• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classic
    Hall Of Fame
    • Dec 2014
    • Send PM

Hunter Henry Not Expecting Extension Before Deadline

Talks between the Chargers and Henry aren't looking so good.

• jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

I mentioned this in another thread...I believe the FT is more a prove-it deal. but at this point in his career he is not top 5 TE imho.

Comment

• BoltBacker
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Las Vegas, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
      I mentioned this in another thread...I believe the FT is more a prove-it deal. but at this point in his career he is not top 5 TE imho.
      If not top 5 he is easy top ten. Don't understand not locking him up when next year we will have many free agents to deal with.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post

If not top 5 he is easy top ten. Don't understand not locking him up when next year we will have many free agents to deal with.
        I agree he's top 10. but FT just sounds like they want him to prove he can produce and stay healthy...or they really dont want him long term. I'd love to have a dependable TE to take the seams and open up LBers for the running game.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

If he does prove it he will cost a lot more to secure. i would extend him now, personally. We have literally zero other notable TEs.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            If he does prove it he will cost a lot more to secure. i would extend him now, personally. We have literally zero other notable TEs.
            That's exacly my vision of the situation.
            At mid-season, if he is healthy and valuable, extend him.
            In 2021, the FT will be available and very useful.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

I know we have a lot of defensive guys to pay soon but I really hope we set Herbert up like no other qb we’ve had before.
              weapons and oline
              Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Some of it will depend on whether or not we really let Henry lose as an offensive weapon. In his career with the Chargers so far, he has been used mostly as an inline TE. End of the LOS, with his hand down in the dirt, having to get past SAM Lb and SS chucking him at the line. It would be nice to see him split out more now, to see if he can really create mismatch problems, although that puts more pressure on the OL (a TE aligning on the end of the line limits the edge rusher on that side rush lanes, allowing the OT to have fewer angles to play).

If we split Henry out, then we might need to find another TE to play inline more. Green can do it, and he is an OK receiver, but he will never be a real weapon in the passing game, because he is a vanilla route runner and you have to scheme him open on everything.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Some of it will depend on whether or not we really let Henry lose as an offensive weapon. In his career with the Chargers so far, he has been used mostly as an inline TE. End of the LOS, with his hand down in the dirt, having to get past SAM Lb and SS chucking him at the line. It would be nice to see him split out more now, to see if he can really create mismatch problems, although that puts more pressure on the OL (a TE aligning on the end of the line limits the edge rusher on that side rush lanes, allowing the OT to have fewer angles to play).

If we split Henry out, then we might need to find another TE to play inline more. Green can do it, and he is an OK receiver, but he will never be a real weapon in the passing game, because he is a vanilla route runner and you have to scheme him open on everything.
                  Green scares me with the way he handles the ball after catch. It looks like it's held too loosely and far from his body. I remember the fumble he had last season on his TWO catches for the year. I was screaming at the TV to tuck the ball away and not try to get another 6 inches...and then the defender's eyes got wide opened seeing the ball just dangling there.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

Green scares me with the way he handles the ball after catch. It looks like it's held too loosely and far from his body. I remember the fumble he had last season on his TWO catches for the year. I was screaming at the TV to tuck the ball away and not try to get another 6 inches...and then the defender's eyes got wide opened seeing the ball just dangling there.
                    Green is no answer to any weapon question.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think Henry will really shine because Taylor will need him more than Rivers did.

As always, we have no idea why the long term deal has not worked out yet. Perhaps the Chargers offered a good deal but it had a lot of injury related clawbacks. I could see that and I could also see why Henry's agent would not like it. I doubt it is a 'prove it' issue. And also, Chargers seem to be pretty cautious on contracts with the uncertainty of Covid. If you 'lock up' Henry for 4 years but one of them there is no football, you lose out.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

To me the guy just doesn't seem like he was born blessed with genes of durability. Fragile...handle with care.

Comment

Working...
                        X