism and allows them to develop those other more technical traits. Like hands. There is not doubt that the top end edge guys in this draft will get the freak label. Twitch city.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Fleet, I know you are all over Leonard Floyd...Rousseau...could be.

Good news, this draft is deep at SOLB/WOLB/EDGE.
                      Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
                      Ben Herbert

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

He is not sudden at all. Not a speed rusher off the edge. Most of his disruption, tackles for loss, sacks, come from the IDL, not being blocked at all, or a TE/WRS singled up trying to block him.
                        He has a tremendous motor, length, coverts his S2P, good diagnostic/processing skills, and has the frame you can’t teach.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He is not sudden at all. Not a speed rusher off the edge. Most of his disruption, tackles for loss, sacks, come from the IDL, not being blocked at all, or a TE/WRS singled up trying to block him.
                          He has a tremendous motor, length, coverts his S2P, good diagnostic/processing skills, and has the frame you can’t teach.
                          And you got all this off 1 season. Not even starting the entire season. He is a high upside guy. I absolutely see something different. Plays off the edge like a LB but is the size of Bosa almost. I get it Phillips is your guy. And they used him inside and he didnt disappoint. You should like the versatility. You dont get that type of production from the inside without some polished skills. Do we not need inside help as well? I said he was versatile. I like his upside.

Agree to disagree. He is raw. No question.

Comment

Working...
                          X