Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

Yes and no. RB's will hold LB's in the box yes. Swing passes or motion them out to the slot for a spread. 2 RB's + 3 WR is a tough proposition for defenses. Wheel routes, bubble screens, rub crosses, and option hooks become more lethal. My point with this thread is that without a bell cow RB we will need to use the 3 RB's in a much bigger role in the passing game. On obvious run situation. Getting 1 of our 3 RB's isolated with a run stuffing LB'er is usually a W for the offense. Lastly, to prevent wear and tear on our RB's I think they will all get their touches this year.
    I don't disagree that the 3 RB who need to be active in the offensive gameplan thing. I agree with that completely. The one part of the O with Gordon that worked was when we were able to use him as a receiver, and that did open things up inside. But that had nothing to do with using 2 RB at a time.

If the point of using 2 back personnel groupings is to get LB isolated on RB, I think you are mistaken. Not that it wouldn't be a mismatch, I just don't see defenses falling for it. If the RB are a passing game mismatch, they will stay nickel and/or dime to keep the mismatch from being exploited. And if every time we see the box loaded up with an extra LB, we motion the RB out of the backfield, we are tipping the playcalling. If they know that you don't like the run options when you put 2 RB on the field, and will put them split out, why would you send out LB to match up against them?

The real mistake is that you are suggesting that we take Henry out of the offense in that set, and we are making him one of the highest paid TE in football. He is an effective downfield target, and a key to making a the running game in any shape go. The RB (outside of Ekeler) are the unknowns, so I don't see the sense in taking the proven commodity off the field and using the unproven commodities in the HOPE that they will be more effective.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't disagree that the 3 RB who need to be active in the offensive gameplan thing. I agree with that completely. The one part of the O with Gordon that worked was when we were able to use him as a receiver, and that did open things up inside. But that had nothing to do with using 2 RB at a time.

If the point of using 2 back personnel groupings is to get LB isolated on RB, I think you are mistaken. Not that it wouldn't be a mismatch, I just don't see defenses falling for it. If the RB are a passing game mismatch, they will stay nickel and/or dime to keep the mismatch from being exploited. And if every time we see the box loaded up with an extra LB, we motion the RB out of the backfield, we are tipping the playcalling. If they know that you don't like the run options when you put 2 RB on the field, and will put them split out, why would you send out LB to match up against them?

The real mistake is that you are suggesting that we take Henry out of the offense in that set, and we are making him one of the highest paid TE in football. He is an effective downfield target, and a key to making a the running game in any shape go. The RB (outside of Ekeler) are the unknowns, so I don't see the sense in taking the proven commodity off the field and using the unproven commodities in the HOPE that they will be more effective.
      *in bold* It's not about falling for it. That is exactly my point of this thread. I am excited because they know it's coming.... Ek, JJ, and Kelley. Have the hands, speed and stoutness to live off these types of Isolation plays.. I just feel we could really expose defenses is all. Remember on paper our O-line is much much improved in the rushing dept. If Pouncy can return to form, both Bulaga and Turner are better run blockers then they are pass. Ek and Co. could fest.

*in bold* Motion to the slot with HH? KA, HH, EK, JJ\Kelley, MW :lol:

That is another point. HH is going to draw a lot of attention over the middle. Take what the d gives you right? We haven't even talked about mobility at QB and what that does for a play book.

That's basically the bottom line. Having a mobile QB and no bell cow RB will open up the playbook. Again. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

I don't know how things could get any worse without Gordon running the ball. I think it's kind of a blessing.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
          I don't know how things could get any worse without Gordon running the ball. I think it's kind of a blessing.
          Yep...addition by subtraction...and then we pick up Kelley...I think our RB committee is now complete...

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
            but, but, but...gordon claimed he wasnt being used properly by the bolts. tbh i liked his tough running but DAMN that kid has tunnel vision like race horses, TERRIBLE vision and no ability to make a guy miss. the backfield now has some shiftyness to it.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...addition by subtraction...and then we pick up Kelley...I think our RB committee is now complete...
              Only if JJ stays healthy for most of this season.Fingers crossed.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

but, but, but...gordon claimed he wasnt being used properly by the bolts. tbh i liked his tough running but DAMN that kid has tunnel vision like race horses, TERRIBLE vision and no ability to make a guy miss. the backfield now has some shiftyness to it.
                The only plays that really work for Gordon are:

1. A wide-open hole that your grandma couldn't miss...
                2. Sometimes, a screen or swing pass
                3. Short pass into the flats where he can sometimes get some decent YAC

But for hitting the hole inside the tackles, Gordon was mostly very ineffective...

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Perhaps too much of a workhorse. Some were concerned that it would diminish his career as a pro.
                  Well the good news on that concern about Jackson is that his first two NFL seasons he has barely carried the ball. So almost no new tread lost on the tires.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Well the good news on that concern about Jackson is that his first two NFL seasons he has barely carried the ball. So almost no new tread lost on the tires.

TG
                    Ryan Mathews and Gordon each have about 100 and 200 more carries respectively than Joshua Kelly had in UCLA....he's pretty fresh as well. We've got some fresh rubber...........second thought I need to buy new tires at Discount Tires!!

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                      San Diego Native
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Farmington, NM
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      Ryan Mathews and Gordon each have about 100 and 200 more carries respectively than Joshua Kelly had in UCLA....he's pretty fresh as well. We've got some fresh rubber...........second thought I need to buy new tires at Discount Tires!!
                      Joshua Kelley also played 2 seasons at UC Davis. Between UC Davis & UCLA he carried the ball 647 times in college,

Ryan Mathews only carried the ball 534 times at Fresno and Melvin Gordon 631 times at Wisconsin.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

that's a lot of mileage. hopefully he doesnt break down as fast as michael turner did for the falcons. IIRC MT had a couple of really productive years then went downhill rather quickly.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                          Yep...this is a key year for JJ...where we find out if he can stay healthy...

Comment

Working...
                          X