• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

been takin' a look @some consensus mocks and wondering how we stack up w/things, and.... this is my bias/strategy based on what I've dug up:

1) if we stay put in the top five/ten, think it comes down to the either of LEO Gregory Rousseau, MIKE Micah Parsons or a trade down

1A) if we trade down to somewhere in the twenties, think we're looking @the likes of CB Shaun Wade or your OT by way of Rashawn Slater or Christian Darrisaw

2) @the top of the second, think your best bets would be WR Terrace Marshall or OG Trey Smith

2A) if we nab an additional second second rounder then think names like LEO Jaylen Oweh or CB Eric Stokes may be in play here

3) if we're lucky w/our third rounder then we might have a shot @someone like OC Josh Myers or OT Daniel Faalele

3C) w/the comp pick think we'd be looking @the likes of S Hamsah Nasirildeen, NT Tyler Shelvin or OG Deonte Brown

4) info starting to thin out here, but will roll out a coupla few names for the duration like OG Zion Johnson, CB Ambry Thomas or OT Spencer Brown

5) only name left of note by my take was NT Khyiris Tonga ??

personally, if I was convinced Trey Smith was gonna last 'til into the second round, would not be averse to trading down again and altogether out of the first round for additional picks, maybe an additional third rounder, as am convinced we need depth and next level talent to fill out our roster to make up for Telesco's overdrafting and trade downs, which has depleted our roster of talent and depth.

really want to stack players and picks this draft.... we need to solidify the foundation and composition of this roster and stop w/the trade ups and reaching for needs.... let the draft come to you and stockpile picks !!
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
      been takin' a look @some consensus mocks and wondering how we stack up w/things, and.... this is my bias/strategy based on what I've dug up:

1) if we stay put in the top five/ten, think it comes down to the either of LEO Gregory Rousseau, MIKE Micah Parsons or a trade down

1A) if we trade down to somewhere in the twenties, think we're looking @the likes of CB Shaun Wade or your OT by way of Rashawn Slater or Christian Darrisaw

2) @the top of the second, think your best bets would be WR Terrace Marshall or OG Trey Smith

2A) if we nab an additional second second rounder then think names like LEO Jaylen Oweh or CB Eric Stokes may be in play here

3) if we're lucky w/our third rounder then we might have a shot @someone like OC Josh Myers or OT Daniel Faalele

3C) w/the comp pick think we'd be looking @the likes of S Hamsah Nasirildeen, NT Tyler Shelvin or OG Deonte Brown

4) info starting to thin out here, but will roll out a coupla few names for the duration like OG Zion Johnson, CB Ambry Thomas or OT Spencer Brown

5) only name left of note by my take was NT Khyiris Tonga ??

personally, if I was convinced Trey Smith was gonna last 'til into the second round, would not be averse to trading down again and altogether out of the first round for additional picks, maybe an additional third rounder, as am convinced we need depth and next level talent to fill out our roster to make up for Telesco's overdrafting and trade downs, which has depleted our roster of talent and depth.

really want to stack players and picks this draft.... we need to solidify the foundation and composition of this roster and stop w/the trade ups and reaching for needs.... let the draft come to you and stockpile picks !!
      I like your thinking with the trade down option, as long as either Slater or Darrisaw is still on the board when we pick in the 1st round. I'm almost in total lockstep with the rest of your picks, except I'd go with an edge rusher with the 3A pick. Lookin at Myjai Sanders' potential in a role behind Nwosu in 2021.
      In your trade-down situation I'd go:

Trade our early 1st for a 1st & 2nd & maybe a 5th.

1A: Christian Darrisaw, OT
      2: Erik Stokes, CB
      2A: Trey Smith, OG
      3: Josh Meyers, OC
      3A: Myjai Sanders, EDGE
      4. Spencer Brown, RT (to develop a year behind Bulaga)
      5. Tonga/Alim McNeil, NT
      6. PGIV, LB
      6A. Josh Jobe, CB
      7. Best kicker available...looking at Jose Borregales
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

From Matt Miller

5. Los Angeles Chargers

The Los Angeles Chargers aren't winning as much this season as they'd like, but there is a strong foundation in place with rookie quarterback Justin Herbert appearing to be the long-term solution at the position. General manager Tom Telesco and head coach Anthony Lynn now have to build a team around Herbert and find a way to keep the players they land in the draft healthy.

At No. 5 overall, the Chargers may be in position to draft the No. 2 offensive tackle off the board—which might be Texas' Sam Cosmi or Northwestern's Rashawn Slater—and immediately improve an offensive line that could use upgrades on the edges.

Another option could be drafting a young wide receiver to pair with Herbert and Keenan Allen, as the oft-injured Mike Williams is set to hit free agency after the 2021 season. Wide receiver isn't a huge need on paper, but looking at what the Kansas City Chiefs, Las Vegas Raiders and Denver Broncos have invested at the position, it would make sense for the Chargers to load up around Herbert.

The secondary could use upgrades, but this feels too early for a Patrick Surtain II or Caleb Farley (Virginia Tech). And while Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons might be intriguing at this spot, the Chargers would be making a luxury pick with that selection. This feels like an offensive tackle, wide receiver or bust.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Is TT dumb enough to select a WR at 5!?!?!?
          I don't care if you give Herbert an in his prime Jerry Rice on one side, and Randy Moss on the other, with Kellen Winslow at TE and Walter Payton and Jim Brown as your RB's - if Justin can't stay on his feet the rest of these HOF'ers become USELESS!!! GOTTA PROTECT THE KID!!!!
          Anyone suggesting the Bolts select a WR with the 5th pick in the draft is out of touch.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            From Matt Miller

5. Los Angeles Chargers

The Los Angeles Chargers aren't winning as much this season as they'd like, but there is a strong foundation in place with rookie quarterback Justin Herbert appearing to be the long-term solution at the position. General manager Tom Telesco and head coach Anthony Lynn now have to build a team around Herbert and find a way to keep the players they land in the draft healthy.

At No. 5 overall, the Chargers may be in position to draft the No. 2 offensive tackle off the board—which might be Texas' Sam Cosmi or Northwestern's Rashawn Slater—and immediately improve an offensive line that could use upgrades on the edges.

Another option could be drafting a young wide receiver to pair with Herbert and Keenan Allen, as the oft-injured Mike Williams is set to hit free agency after the 2021 season. Wide receiver isn't a huge need on paper, but looking at what the Kansas City Chiefs, Las Vegas Raiders and Denver Broncos have invested at the position, it would make sense for the Chargers to load up around Herbert.

The secondary could use upgrades, but this feels too early for a Patrick Surtain II or Caleb Farley (Virginia Tech). And while Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons might be intriguing at this spot, the Chargers would be making a luxury pick with that selection. This feels like an offensive tackle, wide receiver or bust.
            Fixed it for ya there Matt Miller 0 - its OL or bust.

My concern is Telesco feels the need for WR (Chase or Waddle) because Herbert needs a target - but I am of the opinion, protect Herbert as 15 and 83 have shown they can make plays.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Fixed it for ya there Matt Miller 0 - its OL or bust.

My concern is Telesco feels the need for WR (Chase or Waddle) because Herbert needs a target - but I am of the opinion, protect Herbert as 15 and 83 have shown they can make plays.
              Protect Herbie, and he'll do fine. He's got KA, Mike Will, Guyton, HH...receiver not a top priority, and there's always a glut of them in late rounds...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Protect Herbie, and he'll do fine. He's got KA, Mike Will, Guyton, HH...receiver not a top priority, and there's always a glut of them in late rounds...
                With the current draft pick of 5 - hard to see Penei Sewell being available so a trade down could be in line. But, with the NFL cap probably going down - draft picks could be a premium for other teams to not want to trade. Its a good year for the Chargers to have 9 picks. That doesn't mean squander them but good year to have a couple extra picks for those cheaper contracts.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                  Is TT dumb enough to select a WR at 5!?!?!?
                  I don't care if you give Herbert an in his prime Jerry Rice on one side, and Randy Moss on the other, with Kellen Winslow at TE and Walter Payton and Jim Brown as your RB's - if Justin can't stay on his feet the rest of these HOF'ers become USELESS!!! GOTTA PROTECT THE KID!!!!
                  Anyone suggesting the Bolts select a WR with the 5th pick in the draft is out of touch.
                  Orange alert..."anyone" here.

Chase, like KA, has an ability to get open early in routes. What separates Ja'Marr from Mike Williams, Kyle Pitts, anyone you can name, is his refined route running. Think Keenan Allen with explosive deep speed and equal or greater separation from DBs.

Opponents cannot simultaneously double both KA & JC, while blitzing effectively. Needlessly to say, this helps the Oline and protects Herb. Furthermore we have a perfect weapon that enables us to take full advantage of Herb's elite arm talent.

Either opponents have two top tier CBs, or they are toast. Most significantly, we can roll with KC.

1. Ja'Marr Chase. WR#1.
                  2. Dillon Radunz. OLT #1.
                  3a. Deonte Brown. ORG#1.
                  3b. Mohamed Ibrahim. RB #1b.

Rds 4, 5, 6a, 6b, 7 can be used for TE and defensive depth. This draft is deep at our defensive positions of need.

There is always the possibility that OT#2 rises on the Big Boards between now and Draft Day. I would seriously consider trading up for Sewell too, in line with your concept.

I've been out of touch since the beginning...

You don't know ball

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

With the current draft pick of 5 - hard to see Penei Sewell being available so a trade down could be in line. But, with the NFL cap probably going down - draft picks could be a premium for other teams to not want to trade. Its a good year for the Chargers to have 9 picks. That doesn't mean squander them but good year to have a couple extra picks for those cheaper contracts.
                    If Sewell is not there, I like the trade down, but not too far, or we could lose out on someone like Cosmi. If we go with a WR, late rounds is better.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Chase, like KA, has an ability to get open early in routes. What separates Ja'Marr from Mike Williams, Kyle Pitts, anyone you can name, is his refined route running. Think Keenan Allen with explosive deep speed and equal or greater separation from DBs.

Opponents cannot simultaneously double both KA & JC, while blitzing effectively. Needlessly to say, this helps the Oline and protects Herb. Furthermore we have a perfect weapon that enables us to take full advantage of Herb's elite arm talent.

Either opponents have two top tier CBs, or they are toast. Most significantly, we can roll with KC.

1. Ja'Marr Chase. WR#1.
                      3a. Deonte Brown. ORG#1.

Rds 4, 5, 6a, 6b, 7 can be used for TE and defensive depth. This draft is deep at our defensive positions of need.

There is always the possibility that OT#2 rises on the Big Boards between now and Draft Day. I would seriously consider trading up for Sewell too, in line with your concept.

I'd rather get a top-shelf OT with our top pick, than go WR. If Herbie can't get time to throw on those long routes, a deep threat wideout won't be as much bang for your buck as a solid OT...we've been kicking the OT can down the road too long...

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

1. Ja'Marr Chase. WR#1.
                        3a. Deonte Brown. ORG#1.

Offense, especially OL. Early and often. We need OL desperately, but I never underestimate the value of top WRs. I have concern that after Sewell, the next spot for picking an OT may be at 15 or so. And Id hate to not maximize the value of the #5 pick.

I’d have no problem taking 4 OL in this draft in a scattergun approach to finding players.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Offense, especially OL. Early and often. We need OL desperately, but I never underestimate the value of top WRs. I have concern that after Sewell, the next spot for picking an OT may be at 15 or so. And Id hate to not maximize the value of the #5 pick.

I’d have no problem taking 4 OL in this draft in a scattergun approach to finding players.
                          If we draft "...OL. Early and often." what do you expect to be the end result ? Three new rookie Oline starters. LOL.

We have to be shrewd. The Trenchers do need to worship at their alter though. Me, I want to kick KC's ass and remove that smirk from Patrick's face.
                          You don't know ball

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡