Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

My top 3 OTs are as follows......
    Sewell = 33.25” arm length
    Little = 33.75” arm length
    Jenkins = 33.50” arm length

Some very interesting day 3 OTs with ideal measurables.
    Dan Moore jr (TAMU) = 34.50”
    Tommy Doyle (MOH) = 35.125” arm length
    Landon Young (UKY) = 33.75” arm length
    Josh Ball (MARSHALL) = 35” arm length
    Larnel Coleman (UMASS) = 36.25” arm length
    I thought Jenkins arms measured at 32 7/8 inches...?

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I thought Jenkins arms measured at 32 7/8 inches...?
      T Teven Jenkins

Height: 6'6″ (56th percentile)
      Weight: 317 (69th)
      Arm: 33 1/2 (30th)
      Hand: 9 1/2 (22nd)
      Vertical: 33 (90th)
      Broad: 106 (60th)
      Bench: 36 reps (98th)
      40-yard: 5.03 (85th)
      Short shuttle: 4.66 (67th)
      3-cone: 7.72 (59th)
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

To get to the bottom of this argument, one needs to explain why Staley succeeded with his physical profile, and how Slater has/has not the same attributes.

i hadn't followed Staley's career. I assume he was quite technically advanced....as is Slater.

Joe Thomas had 33 inch arms and famously self described himself as not that strong.
        Well, the first thing I will point out are the physical differences between Joe Thomas, Joe Staley and Rashawn Slater while reporting some fact checking observations at the same time.

Joe Thomas was 6' 6.25" in height and weighed 311 pounds when he entered the league. His arms measured 33.75" (just barely under the benchmark number). Joe Staley measured 6' 5.875" in height and weighed 306 pounds. His arms were measured at 33.5".

Rashawn Slater measured 6'4" tall at his pro day (some have reported that he is only 6'3" tall). His weight was 304 pounds and his arms were measured at 33" long.

Staley and Thomas had bigger, longer frames. Thomas, in particular, is very nearly the prototypical OT in terms of his size. The comparison of Slater to Thomas is terrible. The comparison of Slater to Staley is off, but is not quite as bad of a comparison.

Again, nobody is suggesting that Slater cannot succeed in the NFL, but rather that he has some physical traits that are not the best for an NFL OT. Nobody is saying that he should not be drafted at all or even that he should not be drafted early. All that I am suggesting is that I would like to bet on a player with fewer red flags when it comes to our all important first round pick. The CBs seem like cleaner, safer picks to me at #13 overall and CB is as big of a need as OT is at this point.

I am not making this stuff up. There are some that believe that Slater is an OG and not an OT. That issue matters when you are making a choice at #13 overall.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Well, the first thing I will point out are the physical differences between Joe Thomas, Joe Staley and Rashawn Slater while reporting some fact checking observations at the same time.

Joe Thomas was 6' 6.25" in height and weighed 311 pounds when he entered the league. His arms measured 33.75" (just barely under the benchmark number). Joe Staley measured 6' 5.875" in height and weighed 306 pounds. His arms were measured at 33.5".

Rashawn Slater measured 6'4" tall at his pro day (some have reported that he is only 6'3" tall). His weight was 304 pounds and his arms were measured at 33" long.

Staley and Thomas had bigger, longer frames. Thomas, in particular, is very nearly the prototypical OT in terms of his size. The comparison of Slater to Thomas is terrible. The comparison of Slater to Staley is off, but is not quite as bad of a comparison.

Again, nobody is suggesting that Slater cannot succeed in the NFL, but rather that he has some physical traits that are not the best for an NFL OT. Nobody is saying that he should not be drafted at all or even that he should not be drafted early. All that I am suggesting is that I would like to bet on a player with fewer red flags when it comes to our all important first round pick. The CBs seem like cleaner, safer picks to me at #13 overall and CB is as big of a need as OT is at this point.

I am not making this stuff up. There are some that believe that Slater is an OG and not an OT. That issue matters when you are making a choice at #13 overall.
          I will say -- if when the Chargers are picking at 13 and there is a noticeable talent gap between say the best CB on the board and best LT - I would take the CB. Especially if its Horn as I think he seems like a great fit for the STanley defense

Maybe that is why I think I am higher on Little than maybe Darrisaw or Jenkins. By all the reports I have read, Little does seem to be a true LT. I was reading Dane Bruglers Beast of a draft guide for the Athletic and he mentioned for Slater could be a good OT or OG. And I have read this from others. I think the same for Jenkins. BRuglers concern with Little was he hasn't played for two years and would need to be coached up . 5 start recruit, top 10 in the country out of high school. So the tools are there

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            Bad news fellas... since 34" arms is the prerequisite for OT, it appears we only have 3 candidates in this year's draft: Darrisaw, Leatherwood, and Spencer Brown...
            My understanding is that there are 6 draft eligible players with 34+" arm length.

Of course, there is a world of difference between recognizing red flags that may serve to drop a player down a few slots on the draft board (such that the top CBs are seen as the better choice in the draft) and not selecting a player at all because of a perceived deficiency in an area. I favor the former. The latter is nonsense with respect to a player like Slater, who, at worst, has enough upside to be a second half of round 1 player as an OG with elite potential.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

This is all ticky tac as in not 100% accurate.

I know where you got that 33.75" for Thomas arms but I've found others that said they were 32.5" which I posted in one of these threads.

​​​​​NFLdraftscout which does have combine measurements when they are available during the combine, doesn't have his arm measurement. NFL.Com does as well but can't find his there either.

Slater measured 6'4 1/4" if you want to be technical

Staley himself said his arms are 33" replying to a tweet about others that had 33" arms. Yet I found someplace that showed his arms measured 34.25".

It's tough to find correct info after the fact anymore since CBS took over NFL draftscout. CBS don't give you shit except rankings.

So Idk.... 34"-33"..... Slow feet, good feet,.... There is also heart and desire which isn't measured.
              Who knows, maybe AVT will end up being a good LT dispute his arms

Screenshot_20210407-163427.png
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-07-2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                Protecting the edge is about footwork, agility, and technique in not overcommiting to the edge and being set up for counter or stunt moves. 3% shorter arms are easily overcome.

The bigger issue with arm length is in handfighting. Boxing and wrestling have a lot of analogues to lineplay, and 1" longer arms does give an advantage in those sports, especially boxing.

JJ Watt has 34" arms. Joey Bosa has 33.5" arms. Khalil Mack has 33.5" arms. OTs with longer arms have an advantage in hand fighting and reach
                Nice points. When I think about reach, I always think of Manny Pacquiao. In his prime Pacquiao concisely whipped opponents with a longer reach. Why? Footwork, quickness, and punch accuracy. He was brutally efficient.

When I watch Slater's tape I see similar qualities. He's extremely quick off the line, has great footwork, and when he reaches to engage, it's always right under the shoulder pads. He's got great hand placement and keeps a wide set. There's little wasted motion.

In the NFL I worry about his anchor more than his length.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This is all ticky tac as in not 100% accurate.

I know where you got that 33.75" for Thomas arms but I've found others that said they were 32.5" which I posted in one of these threads.

​​​​​NFLdraftscout which does have combine measurements when they are available during the combine, doesn't have his arm measurement. NFL.Com does as well but can't find his there either.

Slater measured 6'4 1/4" if you want to be technical

Staley himself recently said his arms are 33" replying to a tweet about others that had 33" arms. Yet I found someplace that showed his arms measured 34.25".....Staley himself refutted.

It's tough to find correct info after the fact anymore since CBS took over NFL draftscout. CBS don't give you shit except rankings.

Screenshot_20210407-163427.png
                  The numbers I used were reported combine numbers (Thomas and Staley) and reported pro day numbers (Slater). I have not seen 6'4.25" reported for Slater, but have seen 6'3" reported for him. For purposes of our discussion and to be consistent, I have accepted the most formal measurement I could find, his pro day measurement, which I have understood to be 6'4" even.

Also, I would think that it would be the rule rather than the exception that in informal discussion someone like Staley would not carry his measurement to the half inch. The reported combine measurement was 33.5" so that is what I used for him.

Staley and Thomas are also different than Slater in that they are about 2-3 inches taller and that length also adds to their ability to widen the edge when compared to a shorter player (think King Dunlap, whose best and maybe only favorable trait was that he was kind of hard to run around because he was so big/long, versus a regular sized OT).

Again, this entire discussion is taking place because I have discussed preferring Horn, Surtain II and Farley to Slater at #13. I am not suggesting that Slater does not have very good potential or that he should not be selected in round 1. I just like those other players better based upon the information available to me at this point.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

I have not seen 6'4.25" reported for Slater

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Well, now I have have seen 6' 4.25" reported for Slater.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

images~2.jpeg
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

we need physical measurements for psychological attributes like alpha status
                          I won’t be satisfied until we start measuring cock sizes haha
                          Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Working...
                          X