How Much Pistol Will We See Next Season?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

How Much Pistol Will We See Next Season?

Just sitting here thinking. Baltimore ran a LOT of pistol stuff last year.

Tyrod is mobile, Herbert is mobile (although not as mobile as people make him out to be...but he's athletic), Stick is extremely mobile.
    (NOTE: I keep seeing people comparing Herbert to Josh Allen... he doesn't run nearly that much)

I think we'll see quite a bit of pistol. Even some of the "Delta" backfield... (Pistol with a player on each side of the qb).
    -Stick ran that quite a bit in college at NDSU.

Maybe Steve or some of you football savants can expound on some things we could see.

(This is, of course, hoping that we have a complete season. I hope so.)
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
    Just sitting here thinking. Baltimore ran a LOT of pistol stuff last year.

Tyrod is mobile, Herbert is mobile (although not as mobile as people make him out to be...but he's athletic), Stick is extremely mobile.
    (NOTE: I keep seeing people comparing Herbert to Josh Allen... he doesn't run nearly that much)

I think we'll see quite a bit of pistol. Even some of the "Delta" backfield... (Pistol with a player on each side of the qb).
    -Stick ran that quite a bit in college at NDSU.

Maybe Steve or some of you football savants can expound on some things we could see.

(This is, of course, hoping that we have a complete season. I hope so.)
    For a short answer think of the Ravens “O” with more outside zone runs, boots, and PA with a combination of verticals and crossers. The outside zone run will be our staple that our offense will run, literally, through.

AL and Roman worked together in a Buffalo. Hopefully with Shane as the OCoord our passing concepts will have a bit more depth and nuance.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• foreigner
      Tom Telesco is gone
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

To be honest I think Taylor looks more like a passer first run after... and thats a good thing. He has a good arm.. I think.

After having accepted he is our QB I'm looking forward (and supporting him) to see what he can do... he is our QB and will support him 100%.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I think we will see more pistol this season.

Pistol gives the the QB a bit more time to read the D when he is throwing, just not as much as in the shotgun, but still allows all the runs. Pistol teams can counter, run inside, outside, I formation .... Everything but I formation FB/upback dive. Pistol just doesn't give the QB as much time to read the D compared to the shotgun. More time than if they were under Center, but not AS much as the Shotgun.

Shotgun gives the QB more time to look downfield, but takes away a lot of the run courses for the ball carrier. The RB gets the ball on inside runs and they are basically still, while on I formation stuff, they are already moving. So the Shotgun is not as strong a running formation. It is a lot harder for the RB to make people miss, and to read the blocking if they haven't gotten going and are not moving yet. Teams can run out of the shotgun, but you can't run every play in the playbook. It is much stronger for inside runs, some zone read and iso pitch kinda stuff.

For any team trying to emphasize the run more, the pistol is a better option than shotgun. It does require better footwork though.

Delta backfield is the old split backs thing just for shotgun or pistol. It is mostly a pass protection thing, since the backs can both see the defensive alignment (blitzers), and are both in a position to go out and get into the pattern quickly.

Like the split backfield, penetrating defenses can hit the play for big losses, because the backs are best aligned to hit wide, and not in much of a position to hit inside. If the running back is going wide, with the other back leading, a penetrating DL forces the RB to cut deeper, with no chance to get square to the line. There are quick hitting running plays inside, but the RB can't lead block for each other as well, because one or the other has to cross the formation. There is a reason NFL teams don't run split backfield running game anymore. A lot of college teams love to misdirect from the split backfield, but since NFL DL and LB don't read the backfield action, the misdirection is not much help.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

Bumping this up.

I'm not certain how much we ran it...but they certainly ran it.

I think we were in Pistol on JK's Touchdown, and we were also in it when we were 1st and goal at the 2.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Taylor is not a dynamic runner like a Jackson or Murray are, so at best we'll get the "poor man's" version of it that won't work nearly as well.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • SoDak
              • Technology Director
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Taylor is not a dynamic runner like a Jackson or Murray are, so at best we'll get the "poor man's" version of it that won't work nearly as well.
              certainly looked that way, week one.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The choreographers have spoken.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Pointyearedog
                  Humble Chargers Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Golden Hill
                  • Medical Devices Operations
                  • Send PM

Still, a sight better than the running style of baby giraffe Philip...
                  "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." --Frank Zappa

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Pointyearedog View Post
                    Still, a sight better than the running style of (wounded) baby giraffe Philip...
                    fixed it.
                    (disclaimer: this post was created with zero hate)
                    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• PORTERPARTY1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2020
                      • Send PM

Why not let Hebert run it a few times. Would make the defense practice for it. Get him ready a little faster.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PORTERPARTY1 View Post
                        Why not let Hebert run it a few times. Would make the defense practice for it. Get him ready a little faster.
                        Agreed.
                        and extra points for making your “10th” post about number 10.
                        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

Working...
                        X