• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

It was like their entire secondary was filled with Richard Marshalls!

Comment

• thelightningwill
      Go Aztecs and Pads
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      It was like their entire secondary was filled with Richard Marshalls!
      I'm doubting that Richard Marshall was really the biggest problem with our defense. We managed to do worse without him.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
        I'm doubting that Richard Marshall was really the biggest problem with our defense. We managed to do worse without him.
        Great comment. Maybe we should have kept him!

In fact, Kyle Fuller was part of that Chicago defensive backfield, and many here wanted us to draft him over Verrett. Now, I'm not comparing Fuller to Marshall, but I think your point was that our defense had more problems than JUST Richard Marshall. Which is very true, IMO.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The Bears left side S kept getting looked off by Rodgers and he just kept coming back to it over and over again. At some point you either tell the guy just stop reading the QB and get deep, or find an OLB to play S. But how the hell does that happen in 2 deep zone coverage? His primary responsibility is to stay deep and don';t let anyone behiond him and he just kept letting the outside receiver run right by.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The Bears left side S kept getting looked off by Rodgers and he just kept coming back to it over and over again. At some point you either tell the guy just stop reading the QB and get deep, or find an OLB to play S. But how the hell does that happen in 2 deep zone coverage? His primary responsibility is to stay deep and don';t let anyone behiond him and he just kept letting the outside receiver run right by.
            Are you sure that wasn't Santonio Holmes's fault?
            Adipose

Comment

• Yubaking
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              Great comment. Maybe we should have kept him!

In fact, Kyle Fuller was part of that Chicago defensive backfield, and many here wanted us to draft him over Verrett. Now, I'm not comparing Fuller to Marshall, but I think your point was that our defense had more problems than JUST Richard Marshall. Which is very true, IMO.
              Fuller is not the problem with the Bears. He is 6th in the league INTs (3) and 4th in the league in forced fumbles (3)--not half bad for a rookie on an otherwise horrendous pass defense. And as good as Verrett is, it seems like Fuller may be slightly better overall and without Verrett's injury baggage.

I think our defense has had more problems than Richard Marshall. The obvious issue is the large number of injuries leading us to the point of having to play Richard Marshall at CB. We are expected to get some of our starters back this weekend for a game at home against a lesser opponent. We then have a somewhat lesser opponent at home the following week, which should allow our returning players to get back into better football shape by the time we have to go to BAL for a critical road game.

This is not to say that the defense is perfect even with everyone healthy. I think even at full strength, the pass rush is solid, but maybe not elite and the run defense is still poor, but the pass coverage was noticeably better when all 3 of Verrett, Wright and Flowers were available. Still, with most of our guys back, the defense will be improved and better than last year's defense. I am looking forward to getting some of our guys back for this weekend's game versus the Raiders.

Comment

• SFW
                PB Official Game Thread Starter
                • Jul 2013
                • NY
                • USMC
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                Fuller is not the problem with the Bears. He is 6th in the league INTs (3) and 4th in the league in forced fumbles (3)--not half bad for a rookie on an otherwise horrendous pass defense. And as good as Verrett is, it seems like Fuller may be slightly better overall and without Verrett's injury baggage.

I think our defense has had more problems than Richard Marshall. The obvious issue is the large number of injuries leading us to the point of having to play Richard Marshall at CB. We are expected to get some of our starters back this weekend for a game at home against a lesser opponent. We then have a somewhat lesser opponent at home the following week, which should allow our returning players to get back into better football shape by the time we have to go to BAL for a critical road game.

This is not to say that the defense is perfect even with everyone healthy. I think even at full strength, the pass rush is solid, but maybe not elite and the run defense is still poor, but the pass coverage was noticeably better when all 3 of Verrett, Wright and Flowers were available. Still, with most of our guys back, the defense will be improved and better than last year's defense. I am looking forward to getting some of our guys back for this weekend's game versus the Raiders.
                From what I have seen Verrett is much better at pass coverage and Fuller is better at forcing turn-overs. Yes, Verrett sitting out injured makes Fuller more valuable to his team thus far but I think Verrett will be a better corner. We shall see how their two careers play out.
                1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                  From what I have seen Verrett is much better at pass coverage and Fuller is better at forcing turn-overs. Yes, Verrett sitting out injured makes Fuller more valuable to his team thus far but I think Verrett will be a better corner. We shall see how their two careers play out.
                  I agree; and I've watched a couple of Bears' games this year. But Verrett has got to stay healthy. He might be the biggest single loss on the defense this season...really like that kid.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    I agree; and I've watched a couple of Bears' games this year. But Verrett has got to stay healthy. He might be the biggest single loss on the defense this season...really like that kid.
                    If only Jammer was 5'9" maybe we would have appreciated him more...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡