• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

If you want a real 3 headed monster, JJ must stay on the field and the rookie give some yardage.
    At least, EK is a safe bet at the position.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
      If you want a real 3 headed monster, JJ must stay on the field and the rookie give some yardage.
      At least, EK is a safe bet at the position.
      When he played last year he produced big time. He had an awesome 66 yard TD called partially back last year against the Lions. He just needs to stay healthy. I think he will get more opportunities as Gordon is not here and Lynn won’t feel obligated to run him way too much.

Comment

• Avaon Avante
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2020
        • Send PM

Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe, two back sets,

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

When he played last year he produced big time. He had an awesome 66 yard TD called partially back last year against the Lions. He just needs to stay healthy. I think he will get more opportunities as Gordon is not here and Lynn won’t feel obligated to run him way too much.
          yeah if JJ can stay healthy, although there's no real concern yet that he's glass, he can be a pretty darn good back IMO. he seems to have MUCH BETTER vision than mg and the ability to make people miss. Him and Ek were doing pretty well until mg came back and fucked up the chemistry, and then JJ got hurt.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I think it's fair to expect an occasional QB keeper or hand off to Reed, a FB or TE. I think they'll sprinkle in some scripted, less conventional carries. They can work in two ways.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

The strange thing about JJ missing so many games is he was a workhorse at NW. I agree with those that think he could be important to our running attack - he's pretty shifty and has enough speed to break off some long runs.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                The strange thing about JJ missing so many games is he was a workhorse at NW. I agree with those that think he could be important to our running attack - he's pretty shifty and has enough speed to break off some long runs.
                I think a lot of the games he missed have been coaches decision. I know he has been injured as well but quite a bit I have seen him playing special teams and not in the backfield, especially when Gordon came back. JJ has way better vision and running ability than Gordon, I think Gordon has a bit better top speed and that is it. Not sorry to see him go.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post
                  Anyone else excited? I hope Steichen gets really creative. 2 back sets with a healthy mix of RPO's. Hope Ek's workout ethic rubs off on Jackson and Kelly. We should be able to really spread out defenses.

Is it Corona quarantine or something? I am more excited for this season than any other. New Uni's, new stadium, new QB

. :More Q Please:
                  2 back sets aren't much of a thing because NFL defenders don't key RB, they key the blocking. The whole ball handling, multiple options with the 2 RB thing is not really giving defenses anything new to defend (as opposed to a single back RPO game).

Plus if the RB is in the backfield, you aren't spreading the defense out, you are leaving defenders in the box to cover the RB/stuff the run. If you sub out the RB for a WR,with the WR split out then the defense has to split out a defender from the box, who leaves one less player to block. And so many CB are bad tacklers, you may get an advantage in terms of missed tackles as well.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

2 back sets aren't much of a thing because NFL defenders don't key RB, they key the blocking. The whole ball handling, multiple options with the 2 RB thing is not really giving defenses anything new to defend (as opposed to a single back RPO game).

Plus if the RB is in the backfield, you aren't spreading the defense out, you are leaving defenders in the box to cover the RB/stuff the run. If you sub out the RB for a WR,with the WR split out then the defense has to split out a defender from the box, who leaves one less player to block. And so many CB are bad tacklers, you may get an advantage in terms of missed tackles as well.
                    Yes and no. RB's will hold LB's in the box yes. Swing passes or motion them out to the slot for a spread. 2 RB's + 3 WR is a tough proposition for defenses. Wheel routes, bubble screens, rub crosses, and option hooks become more lethal. My point with this thread is that without a bell cow RB we will need to use the 3 RB's in a much bigger role in the passing game. On obvious run situation. Getting 1 of our 3 RB's isolated with a run stuffing LB'er is usually a W for the offense. Lastly, to prevent wear and tear on our RB's I think they will all get their touches this year.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

Yes and no. RB's will hold LB's in the box yes. Swing passes or motion them out to the slot for a spread. 2 RB's + 3 WR is a tough proposition for defenses. Wheel routes, bubble screens, rub crosses, and option hooks become more lethal. My point with this thread is that without a bell cow RB we will need to use the 3 RB's in a much bigger role in the passing game. On obvious run situation. Getting 1 of our 3 RB's isolated with a run stuffing LB'er is usually a W for the offense. Lastly, to prevent wear and tear on our RB's I think they will all get their touches this year.
                      Especially when one of the RB's is a guy like Ekler and can run routes and play like a WR. You can create a lot of mismatches that way, instead of letting the D sub in a cover guy to cover Ekler you can force them to cover him with a LB as you said.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

On the positive: Its a clean slate with the Chargers. All the past tape is worthless. The tendency chart, trash it. Style of play, pace of play, run/pass differential are all unknowns. Opponents will have to adjust on the fly.

The negative: Tyrod Taylor is the QB.
                        sigpic

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                          Perhaps too much of a workhorse. Some were concerned that it would diminish his career as a pro.

Comment

Working...
                          X