Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
    So let’s say the Chargers are picking 6th, with the opportunity to trade up to 2, Sewell is there, offer is next year’s 1st round pick, on the clock. You make the trade?
    YES - I'd even through in a special teams coach for free!
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

I think the best approach is to build an excellent offensive line to protect Herbert!!!!

For receivers, didnt you see Herbert throw touchdown to three undrafted players in a game? so I don't think we really need an excellent wide receiver (we already have one in Keenan!)....

For running back, I think a group we have now should be decent enough...

Build the best offensive line!!!

Go Herbert!!!

Go Bolts!!!
      odf course ageree we need an OL....... and yes I saw him throw those YTD's to undrafted players but we still have lost 7 games and those receivers have not done much since..... the 2 games we won were because of an insignificant OPI thaty saved us against CIN(who out played us) and it tgook 39 pointsa to beat a bad JAX team........

BUT,
      the ONLY dependable WR we have is KA...... we need more guys that defenses have to really prepare for...... Guyton was not fast enough to out run a LBer to get out of bounds on a short drag route..... Williams makes one great play then on other plays drops the ball or runs the routes short or is injured........ plus they are not likely to resign Williams so that leaves a big hole..... so we are not a great team till we add 2 more real WR's..... we have guys who can take advantage of blown coverages but when we play a team that has fast cover guys who can cover closely, most og the guys cannot beat tight coverage and make the catch......

Our small injury prone group of RB's are far less talented than just about every other team and we only have 2 healthy per week because they are so small and fragile.....
      We have not drafted a real EVERY down dependable RB since LT, so we need to grab at least 2 full size power backs in this draft to go with ekler and kelley or balage....

And henry is a good average TE like Seivers was, but he is not a difference-maker like Winslow or Gates, so we need to find the nextr great TE......

This team ALSO needs a real pass rushing DE to replace Ingram....

This team also needs a young, fast press/man CB who can take away the best WR on other team......

This team also needs a new DC and a new ST coordinator....... and likely a new HC but we need to change ST's and DC right now so we can use the remaining games this year to figure out what kind of scheme matches our talent...... I don't want to wait till next year to teach these players how to blitze the crap out of QB's...... they need to learn now.....

Comment

• Boltgang74
        We Are The Storm!
        • Aug 2018
        • Send PM

The most obvious to me is we need a new damn GM and scouting department.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Yes
          and throw in a 4th for good measure.

Signed Telesco

seriously though, yes.
          Just so i understand your proposal ... it goes like this?:

JAX: We’ll give you our #2 pick but it will cost your 1st, plus next year’s #1
          TT: Let let me also give you my 4th and you have a deal!
          JAX: ok

That sounds like the Chargers to me.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
            So let’s say the Chargers are picking 6th, with the opportunity to trade up to 2, Sewell is there, offer is next year’s 1st round pick, on the clock. You make the trade?
            Depends on what trade down offers we receive as well. If we could pick up an extra 2nd this year or a 1st next year, I'd love to trade down into the 7-12 range more than I'd like to trade up. I love Sewell and have been advocating suck for Sewell since after the Bucs game, but I think OT is fairly deep this year. No one is Sewell, but I think there will be a couple of guys with mid first round value and picking up some additional capital could help us lock down another position of need, too. Let's say a trade down with SF at 12 for their first this year at 12, their 2nd this year, we could probably pick up our second rated tackle and one of our top guard choices. We'd still have SF's 2nd, our 3rd, likely 3rd compensatory pick, 4th, 5th, two 6th round picks, and a 7th to pick up talent in the CB, DL, WR, etc.

I know things look bleak, but this team has a lot of draft capital and a decent amount of cap space in a year where a lot of teams will have to be cutting key contributors to get under the cap. Deals can be had in FA, as well. I thought it was a good idea to move on from Rivers because his cost was going to be so much higher than a rookie QB. Rivers needs a great team around him to win at this point in his career and we couldn't pay him and build the team. Saving the $15 million a year on his salary will be huge. Hopefully, Spanos doesn't cheap out this offseason and we spend to the cap, but we don't need to fill all our positions of need in the draft. Despite how things are playing out this season, I'm the most optimistic I've been in awhile.
            Last edited by eaterfan; 11-17-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
              Our talent >>>> our record.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Our talent >>>> our record.
                They are what their record says they are
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Depends if you include the IR list.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                    Be honest though, what are our chances in getting a GM better than TT? What are our chances in getting a worse GM than TT?

TT is considered one of the better GMs in drafting talent. At least at one point.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

TT is fine as long as you accept a GM who believes mediocrity is fine. The worse things get, the more he shrinks into the background.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

odf course ageree we need an OL....... and yes I saw him throw those YTD's to undrafted players but we still have lost 7 games and those receivers have not done much since..... the 2 games we won were because of an insignificant OPI thaty saved us against CIN(who out played us) and it tgook 39 pointsa to beat a bad JAX team........

BUT,
                        the ONLY dependable WR we have is KA...... we need more guys that defenses have to really prepare for...... Guyton was not fast enough to out run a LBer to get out of bounds on a short drag route..... Williams makes one great play then on other plays drops the ball or runs the routes short or is injured........ plus they are not likely to resign Williams so that leaves a big hole..... so we are not a great team till we add 2 more real WR's..... we have guys who can take advantage of blown coverages but when we play a team that has fast cover guys who can cover closely, most og the guys cannot beat tight coverage and make the catch......

Our small injury prone group of RB's are far less talented than just about every other team and we only have 2 healthy per week because they are so small and fragile.....
                        We have not drafted a real EVERY down dependable RB since LT, so we need to grab at least 2 full size power backs in this draft to go with ekler and kelley or balage....

And henry is a good average TE like Seivers was, but he is not a difference-maker like Winslow or Gates, so we need to find the nextr great TE......

This team ALSO needs a real pass rushing DE to replace Ingram....

This team also needs a young, fast press/man CB who can take away the best WR on other team......

This team also needs a new DC and a new ST coordinator....... and likely a new HC but we need to change ST's and DC right now so we can use the remaining games this year to figure out what kind of scheme matches our talent...... I don't want to wait till next year to teach these players how to blitze the crap out of QB's...... they need to learn now.....

so we basically need everyone except a QB and LB. ok, got it. ;-)

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

so we basically need everyone except a QB and LB. ok, got it. ;-)
                          Awesome, this is where I come in and make the argument we hire Dave Toub as head coach and draft a LB in the Top Five.

I argue the Chargers aren't going to resign Melvin Ingram and will let him leave via free agency.

Let Micah Parsons replace SupaMel at OLB. The Chargers are now getting after the passer with 3 DL and Parsons at the OLB position. He's bigger than Mel, and faster, and can take on OGs.

That's 1A) Micah Parsons 1B) Draft back up into the 1st Round and select Walker Little at OT, and use the money saved on SupaMel's contract to sign FA Center Alex Mack. Sign a FA CB to one year or two year deal.

At Penn State, Parsons made the difficult transition from defensive end to linebacker look easier than it is. Coaches normally convert linebackers to ends, not vice versa, and Parsons learned how to play in space at Penn State, though that took time.

"He was maybe the best high school pass-rusher I've seen, so I was a little skeptical when Penn State moved him to linebacker as a freshman," Tucker said. "He did a lot of positive things, but you could tell he was just big and fast and running around out there. You could tell he didn't understand the position really well."
                          https://www.si.com/college/pennstate...sons-nfl-draft

Micah Parsons was a defensive end 'the best high school pass-rusher' he'd ever seen and the Nittany Lions moved Parsons from DE to LB.

Move him back to DE, but call him an OLB.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍