How Will The Offense Change This Season With Tyrod Taylor?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Taylor can take care of a part of the running game.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He no he didn't because Taylor can not do in the passing game what Rivers can. Tyrod can not carry this team with no running game.
      Rivers had seasons where he had WRs they signed off the street with Washington and Alexander(to name a couple) and still made them productive when they weren't elsewhere. Inman looked good here with over 800 years in a season when he can't stick anywhere else.

Of course a running game will always help Philip but when we didn't have one, it was on him and he did well when he had a decent OL. When he didn't,.. Well he isn't superman.
      Rivers best years with the Chargers were with LT. Any QB is better with a strong running game.
      PR posted a lot of passing yds. Tyrod ain't PR. But .. he is way more mobile and can execute plays PR could not both passing and running.

Ya gotta be avg or better everywhere with some elite players to put us over the top.
      We might be there but it remains to be proven.
      I know we are elite at WR, DE, SS.
      Very good at TE, RB, C, RG, RT, NT, MLB, WLB, FS, CB.
      The balance need to be avg or better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Rivers best years with the Chargers were with LT. Any QB is better with a strong running game.
        PR posted a lot of passing yds. Tyrod ain't PR. But .. he is way more mobile and can execute plays PR could not both passing and running.

Ya gotta be avg or better everywhere with some elite players to put us over the top.
        We might be there but it remains to be proven.
        I know we are elite at WR, DE, SS.
        Very good at TE, RB, C, RG, RT, NT, MLB, WLB, FS, CB.
        The balance need to be avg or better.
        False. LT left after 2009. He had 4 seasons as a starter with LT and the last, LT was a shell of himself.

The second bolded, you are correct.

Bolded possitions...we are Very good at WR i agree...til One of Keenan and MW go down. Then we dont know what we have with 2 rookies.
        RB we are very good at RB? Hey i really like Ekeler but he isnt a every down RB, the Rook is unproven and Jackson who i like was injured often.
        C.....Pouncey has seen better days, i think he is average now.
        TE..agree, as long as Henry is healthy. Not healthy, average at best.

And this is my point. Rivers had so many players go down, he had to carry the team and did when he had a decent OL. Didn't always have a decent OL.

Agree Tyrod will run plays PR couldnt but on third and long, i sure feel a lot better with Rivers back there than Tyrod.

11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Sure, Rivers is not Superman.
          With an ugly OL and no running game.
          Rivers made some 3rd and long.
          But I think a good Oline and a mobile QB will be more effective.
          Someone have stats about Rivers on 3rd and long ?

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

well last year on 3rd and longs you coulda counted on rivers to "throw a long punt" as many called it. I never agreed to tossing an int on 3rd down even if it was a deep int. heck if you complete something on 3rd to make some yards you have another chance to get a first. Never understood that mentality but then again I've got horse blinders on. maybe he was afraid that our STs were so poor that they'd get their punt blocked? or coverage couldnt cover and the returner would have a big return? ehhhh...play with what you're suppose to play with...not try to do for other parts of the team. but like I said before...I've got horse blinders on!
            And I dont really agree with hunter henry being very good. he's been good IMO. didnt the FT him this year? maybe did that cuz they really dont believe in him, either?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Franchise tag is not a negative thing.
              Specially with TE.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

False. LT left after 2009. He had 4 seasons as a starter with LT and the last, LT was a shell of himself.

The second bolded, you are correct.

Bolded possitions...we are Very good at WR i agree...til One of Keenan and MW go down. Then we dont know what we have with 2 rookies.
                RB we are very good at RB? Hey i really like Ekeler but he isnt a every down RB, the Rook is unproven and Jackson who i like was injured often.
                C.....Pouncey has seen better days, i think he is average now.
                TE..agree, as long as Henry is healthy. Not healthy, average at best.

And this is my point. Rivers had so many players go down, he had to carry the team and did when he had a decent OL. Didn't always have a decent OL.

Agree Tyrod will run plays PR couldnt but on third and long, i sure feel a lot better with Rivers back there than Tyrod.
                You are correct @ LT.
                I should have said the Chargers had 3 of their 4 best seasons with Rivers at QB when LT was a Charger.
                '06 14-2
                '07 11-5
                '09 13-3
                '18 12-4

I like Rivers also but LAC needed to move on sooner or later. With PR's contract up and pick #6 on hand? Seemed right. I don't believe Tyrod is a better QB, do believe he's good enough during the Rivers to Herbert transition.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  Franchise tag is not a negative thing.
                  Specially with TE.
                  I think many players would argue against that. why do so many players not want to sign their FT offers? cuz they want long-term stability and the guarantees with a longer contract, especially the bonuses. I meant the FT on henry was more for the team to see if he can produce at a high level the whole season and not miss time due to bustin an acl on a walkthru. if they really believed in him they probably would've given him a longer term contract. I used to think he was really good but Travis Kelce, as much as I hate him, runs circles around Hunter.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

At the moment, the average of the 5 best paid TE was very low.
                    Henry is a deal.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                      I think many players would argue against that. why do so many players not want to sign their FT offers? cuz they want long-term stability and the guarantees with a longer contract, especially the bonuses. I meant the FT on henry was more for the team to see if he can produce at a high level the whole season and not miss time due to bustin an acl on a walkthru. if they really believed in him they probably would've given him a longer term contract. I used to think he was really good but Travis Kelce, as much as I hate him, runs circles around Hunter.
                      Kelce gets split out into space a lot more than Henry does. That gets him isolated 1 on 1 a whole lot more than Henry does. It helps that Henry is a much better blocker and doesn't commit as many penalties as Kelce does. But because of the alignment thing and the all the injuries Henry has had, the difference between the two is not as large as the stats would indicate. Kelce is better, but not by a huge amount.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Pro Football Focus thinks Tyrod Taylor might be pretty good in the Bolts' offense. They put his one year debacle in Cleveland aside, and look at his three years in Buffo. Based on that, they believe he can be more successful as the Chargers' QB than most people think. This is what I have been saying. Damn it, though. I wish I could get excited for this season, but I honestly don't believe there is going to be a season, so to me any predictions about what is going to happen in 2020 is hypothetical.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarter...s-offense-2020

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                          Pretty much retired......
                          • Sep 2018
                          • JoJa
                          • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                          • Send PM

I think Tyrod will do just fine. Average quarterbacks have won a lot of games with good offenses and really good defenses. We fit that bill I believe..........

Comment

Working...
                          X