How Will The Offense Change This Season With Tyrod Taylor?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

How Will The Offense Change This Season With Tyrod Taylor?

Tyrod Taylor is not known for anything like what Rivers had with his receivers over the years. This team will see a change. No more Rivers to Allen. No more Rivers to Williams.
    Get ready people, for either a genius coach who can make do without that past production, adjust it... turn it around, invent another one and make this team other than a 5-11 season team.

I'll now hear the arguments for or against such a scenario outcome. Anyone not predicting Lynn may be on the hot seat next year? You just lost your biggest offensive threat. Tyrod Taylor a threat? Only if Lynn re-invents the Chargers offense. Aren't you all sorta secretly glad when I give you the cold hard truth?

There are some predicting we get the number one pick in next years draft, or close to it.

Defense last year? # 6. Not bad, Offense overall without Rivers this season? 20th. You guess. Who sees otherwise? Expand on that for us, if you will,for me.
    No optimistic fan boy replies are valid.

Tyrod Taylor at QB. Genius HC Lynn making it happen... in another parallel universe.
    Last edited by Caslon; 05-25-2020, 02:46 AM.
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Reply to myself...The Chargers had it good with rookie Rivers on the sideline for two years learning behind Brees. Such situations just don't happen in today's NFL.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
      Tyrod Taylor is not known for anything like what Rivers had with his receivers over the years. This team will see a change. No more Rivers to Allen. No more Rivers to Williams.
      Get ready people, for either a genius coach who can make do without that past production, adjust it... turn it around, invent another one and make this team other than a 5-11 season team.

I'll now hear the arguments for or against such a scenario outcome. Anyone not predicting Lynn may be on the hot seat next year? You just lost your biggest offensive threat. Tyrod Taylor a threat? Only if Lynn re-invents the Chargers offense. Aren't you all sorta secretly glad when I give you the cold hard truth?

There are some predicting we get the number one pick in next years draft, or close to it.

Defense last year? # 6. Not bad, Offense overall without Rivers this season? 20th. You guess. Who sees otherwise? Expand on that for us, if you will,for me.

Tyrod Taylor at QB. Genius HC Lynn making it happen... in another parallel universe.
      More BS pundit talk. I dont expect a playoff team but i certainly dont expect us to have the worst record either. Amazing how some men and women get paid well to talk out their ass.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Rivers was an equal opportunity QB in his old age. Throw a TD for LAC, throw one for the other guys.
        I like conservative football. Move the chains, put up some points. Hold the other guys 3 & out, start with great field position, score again, repeat. Screw the opponent.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Warner expects Taylor to continue to be conservative. Goes over some of the things he does well and what we may see.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

All true hard reality...... Taylor will only generate enough offense to beat a completely inept offense that cannot score points....... once Taylor is starting, people will see how much Rivers' quick decisions, quick release and amazingly consistent accuracy has historically made our average skill players look way better then they actually are..... Only LT and Gates were elite skill players..... we have had many good ones who Rivewrs made people think were great.....

Unfortunately people have also way over rated the Charger defense last year........ Because Lynn always has the team milk(waste) all 45 seconds of every play, the total scoring and total yardage given up are much lower than they could have been..... last year pretty much any time, any team really needed to score they were able to do it and beat the Chargers. Teams could also run almost at will which wore down our defense but also used up the3 clock, also keeping yardage and scoring totals down...... even bad teams like raiders, broncos, MIA, etc..... scored whenever they needed to against the Chargers defense.....

Good news is that our defense might finally take a big step forward with the solid FA additions, and drafting our first dominating every down run stuffing and blitzing LBer since Seau...... with those additions I sincerely hope we can stuff the run like we did years ago when we went to SB..... if you cannot stop the run, you cant beat anyone...... and end up drafting top 5-ish......

Here's to hoping that Hebert exceeds all expectations and plays well enough in camp and pre season that he starts week one or at least by week 4..... in todays NFL with rules that make it nearly impossible to play pass defense, in order to win consistently, we need to score +/-30 or more points per game...... and Taylor cannot do that.....

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
              Rivers was an equal opportunity QB in his old age. Throw a TD for LAC, throw one for the other guys.
              I like conservative football. Move the chains, put up some points. Hold the other guys 3 & out, start with great field position, score again, repeat. Screw the opponent.
              That old school method used to work many many years ago when defenses were allowed to hit, tackle and abuse receivers and QB's...... rules do not allow shut out dominating defense anymore...... the BEST defense in NFL which had 5 first round draft choices on their DL, could not hold the chiefs under 31 points.......... 49ers lost bec cause they could not score more point than that.... their defense played as well as it legally could have.......

conservative football does not win championships...... conservative football usually beats really bad teams but consistently loses to the good or great teams........

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

That old school method used to work many many years ago when defenses were allowed to hit, tackle and abuse receivers and QB's...... rules do not allow shut out dominating defense anymore...... the BEST defense in NFL which had 5 first round draft choices on their DL, could not hold the chiefs under 31 points.......... 49ers lost bec cause they could not score more point than that.... their defense played as well as it legally could have.......

conservative football does not win championships...... conservative football usually beats really bad teams but consistently loses to the good or great teams........
                Agreed. Defense used to win championships. The rules simply no longer allow it. The league wants higher scoring games for ratings/excitement. Feels more like college style going forward.

You can only stop teams defensively for so long with the current rules.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

All true hard reality...... Taylor will only generate enough offense to beat a completely inept offense that cannot score points....... once Taylor is starting, people will see how much Rivers' quick decisions, quick release and amazingly consistent accuracy has historically made our average skill players look way better then they actually are..... Only LT and Gates were elite skill players..... we have had many good ones who Rivewrs made people think were great.....

Unfortunately people have also way over rated the Charger defense last year........ Because Lynn always has the team milk(waste) all 45 seconds of every play, the total scoring and total yardage given up are much lower than they could have been..... last year pretty much any time, any team really needed to score they were able to do it and beat the Chargers. Teams could also run almost at will which wore down our defense but also used up the3 clock, also keeping yardage and scoring totals down...... even bad teams like raiders, broncos, MIA, etc..... scored whenever they needed to against the Chargers defense.....

Good news is that our defense might finally take a big step forward with the solid FA additions, and drafting our first dominating every down run stuffing and blitzing LBer since Seau...... with those additions I sincerely hope we can stuff the run like we did years ago when we went to SB..... if you cannot stop the run, you cant beat anyone...... and end up drafting top 5-ish......

Here's to hoping that Hebert exceeds all expectations and plays well enough in camp and pre season that he starts week one or at least by week 4..... in todays NFL with rules that make it nearly impossible to play pass defense, in order to win consistently, we need to score +/-30 or more points per game...... and Taylor cannot do that.....
                  Teams have tape on Tyrod. Opponents defense will force us to beat them with him. Take away the part on offense a team is better at, in our case the running game. They'll key in on Taylor's weaknesses.

All the good defense in the world means nothing if the offense doesn't generate enough points. When the offense doesn't score much points, it deflates the morale of the defense.

Comment

• PR#1
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

The offense will move to a run first "3 yards and a cloud of dust" type of offense.

Lynn wanted a run first offense and now he has it.

He will get full credit or blame depending on the outcome.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It’ll suck cuz no Brees and no Rivers. Easy.

Comment

• SK21209
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2020
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Agreed. Defense used to win championships. The rules simply no longer allow it. The league wants higher scoring games for ratings/excitement. Feels more like college style going forward.

You can only stop teams defensively for so long with the current rules.
                        I agree that "conservative" offenses can't succeed anymore (just watch the Seahawks run up the middle and suck for three quarters and then ask Wilson to improvise in the fourth) but I don't think the rest is true; the Niners blew this past Superbowl as much as the Chiefs won it and they're a running, defensive team. The Super Bowl winners before that are the Pats (40 year old Brady at QB, scored 13 points), Eagles (Nick Foles at QB but still a good offense), Pats, Broncos (washed up Manning with dominant defense), Pats, and Seahawks (young Wilson and dominant defense).

I'm confident we can have an elite defense; if Joseph, Jones and Tillery can finally shore up our interior defensive line Ingram and Bosa can be the terror we've expected them to be against the best competition. Tyrod obviously isn't good enough to take us beyond the wild card round or a loss in the divisional round at best, but if Herbert can be pretty good this year or next I genuinely believe there's a version of this team that is a serious contender.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍