• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    The overall draft IQ among TPB members just keeps getting higher and higher each year. Its amazing how much guys are learning and sharing here. Makes everyone smarter. Thats what really makes being a fan fun. Its not just wins or losses that generate excitement. Its the strategy of it and actually knowing every little detail about the team and the game of football. The X;s and O;s. The game of chess. Its not simple. Its not easy. Concepts on O and D are dynamic as hell. Its become such a cerebral game.

I feel like so many here are investing the time....wanting to learn so that the takes here are sound....and create good discussion.

I guess im just saying cheers to you guys. Im proud of this forum. Proud of the level of football intellect. What an honor to be a part of this. Sure is fun to watch my baby grow like this.
    Yep...I've learned a lot here...true dat...

Comment

• chargerkdb
      Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hotter than hell, Georgia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

So what exactly did your analysis reveal? Can't find any of his metrics, arm length for one, not to mention agility, explosion, strength and speed? Tape looks pretty good but poor hand position will cause holding penalties. No sacks allowed and six hurries but Hokies are primarily a running offense, not pro set Chargers run. He might be better on the right side, just my two cents. No crazy about the pick, but like position. If he bombs left side, move him to the right after Bryan Bulaga contract expires, which by the way they look almost identical size and build.
      It’s behind paywall at the Athletic, should be article by Andy Bitter. If memory serves Darrisaw was 6’5 322 and had 34.25 arm length. He did run positional drills.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Let's think all this through.
        Let's get real smart.

The current buzz says late round one and early round two are the kill zones @ OT...several juicy prospects.

We can sit around with our fingers up our azzes, or we can be proactive.

NYJ sits at 23 and IND is at 21. NYJ needs to jump IND to get their bookend to protect Zack Wilson.
        Snooze you lose. Props to David Diehl, SXM NFL Radio.

We can expect a second tier run on OTs early in round two, before pick 47. Props to Nutty, TPB Nutbar.

We need to do something with NYJ, dangle #13 for #23 & #34, or something.
        ​​​
        It could just be that we would be better positioned at #23 and #34, vs #13 and #47, with regard to the way this big board plays out.

LAC could go impact defender, then starting OLT, or we could double dip at OL quite nicely.

Trenchers, there are starting OLT's after pick 13, but maybe, maybe not, by pick 47.

This is what we at TPB need to figure out in the next two and a half weeks.
        Wood, welcome back to the Trenchers...

(again...)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Even though I prefer the CBs to the OTs, I think that your point about KC also needing OTs as a reason to get them off of the board is good point.
          There are a lot of teams that need OT. Hence, when trading down not dropping below the Colts thats for sure

It just might be smart to get your LT at 13 and figure out CB in the 2nd round. Might be the pragmatic smart approach. If that is Darrisaw - go for it!

Indy, WFT, KC, Detroit or Carolina might go OT at top of the 2nd; Cowboys probably go OC at top of Center but still OL; 49ers might go OC at top of 2nd.

If Darrisaw is a good football player - won't matter if he was over-picked. Just have to do your homework Telesco. Hell, shock the world and take Walker Little - as long as the tape shows he can play LT and the coaches can coach him up.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PORTERPARTY1 View Post
            Would it make sense to trade down say 4 spots, get another 2nd , One of the top 5 olt would be their and then go for cb, wr, rb edge in second and third. /
            with a little luck we could get 3 or 4 starters.
            It's so tempting to trade back and get extra picks.

But we're in a sweet spot for OT. We get to choose our favorite from a gaggle of OT prospects. If it's arm length that is important to us... then Darrisaw. If we don't believe arm length is such a big deal, and we want an elite athlete for our outside zone... then Cosmi. If we want a junkyard dawg... Jenkins.

Once we move back, however, we immediately give up one of those to Minnesota @#14. And then starting @#20, the OT's start flying off the board... Chicago, Indy, Pittsburg, KC... potentially others.

Don't get too greedy... you may miss out on your guy.

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Rivers was good in 2006 (8th in the NFL in passer rating) and he led the back to back huge road comebacks against CIN and DEN in consecutive weeks. He had a higher passer rating than Burrow despite playing in a time when the rules were less favorable to QBs.

I see a whole lot of excuses being made for Burrow. The reality is that our OL ranked worse than CIN's in both pass block win rate (29th for CIN versus 31st for us) and run block win rate (11th for CIN versus 32nd for us). Yet, Herbert was still clearly the better QB.

Anything is possible, but I do not see Burrow duplicating Rivers' 1st, 3rd and 2nd rank in passer rating in his 4th through 6th seasons like Rivers did or ever for that matter. He could improve more, but so far he has not been anything special.
              Less favorable for QBs? Whatever it is now is a marginal improvement at best. Rivers didn’t have to deal with what the 80s or even 90s QB had to face. Likewise, he had the best rushing attack that year with LT next to him as well as one of the best OL. I think this is why passer ratings on their own without context is misleading to say the least.

Likewise, our OL was the worst. But I think it’s also misleading to say that the Bengals were that much better than we were. What’s the difference between the 29th and the 31st in pass blocking? Is it as big as the 27th and 29th, or smaller?

Did you also forget that in 2019, we had like the 5th best pass block win rate in the first four games?

Comment

• chargerkdb
                Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post

It’s behind paywall at the Athletic, should be article by Andy Bitter. If memory serves Darrisaw was 6’5 322 and had 34.25 arm length. He did run positional drills.
                Actually on further review Darrisaw measured at:
                Height: 6046 Weight: 322 Arm length: 34.5 at least I remembered the 322 haha

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Less favorable for QBs? Whatever it is now is a marginal improvement at best. Rivers didn’t have to deal with what the 80s or even 90s QB had to face. Likewise, he had the best rushing attack that year with LT next to him as well as one of the best OL. I think this is why passer ratings on their own without context is misleading to say the least.

Likewise, our OL was the worst. But I think it’s also misleading to say that the Bengals were that much better than we were. What’s the difference between the 29th and the 31st in pass blocking? Is it as big as the 27th and 29th, or smaller?

Did you also forget that in 2019, we had like the 5th best pass block win rate in the first four games?
                  Dont know why Chain likes to make absolutes after rookie seasons. I do think Tua will be better. He just has to get acclimated to the NFL. Burrow will be better and Herbert as well. After year three we will have a good idea. I think Burrow will be a real good one and Tua can be as well....if he can stay healthy. He already missed two games last year being hurt.

This class will be interesting to see. I think Wilson will struggle if he plays as a rookie and i think Lance will struggle a lot IF he plays as a rookie. Jones will have that smaller window thing going on too. We'll se how he adapts compared to Tua.
                  11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                  35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                  37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                  66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                  69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                  100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                  110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                  140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                  181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                  225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Dont know why Chain likes to make absolutes after rookie seasons. I do think Tua will be better. He just has to get acclimated to the NFL. Burrow will be better and Herbert as well. After year three we will have a good idea. I think Burrow will be a real good one and Tua can be as well....if he can stay healthy. He already missed two games last year being hurt.

This class will be interesting to see. I think Wilson will struggle if he plays as a rookie and i think Lance will struggle a lot IF he plays as a rookie. Jones will have that smaller window thing going on too. We'll se how he adapts compared to Tua.
                    I think the concern with Tua was that Flores kept yanking him when the offense stalled under him. And as soon as Fitz came back in as QB, the offense picked up again. I also think Tua was super hesitant last year about pushing the ball downfield. But we’ll see what happens this year. Everyone can improve or regress in year 2.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think the concern with Tua was that Flores kept yanking him when the offense stalled under him. And as soon as Fitz came back in as QB, the offense picked up again. I also think Tua was super hesitant last year about pushing the ball downfield. But we’ll see what happens this year. Everyone can improve or regress in year 2.
                      Right, as Fitz explained, Tua was having trouble with the window size when they watched film. He was used to having wide open players and at least good seperation and he dont in the NFL so he said he was telling him while watching tape...."that is open in the NFL" while he would hesitate to throw the ball there. He just needs reps and get acclimated.

Thats the growing process.

Rosen.... would throw his balls too late resulting in INTs or incompletions. His proccessing was/is slow and after his third year, if he isnt getting it, he may never. He really has fallen hard and another example of a top rated QB who is a bust. He is doing much worse than Tua.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PORTERPARTY1 View Post
                        Would it make sense to trade down say 4 spots, get another 2nd , One of the top 5 olt would be their and then go for cb, wr, rb edge in second and third. /
                        with a little luck we could get 3 or 4 starters.
                        I believe we could trade down to 20 with da Bears and get an addiional 2nd if a QB is there for them at 13. Still get one of Cosmi, Little, Jenkins. maybe even Darrisaw if he's the guy. Keeps us ahead of Indy, Pitt, and KC.
                        That said my preference is up for Sewell which is unlikely I know.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

It's so tempting to trade back and get extra picks.

But we're in a sweet spot for OT. We get to choose our favorite from a gaggle of OT prospects. If it's arm length that is important to us... then Darrisaw. If we don't believe arm length is such a big deal, and we want an elite athlete for our outside zone... then Cosmi. If we want a junkyard dawg... Jenkins.

Once we move back, however, we immediately give up one of those to Minnesota @#14. And then starting @#20, the OT's start flying off the board... Chicago, Indy, Pittsburg, KC... potentially others.

Don't get too greedy... you may miss out on your guy.
                          Yes, the more I see about what teams behind the Bolts wanting OL - I definetly am not going lower than Washington. Granted, teams can hop you

Comment

Working...
                          X