How Will The Offense Change This Season With Tyrod Taylor?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Aha!
    We had a 3rd year starting QB when he was signed a a backup. But, I see the running similarity.
    I hope our three QB's that run will be more like Mahomes than Douglas!
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I hope our three QB's that run will be more like Mahomes than Douglas!
      Yes please.
      I doubt the QB run will be the called play very often but it's nice to have as a real threat. It impacts how defenses will play us.
      I know how awful it feels to have blanket pass coverage only to watch the QB run for a 1st +.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        If Tony Martin had dropped a certain 43 yard TD pass from Humphries,
        would Stan be in the Chargers HOF ?

One play...both Humphries and Courtney Hall's great play as Chargers was all too brief.

The relevant questions are, why are you presuming that Tyrod cannot play winning football like Stan did ?

And why can't Pouncey help us like Hall did ?
        We can both play the what if game. What if Humphrie's & Hall's careers were not cut short by injuries?
        Hall was a 4 time 1rst alternate to the probowl (HOFer Dermontti Dawson always locked down the center spot).

Winning footbalI means play-off wins. I'm in the wait and see mode with Tyrod Taylor; he has to demonstrate
        that he can do something he never has done before. If he turns out to be clutch in big moments like Humphries....great!

He is after all replacing a Charger legend who was unceremoniously dumped this offseason. I'm not about to
        designate him the next anything right now.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Yes please.
          I doubt the QB run will be the called play very often but it's nice to have as a real threat. It impacts how defenses will play us.
          I know how awful it feels to have blanket pass coverage WITH A GUS SPECIAL PICKET FENCE AROUND THAT BLANKET only to watch the QB run for a 1st +.
          There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There...fixed it for 'ya!
            LOL! Gus definitely shares some blame.
            Regards QB escapes, losing DJ & Phillips were huge. Tranquill showed up but was too little, too late. Not enough by himself.

DJ, Tranquill and Murray are kinda beastly at slamming the door. Can't wait to see them work together.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

We can both play the what if game. What if Humphrie's & Hall's careers were not cut short by injuries?
              Hall was a 4 time 1rst alternate to the probowl (HOFer Dermontti Dawson always locked down the center spot).

Winning footbalI means play-off wins. I'm in the wait and see mode with Tyrod Taylor; he has to demonstrate
              that he can do something he never has done before. If he turns out to be clutch in big moments like Humphries....great!

He is after all replacing a Charger legend who was unceremoniously dumped this offseason. I'm not about to
              designate him the next anything right now.
              Sure. Add the Wild Card of Natrone Means.

Ross vs Beathard was a precursor to AJ vs Marty.

The tone here is clearly one of bashing Tyrod, and piling on in a ridiculous manner, not "wait and see."

I am trying to point out that our Super Bowl season can be repeated.

The quote of the day during that playoff run was "Bobby Beathard's done it again."

It was an unlikely occurrence, coming out of nowhere, yet it fit Beathard's template for winning Super Bowls perfectly.

Predictors of doom, have you no shame ?
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Sure. Add the Wild Card of Natrone Means.

Ross vs Beathard was a precursor to AJ vs Marty.

The tone here is clearly one of bashing Tyrod, and piling on in a ridiculous manner, not "wait and see."

I am trying to point out that our Super Bowl season can be repeated.

The quote of the day during that playoff run was "Bobby Beathard's done it again."

It was an unlikely occurrence, coming out of nowhere, yet it fit Beathard's template for winning Super Bowls perfectly.

Predictors of doom, have you no shame ?
                So, are you saying if our opinion is different than yours we should shut up? That's what it sounds like Wood.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Biggestfan View Post
                  I'm concerned. Tyrod Taylor scares me.
                  In what way?

Tyrod is an efficient game manager type. If you are looking for a guy who makes a limited number of key (big) plays, but isn't going to make any mistakes, he's your guy.

If he has to string big plays together play after play, then not so much.

That is why the OL is so key. We have some playmakers. They will make some big plays if we can control the ball, and just keep putting Tyrod is decent down and distance situations. Especially Ekeler, and Henry, because they can take the shorter passes and give us some chunk plays.

But we can't have the other team's DL blowing up running plays in the 2nd half, and forcing us to throw because the OL can't lock onto the front 7 and give our runners a chance to get 3 yards per play. You can't put Tyrod into 3rd and long a bunch of times every Sunday and think he is going to convert a ton of them. Taylor is going to do his usual checkdown thing for 6-8 yards, or scramble for 8 on 3rd and 12, and not be able to convert. He can do the field position thing, and he can keep the ball moving if it's just 3rd and medium or shorter. But if he is going to be the guy who has to force passes downfield to convert downs, …. it just isn't his thing.

Maybe he can do more of that then he has in the past. He never had a route runner like Allen, or a jump ball receiver like Williams. But he has never shown any signs of it, so it is a bit much to think he is going to suddenly blossom.

It would also help a lot if we had better ST and a more aggressive, blitzing D. Tyrod did a great job in Buffalo keeping their D off the field, so they could still attack the QB and protect leads late. He wins the field position battle for the O, but that only helps if we can win it on ST too, and the D can get the other team off the field so they can't move the ball much. Those are not areas that we have excelled at lately (under AL).

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

So, are you saying if our opinion is different than yours we should shut up? That's what it sounds like Wood.
                    LMAO.

No one is preventing anyone from presenting their opinions,
                    nor am I myself saying "shut up" to anyone who disagrees with me.

As evidence, I very frequently "Like" posts I personally strongly disagree with,
                    with the idea of letting my fellow Charger fans know that I recognize and respect their football takes,
                    and thusly encourage debate.

My takes here re Tyrod are in the context
                    of this discussion of our new offense.

I am optimistic, and post infrequently.
                    Others are pessimistic, and post ad nauseam.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

~~~~~
                      It would also help a lot if we had better ST and a more aggressive, blitzing D. Tyrod did a great job in Buffalo keeping their D off the field, so they could still attack the QB and protect leads late. He wins the field position battle for the O, but that only helps if we can win it on ST too, and the D can get the other team off the field so they can't move the ball much. Those are not areas that we have excelled at lately (under AL).
                      Totally agree about defense, field position and ST play. I think that will be addressed if I'm reading the FA/ draft tea leaves correctly. Guys like Darius Jennings, Nick Vigil, Joe Reed and Alohi Gilman should have an impact on STs.
                      Defense should get a boost with Joseph, healthy, better trained Tillery, James and Murray. We played D with a ripped net. We need to attack w/ the DEs, take occasional opportunity shots with the rest of the D. Looks like our D speed at S & LB will be noticeably improved.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I was really surprised we didn't fire Gus Bradley after last year. The D we have under him is the Seattle, bend but don't break, rush 4, drop 7, play zone and don't blitz much. That works best with an O with an established QB who can throw downfield and can get yards in chunks. It gives up some yardage, but it can get it back. More forgiving because you have help in the secondary to help in mismatches.

The defense that compliments a more run oriented O is a more blitz oriented that attacks and gets the ball back fast. Control the clock to keep the D off the field, then get it back right away. Pressure coverage that can clamp down on short passes and can allow the pass rush to really get after QB with less threat of short dink and dunk passing that can throw before the pass rush can get to the QB. Don't give the offense opportunities one after another or they will eventually exploit a weakness.

The retooling on ST seems more like a wash to me. We lost some good ST guy (Watt, Phillips). That was more about staying cheap. We did add options for return guys than we have had in the past. The past 2 seasons, we seem to have found young players who were outstanding in preseason, who then stopped doing what they had to win the job initially.

D is faster mostly due to getting rid of Thomas and adding Murray. We always had speed because of our dime package (when we could play it).

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Gus was given some slack last year due to player inconsistency, absence due to injury , among other things. I guess.
                          Bosa & Ingram were basically IT for our front 7 until Drue became more of a fixture. Geez, I wanted to see B & I rush all-out. I had the impression that they were a step slow due to a lack of confidence in our DTs & LBs.
                          Joseph is a big plus there. Tillery should be.
                          James was out most of the season, was not 100% when he played. He adds speed & a lot more over last year's D. Major plus.
                          Adderley should be a plus factor.

Gus is coaching defense, Stewart STs on Lynn's team. AL has to make clear how the game is going to be played. As a player on some quality offenses and special teams prior to coaching, he should be fully aware of how O, D and STs must play complementary ball.
                          IMO the ball is in Anthony's court.

Comment

Working...
                          X