• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Michael Davis: The Bolts' Most Underrated Player

A lot of people on this forum have been beating up on Michael Davis, but when you compare his stats to Casey Hayward, they're very similar. Davis showed up in a story on the most underrated players on each team:

davis.JPG
    In the NFL, players are underrated for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes, they’re second banana to a superstar whose deeds take up all the oxygen. Other times, it may be that the player has to …

• dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

I agree with you. He’s got skills
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

He's had a few bad whiffs while pass defending that really stick out because they were crucial downs but he's close, well worth the investment for his development.
      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

He has gotten better every season from a not so good rookie season. The one that stood out as not doing very well was Facyson.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

yeah I heard lotsa brewings about him suckin this and that. but from watching him he doesnt look bad. plus he has speed to keep up with the speedier WRs. i think everyone just remembers the calls when he doesnt turn his head around. and if it were some other well known DBs the calls probably wouldnt have been made against him.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

He played at BYU. Ugh. I cheer for him as a Charger...but damn it's tough sometimes!
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              He's had a few bad whiffs while pass defending that really stick out because they were crucial downs but he's close, well worth the investment for his development.
              agree with that..... he is usually really close....... sometimes turns around too late or the wrong way.... and because of the talent of others in secondary, he is usually targeted when teams really need a completion......

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

he's probably the only one who can turn and run with WRs. Casey I believe is more of a good zone coverage guy, a good one, but he is on the decline now. gonna have to develop or draft his replacement soon.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

The guy is just not very good. No ceiling left and he's a 3rd/4th corner on good teams. Comparing him to Hayward is misleading- dude's been in decline 2 seasons now and people acting like he's a shut down corner in his prime.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The speed thing can be overrated. Chris Dishman was the best press coverage player in the NFL for years, and there were not many guys he could keep up with. But he used to knock guys off their routes so badly they could never get back on their marks. Ronde Barber ran a 4.7 or 4.8 40 time back in his day. But most players cannot get away with the lack of speed, and need some recovery speed, even if they are covered up in a zone. But guys with good technique and route recognition can get by without it.

Michael Davis plays well at times. The mark of a great player (at any position) is the ability to play at a high level ALL the time. That is the stage he is at. He has to raise the level of consistency this season, or he will stay a guy with speed who makes too many mistakes. He spends too much of his time playing catchup, and needs to do a better job of reading the play and the release so he is one step ahead of the WR.

Hayward mostly gets exposed on second moves from speed guys, which is a real problem vs KC. He is still a very good player, but those days are coming to an end. However, next to James, he is still one of the best defenders on the team, even if he is not playing at the same level he used to. He needs to rebound and play back to his old level, which will partially depend on the pass rush stepping back to the level they played at 2 years ago (or better).

The big thing we need to do to get the pass defense back up to the level they played a few seasons ago is to get the pass rush back to where it was. Inside rush prevents the QB from stepping up, or even flushes the QB out of the pocket into the edge rushers. If either the edge rushers are missing or the inside rush is missing, the rush falls apart, and the coverage can't hold up forever.

Same thing goes with the dynamic between the pass rush and the pass coverage. Make the coverage hold up too long, they sit back on their heels, so they can't break on the ball. If they are back on their heels and not jumping routes, then the offense can get rid of the pass on time, and the rush cannot get to the QB.

It's like either coverage or rush is more essential than the other. Both are a necessity.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post
                      The guy is just not very good. No ceiling left and he's a 3rd/4th corner on good teams. Comparing him to Hayward is misleading- dude's been in decline 2 seasons now and people acting like he's a shut down corner in his prime.
                      Dude...you have been away for some time am i right? lol

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Dude...you have been away for some time am i right? lol
                        Correct. Some things never change tho... :coffee:
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer: