• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BearWithJetpack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Horribly shocking news for someone so young. May Max rest in peace. Prayers for his family to find peace of their own.

Never something you expect to read. Just terrible.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

RIP
      best wishes to the family
      Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Send PM

damn. 26? What a shock for the family. A football player dies while hiking. Sucks!

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
          damn. 26? What a shock for the family. A football player dies while hiking. Sucks!
          I live near the foothills, and we hear of any number of deaths or injuries related to hiking. Many problems happen when people are hiking near a river at peak runoff, which is right now. Some people try to cross the river or even a deep, fast-moving creek, slip on a rock, fall into the freezing water, then die of hypothermia, drowning or other causes. Some people jump into a river and are swept under low-hanging brush, get tangled up and can't escape. The Kern River is one of the worst for this type of scenario. Some people also get lost and disorientated, so it's always wise to go hiking with a buddy. So sorry to hear of this--prayers for his family...

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

That makes sense. I don't know what it is about people underrating the power of water. I guess it looks so refreshing and inviting...especially if you've been hiking. Thank you Topcat. Very informative!

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
              That makes sense. I don't know what it is about people underrating the power of water. I guess it looks so refreshing and inviting...especially if you've been hiking. Thank you Topcat. Very informative!
              When it's over 100 degrees in the foothills (not the high country over 6,000 feet and cooler), a lot of people see that water in the river and it looks so inviting...what some of them don't realize is that it's freezing cold--recent snow runoff. And once you hit the water it shocks your system, and doesn't take long for your arms and legs to go numb. Now, if it's lake water in late July, August or September, after it's had a chance to warm up over weeks of 100-degree weather--that water is generally swimmable.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                • Feb 2019
                • Midwest
                • Local 150 operating engineer.
                • Send PM

Either way, it's damn sad. Way too young.

Comment

• TheNose
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2020
                  • Send PM

Weird they didn't disclose the death, I wonder if it was suicide or a muffed instagram attempt

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                    Paywalled from reading the LA Times article, but here's another one:

LOS ANGELES — Max Tuerk, an All-America offensive lineman at Southern California who was drafted by the Chargers, has died. He was 26. Tuerk’s family said he died Saturday while hiking with h…

"Tuerk’s family said he died Saturday while hiking with his parents on a favorite trail in Cleveland National Forest north of San Diego. No details were provided."

Damn.
                    If you go into your settings and clear your browsing history, you'll be able to access the articles in the LA Times or SDUT.
                    You just have to continue to do that to get access.
                    On to Tuerk...... unbelievably sad. Far too young.
                    RIP

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      If you go into your settings and clear your browsing history, you'll be able to access the articles in the LA Times or SDUT.
                      You just have to continue to do that to get access.
                      Thanks. I do that every so often but didn't feel like doing it then, only because I also lose my logged-in status at various sites.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Thanks. I do that every so often but didn't feel like doing it then, only because I also lose my logged-in status at various sites.
                        You're welcome.
                        Where in NJ are you? I've spent a great deal of time in Morristown over the past 10 years or so.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I live near the foothills, and we hear of any number of deaths or injuries related to hiking. Many problems happen when people are hiking near a river at peak runoff, which is right now. Some people try to cross the river or even a deep, fast-moving creek, slip on a rock, fall into the freezing water, then die of hypothermia, drowning or other causes. Some people jump into a river and are swept under low-hanging brush, get tangled up and can't escape. The Kern River is one of the worst for this type of scenario. Some people also get lost and disorientated, so it's always wise to go hiking with a buddy. So sorry to hear of this--prayers for his family...
                          In the area where this happened, Cleveland National forest, there aren't any rivers: small creeks at best. You are getting very little runoff from melted snow packs like in the Sierra Nevadas.

Its reported that he "collapsed" on the trail. Most likely from heat stroke or a heart attack triggered by heat stroke. Those trails this time of the year can get really hot, & the smaller surface area vs body mass makes big guys more vulnerable to getting overheated. Young guys sometimes tend to push things too much.

Comment

Working...
                          X