• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I've read a lot of reasons for today's loss

The trenches, Butler, secondary, injuries, etc.

But none of the compare IMO to this one: We just didn't show up. We didn't look like a team that wanted to play much less win. We mailed it in. That's inexcusable.
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post

But none of the compare IMO to this one: We just didn't show up. We didn't look like a team that wanted to play much less win. We mailed it in. That's inexcusable.
    So who said said? McCoy, Rivers, Weddle?
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

10 days to prepare obviously not enough.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
        So who said said? McCoy, Rivers, Weddle?
        Im sorry, I dont know what that means.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

If the refs hadn't reversed the KR fumble against the Donkeys, the complexion* of this game would have been very different.

*Choosing a different SPF might also have been a factor.
          Adipose

Comment

• MakoShark
            Disgruntled
            • Jun 2013
            • North Alabama
            • Send PM

Is Rivers reading his own press clippings? It seems right after he started getting attention for his hot start, (1st quarter of the season MVP, season MVP talk and so on) things went south. Whats with all the deep jump balls?
            sigpic

Comment

• Chargerville
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
              Is Rivers reading his own press clippings? It seems right after he started getting attention for his hot start, (1st quarter of the season MVP, season MVP talk and so on) things went south. Whats with all the deep jump balls?

I noticed this too. I'm sitting there on the sofa saying, just drive and ball control for crying out loud.

The Chargers had 1 and 10 at the Chiefs 33 yard line with 3 minutes to go, and Rivers attempts a bomb on second down (which put us in third and long) ... and we were down 35-21 to the Broncos, with the ball at their 45 yard line with 6:00 minutes to go ... could have drove and made it interesting but River's again, attempts a deep pass and is intercepted.

My problem with that drive in the Chiefs game was that, you knew our defense weren't stopping their offense, so you had to know that the best course of action would be, drive, eat up clock, and score (TD or Field goal) with not that much time remaining. Makes no sense to try and score quickly. We were down 17-20 and had a 1-10 at the Chiefs 33, with only a little over 3 minutes remaining, you freaking dink and dunk, drive and try to win while also playing keep away.

We talk about game managers or what have you, but sometimes I feel like Philip Rivers has the gun slinging thing down, but the managing the game thing, needs a lot of work. I feel like he's pretty good at managing in lopsided score situations, or when the Chargers jump out to a nice lead, but in dog fights against good teams, or when they fall behind against good teams, I worry!

... And of course it doesn't help when you can't run the ball and stop anybody.
              Last edited by Chargerville; 11-03-2014, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post
                I noticed this too. I'm sitting there on the sofa saying, just drive and ball control for crying out loud.

The Chargers had 1 and 10 at the Chiefs 33 yard line with 3 minutes to go, and Rivers attempts a bomb on second down (which put us in third and long) ... and we were down 35-21 to the Broncos, with the ball at their 45 yard line with 6:00 minutes to go ... could have drove and made it interesting but River's again, attempts a deep pass and is intercepted.

My problem with that drive in the Chiefs game was that, you knew our defense weren't stopping their offense, so you had to know that the best course of action would be, drive, eat up clock, and score (TD or Field goal) with not that much time remaining. Makes no sense to try and score quickly. We were down 17-20 and had a 1-10 at the Chiefs 33, with only a little over 3 minutes remaining, you freaking dink and dunk, drive and try to win while also playing keep away.

We talk about game managers or what have you, but sometimes I feel like Philip Rivers has the gun slinging thing down, but the managing the game thing, needs a lot of work. I feel like he's pretty good at managing in lopsided score situations, or when the Chargers jump out to a nice lead, but in dog fights against good teams, or when they fall behind against good teams, I worry!

... And of course it doesn't help when you can't run the ball and stop anybody.
                Where have you been Bro? This board could use more C'ville!
                sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                  I don't think it's an ego thing - it's a pressing thing. Looks like he is trying to make things happen instead of taking what the defense is offering.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    I don't think it's an ego thing - it's a pressing thing. Looks like he is trying to make things happen instead of taking what the defense is offering.
                    This and the pass rush is forcing him to throw before he probably wants to. Compare the time he has in the pocket on, literally, every play vs what Tannehill had yesterday. He was just able to sit back there with no pressure at all and go through every progression and come back to the one who eventually came open. That was ridiculous.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

This and the pass rush is forcing him to throw before he probably wants to. Compare the time he has in the pocket on, literally, every play vs what Tannehill had yesterday. He was just able to sit back there with no pressure at all and go through every progression and come back to the one who eventually came open. That was ridiculous.
                      No kidding:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Tannehill was blitzed on 17 of 35 dropbacks (49 percent) Sunday, finishing 11-of-17 for 124 yards and two touchdowns against at least five pass rushers.

San Diego’s defense failed to record a sack for a second straight game and had just one quarterback hit against Tannehill.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

One QB hit. Yuck.

Comment

Working...
                        X