How Much Does Better (or Appropriate) Coaching Affect Player Potential?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Ready to play or high potentiel ?
    P. Mahomes or D. Brees ?
    Each season, it's very difficult to get the right choice.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Comparisons to Leaf are absurd, other than they both played QB. Leaf was a bipolar troubled kid who skated on talent with the help of enablers his entire life, until he eventually crashed and burned and devolved into addiction and prison. Herbert is a model student, model athlete, model citizen. A truly good guy.

no, make that a great guy. Yeah.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Phil Simms said that Ryan Leaf was "starting to get it", and that his final injury (with the Cowboys) was unfortunate. Leaf's problem was immaturity & work ethic.
        On the Chargers, it seemed like he really tried near the end, but his attitude so soured him with his teammates by that time, that they all wanted him to fail.

Bill Walsh thought Leaf's footwork was bad coming out.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
          Nobody is comparing Herbert to Leaf. Nobody's comparing him to Dan Fouts neither.
          Just wait and see. Maybe a R. Wilson or a D. Brees ?
          Gees, I was just going to compare him to Dan Fouts - I better not now! :woot:
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

If it looks like a Duck, throws like a Duck?

Maybe?
            I remember Dan most for being a fighter & a leader but it took Coryell to put him in Canton.
            Steichen is a wild card untill we see this O with Herbert on the field.

Comment

• boltguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The most obvious comp to me is Josh Allen. Tall, lean, big arm, accuracy/anticipation issues.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I am not so worried about his issues, ... provided we bring him along slowly.

When they put him under center, and his footwork helped to pace his throws, he showed that he had a lot of accuracy and very good timing. He just hasn't done much of that because of the college spread silliness.

We just need to get him under our center, and ask him to do it over and over and over again. And when he looks good doing it in practice, keep drilling him at it. That was why so many of the West Coast (system) QB were so accurate, because they had good footwork. even good shotgun QB have to have good footwork. He just needs to do it until he reworks the nerves and sequences to make that the new normal for him (muscle memory). It takes time, but if you do it right, it will ALWAYS serve him well.

Comment

Working...
                X