• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

:what:

You do realize under the former DC Pagano the Chargers scoring defense ranked #21 in 2015 and #29 in 2016

Bradley 3 seasons as DC scoring defense #3, #7, #13

All in the top half of league. His worst being #13.

The only other Charger DC that finished with a scoring defense ranked #13 or better for 3 straight seasons was Wade Philips 2004, 2005, 2006.

You want to change to who!?

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’s because KC’s offense is built on having the big explosive plays and Bradley’s picket defense is designed to stop that. When I have time I’ll post Popper’s breakdown in the Chiefs thread.
      The only problem is, the picket fence is "designed" to stop big plays, but we saw in one game vs. the Chefs that a QB scramble can overcome it. Pull players away from the box, and run plays and QB scrambles or designed QB runs can defeat it. Sometimes an inside slant with a lot of YAC can defeat it. Picket fence is an awful defense.

Comment

• the bolt bible
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Sorry, I'm done with Gus Bradley "Non-Fighting Vehicle" and his awful "Prevent" Defense, starring the Picket Fence...

How many times have we seen this? Our D plays decently almost the whole game, then this wimpy, lame defense gives up huge chunks of real estate to lose us the game? Or, as in today, to ALMOST lose us the game? We were saved by an offensive penalty and a gimpy kicker! Imagine the odds of that!

Sorry, done with this D. Seriously, do we want to watch this lame game all year long? Time to hop on the bus, Gus!
        Should Bradley wait until the last minute instead of last 3 for prevent D yes absolutely. However if the offense hadn't of stalled most of the game it would have been a blow out. keep in mind the defense was also on the field much more time then the offense and there were no preseason games. conditioning and game shape is also a huge factor you need to consider. If the defense hold up for 90% of the game they shouldn't be faulted for the 10% they didn't.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by the bolt bible View Post

Should Bradley wait until the last minute instead of last 3 for prevent D yes absolutely. However if the offense hadn't of stalled most of the game it would have been a blow out. keep in mind the defense was also on the field much more time then the offense and there were no preseason games. conditioning and game shape is also a huge factor you need to consider. If the defense hold up for 90% of the game they shouldn't be faulted for the 10% they didn't.
          The Chargers had slightly more time of possession in the game than the Bengals did: 30:10 to 29:50.

But they were clearly gassed on the last drive.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            :what:

You do realize under the former DC Pagano the Chargers scoring defense ranked #21 in 2015 and #29 in 2016

Bradley 3 seasons as DC scoring defense #3, #7, #13

All in the top half of league. His worst being #13.

The only other Charger DC that finished with a scoring defense ranked #13 or better for 3 straight seasons was Wade Philips 2004, 2005, 2006.

You want to change to who!?

What Pagano did with the 2013 defense, with that limited personnel, was the best job by a Charger DC since Ron Rivera - easily.

Comment

• Xenos
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Gotcha. I agree with the concept, thought "perfect" was too strong a word but let's not quibble. I look forward to the Popper post.
              Here you go!

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Thank you.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I believe in the Belichick (not cheating) defense. One that adapts to each opponent based on strengths and weaknesses. Some teams you should bring on the pressure as frequently as possible. Others maybe not as much.

Comment

• the bolt bible
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The Chargers had slightly more time of possession in the game than the Bengals did: 30:10 to 29:50.

But they were clearly gassed on the last drive.
                    yes but i belive i saw on pro football focus that the second half time of possession was more in the bengals favor. maybe im not remembering correctly but i could of sworn. anyways the defense wasn't the problem.

Comment

• Lyth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

I'm not sure we can tell much from a game against the Bengals. They hung 30 on the Browns but they didn't look good against us outside of 2 drives. If we punt on 4th down this could have been a shutout. This week's game is the measuring stick.

As has been stated before on this thread, too many 3 and outs by an offense and the 85 Bears D wouldn't hold up. It's a team game and we don't have much on the offensive side.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The O needs to do a better job of moving the ball. We were losing the field possession battle, even though we were out kicking them. We just didn't do a good job of moving the ball.

If we had been able to convert on the 4th downs, we would have easily won the game. But we keep making short yardage downs an adventure, and have zero consistency in the running game.

We also found a way to take Ekeler out of the passing game.

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Gus called an excellent game plan against KC. Our players got gassed in the end and our offense stumbled.

Comment

Working...
                          X