• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    Bad news fellas... since 34" arms is the prerequisite for OT, it appears we only have 3 candidates in this year's draft: Darrisaw, Leatherwood, and Spencer Brown...

sarcastic pee wee herman GIF
    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
    181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
    225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The scouting community seems somewhat divided in their appraisal of Sewell. I would guess it comes down to the GM and that group....not a lot of high quality defensive ends
      rushing the qb in the PAC 12 in 2019.

We know that Chase seems to get universal admiration....and there is more than enough tape. GMs by nature are very cautious....take the sure thing.
      Short arms, low quality opposition, didn't play in 2020.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

D’Ante Smith
        Sorry, but all OT's must be over 300 pounds, too. D'Ante is only 294 pounds. Maybe a diet of Oreos until draft days makes him viable. Add in the fact that he's Sammy Small School (Armstead - Pine Bluff) and you can't take him until the 3rd round (Pipkins/Armstead).

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

sarcastic pee wee herman GIF
          "You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, a rebel."

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

The scouting community seems somewhat divided in their appraisal of Sewell. I would guess it comes down to the GM and that group....not a lot of high quality defensive ends
            rushing the qb in the PAC 12 in 2019.

We know that Chase seems to get universal admiration....and there is more than enough tape. GMs by nature are very cautious....take the sure thing.
            True. DJ has Slater ahead of him. Honestly im fine with either. I think they are both stud LT prospects. I dont care about the noise regarding arm length etc. I just love the film. Sewell it like wreck it ralph out there. You watch the tape and put him in a 10 foot box...3 guys come through that box and he has hands on all of them. His short area maneuverability is insane. Dont use the term twitchy wil OL often....but he has some. AVT as well from that OG spot.

I am sort of low key expecting us to move up. Thats where im at. I think we are working the phones. I think we also have free agents in the wings to fill the holes. We are now hearing Sherman wont sign until after the draft. Many players taking this approach imo. Probably use some picks to move up...then supplement in free agency. Maybe one of those drafts where we sign the free agent during it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Measure twice.
              Type once.
              D'Ante...305#...85" arm length.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

To get to the bottom of this argument, one needs to explain why Staley succeeded with his physical profile, and how Slater has/has not the same attributes.

i hadn't followed Staley's career. I assume he was quite technically advanced....as is Slater.

Joe Thomas had 33 inch arms and famously self described himself as not that strong.
                You’re looking to the exceptions not the standard physical metric.

I like Slater more as an OG versus OT but he may be able to hold up as an above average OT.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Measure twice.
                  Type once.
                  D'Ante...305#...85" arm length.
                  Uh oh... 5.32 40-yard dash.
                  DJ Fluker timed @ 5.31.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, are Little and Jenkins now on the T-Rex list?
                    My top 3 OTs are as follows......
                    Sewell = 33.25” arm length
                    Little = 33.75” arm length
                    Jenkins = 33.50” arm length

Some very interesting day 3 OTs with ideal measurables.
                    Dan Moore jr (TAMU) = 34.50”
                    Tommy Doyle (MOH) = 35.125” arm length
                    Landon Young (UKY) = 33.75” arm length
                    Josh Ball (MARSHALL) = 35” arm length
                    Larnel Coleman (UMASS) = 36.25” arm length

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Protecting the edge is about footwork, agility, and technique in not overcommiting to the edge and being set up for counter or stunt moves. 3% shorter arms are easily overcome.

The bigger issue with arm length is in handfighting. Boxing and wrestling have a lot of analogues to lineplay, and 1" longer arms does give an advantage in those sports, especially boxing.

JJ Watt has 34" arms. Joey Bosa has 33.5" arms. Khalil Mack has 33.5" arms. OTs with longer arms have an advantage in hand fighting and reach

The question for Slater and Sewell is if they have the anchor to absorb power moves from longer DEs without losing their base and the hand technique to maintain leverage and not lose to rips, etc, when the opponent has the first contact. That's what people should be looking for on film, not pure speed to the edge. Arm length is an issue but it can be overcome. Tackles lose the edge when their arms are moved out of position. This was something Elvis Dumervil excelled at despite his lack of length.

This issue doesn't go away with IOL, it's just that DTs tend to have shorter arms. Aaron Donald is 32.63" for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No it doesnt prove anything but it did prove that your measurable for someone that isnt likely to be a good LT is Staley.

There are other 6'4" OTs in the league that are doing well, two drafted high last year and Joe Thomas is another who didnt have long arms who is going to be a HOF'er.

IMO great feet can compensate for shorter arms. Slater has them, so did Staley and Thomas so im really not worried about him and its not controversal at all.

As for the bottom bolded, that still remains to be seen. In three years as is when we can revisit this. As many have pointed out to you numerous times, Burrow was having a fine season til his injury. Dont care to rehash your meaningless stats on the matter.

Just wanted your thoughts on those saying Lawrence isnt the #1 QB. Not sure he will be better than Herbert but we'll see later and it dont matter anyways, same for Burrow.
                        Burrow was not having a fine season in terms of any reasonable measurement of that concept. He did not finish in the top 20 of any of completion percentage, YPA, TD% or passer rating. He secured good total yardage numbers per game solely as a function of passing the ball many times per game, not because he was playing well. I think it is fair to say that Burrow has the potential to improve, but it is just wrong to say that he had a fine season. His performance was closer to Tagovailoa's than it was to Herbert's.

I do not disagree that good traits in one area may offset bad ones in another. However, it is a bad draft strategy to assume that that will happen. I would rather select a player with fewer red flags and the same upside (albeit at a different position). That is just simple logic. So other players are preferred to Slater.

Again, nobody is saying that there have not been exceptions to the general rules about what makes a good OT, WR, QB or anything else. But assuming that that will be the case is a questionable approach to the draft when other, less risky options may be available.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Protecting the edge is about footwork, agility, and technique in not overcommiting to the edge and being set up for counter or stunt moves. 3% shorter arms are easily overcome.

The bigger issue with arm length is in handfighting. Boxing and wrestling have a lot of analogues to lineplay, and 1" longer arms does give an advantage in those sports, especially boxing.

JJ Watt has 34" arms. Joey Bosa has 33.5" arms. Khalil Mack has 33.5" arms. OTs with longer arms have an advantage in hand fighting and reach

The question for Slater and Sewell is if they have the anchor to absorb power moves from longer DEs without losing their base and the hand technique to maintain leverage and not lose to rips, etc, when the opponent has the first contact. That's what people should be looking for on film, not pure speed to the edge. Arm length is an issue but it can be overcome. Tackles lose the edge when their arms are moved out of position. This was something Elvis Dumervil excelled at despite his lack of length.

This issue doesn't go away with IOL, it's just that DTs tend to have shorter arms. Aaron Donald is 32.63" for example.
                          Excellent content.
                          A new and valuable member to TPB family.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X