• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

NFL Rules Changes: On Side Kick rule retained, 3 IR Designations and More

The league did not vote as expected Thursday on a proposed rule change to provide an alternative to the onside kick.
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Jubei i moved this to the main forum. Its slow anyways. And this is a good topic.

Comment

• cmplxgal
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • New Jersey
      • Send PM

Good. Very glad the 4th and 15 thing did not go through. And pleased that the number of players who can return from IR has grown from zero to one to two and now to three.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

Behind two scores with 2 minutes to play, what are the chances to win

1- with the onside kick
        2 - with the 4th and 15 rule ?

That is the question

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

"Expanded defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but who has not had time to avoid or ward off the impending contact of an opponent."

Sounds like the old "Halo" rule, without defining it as the "Halo" rule. This wording sounds a bit vague, I wonder how they will actually word/enforce it.

No sky judges. Eh, I'm on the fence with this one. Sometimes I think it would really help, but I don't want to slow the game down with constant booth to field communications. Its bad enough when the zebras huddle up on the field to discuss crap, only to have off-setting penalties announced.
          sigpic

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Disappointed.
            wanted to see 4th and 15
            especially with Herbert’s big arm
            instead of a shot in the dark onside kick
            Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• WindsorUK
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Windsor, U.K.
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
              Behind two scores with 2 minutes to play, what are the chances to win

1- with the onside kick
              2 - with the 4th and 15 rule ?

That is the question
              Certainly would have made the phrase " Gotta play a full 60 " a lot more meaningful

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                "Expanded defenseless player protection to a kickoff or punt returner who is in possession of the ball but who has not had time to avoid or ward off the impending contact of an opponent."

Sounds like the old "Halo" rule, without defining it as the "Halo" rule. This wording sounds a bit vague, I wonder how they will actually word/enforce it.

No sky judges. Eh, I'm on the fence with this one. Sometimes I think it would really help, but I don't want to slow the game down with constant booth to field communications. Its bad enough when the zebras huddle up on the field to discuss crap, only to have off-setting penalties announced.
                I can picture gunners closing in alongside a returner, pulling up as to not commit a penalty, just to have the returner take off up the field for big yards. Not sure I like that( especially with Stewart as our coach)

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

I can picture gunners closing in alongside a returner, pulling up as to not commit a penalty, just to have the returner take off up the field for big yards. Not sure I like that( especially with Stewart as our coach)
                  I especially hate this one myself. Special teams are gonna be the bane of many a team now cuz they cant level a returner who doesnt fair catch. why even call for a fair catch anymore when you know you're not gonna get hit until you've made a move? and if you do get hit it's a penalty on the kicking team. This is SOOOO stupid!
                  I do like the expanded IR list, bummed with the 4th and 15 option. But you KNOW with that option that KC will go for it everytime.

Comment

• SK21209
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2020
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Having watched this team give up a 4th and 29 to Flacco and Ray Rice, I was not in favor of that change. Just put the old kickoff and onside kick rules back in place.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Why not have two players on kickoff that can be mobile or in motion? Certsinly overload the line a little but not insane and at the same time make kickoffs with onside kicks more daring and challenging. So maybe you have 4 guys on each side of the kicker and two behind that can decide which side of the field to overload. :2cents:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I especially hate this one myself. Special teams are gonna be the bane of many a team now cuz they cant level a returner who doesnt fair catch. why even call for a fair catch anymore when you know you're not gonna get hit until you've made a move? and if you do get hit it's a penalty on the kicking team. This is SOOOO stupid!
                        I do like the expanded IR list, bummed with the 4th and 15 option. But you KNOW with that option that KC will go for it everytime.
                        Agree - if you are worried about getting nailed, call for a fair catch. Think what this does for a returner like Hill. But the NFL loves big scores so I"m not really surprised.

Comment

Working...
                        X