Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Tomcat - Another crazy poll!
    Was it the 13 points the defense gave up that makes you want to can the DC? Anytime you only give up 13 points in the NFL your defense has played well!

I do agree with you regarding the prevent defense. I watched the Rams game and they did just the opposite in crunch time - they flat got after the QB In the final drive by the Cowboys they sacked Dak once and pressured him into a couple of throw aways - that's the right kind of prevent defense, imo.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

This thread is not worth time reading.

look at the pts per game against and out league rank in pts per game in his tenure. You can look at all the advanced stats you want and just flat.out disaree with his philosophy but if you care to look that up his number speak volumes. And I'm not even accounting for the decimation by injury on that side of the ball.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Imho, you start Herbert. We’re destined for middle of the road results with Tyrod. We know what we’re getting with him, he’s not turning into drew brees at this point. We’re getting an 8-8 9-7 record based on our defense with a 16-18 pick. If you start Herbert you get a top ten pick and valuable experience for your Franchise Qb. Sure he will make mistakes, but he could flash and then we know what we have and every game is a win because he gets better.

But Tyrod has dirt on Lynn so he’s going to start until next season because Lynn loves his boring mobile quarterbacks.
        I think Herbert will be brought along slowly...they won't rush anything.

The question is when do you bring in Stick? Possibly never, i don't know.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          haha Cat you make me smile

I vote no

Defense was tired and got caught with no huddle and Bosa on sideline.
          no need to fire them now...... we made our bed for this season....

still i dont understnd why Bosa was kept on sideline the majority of the last drive as was Ingram and others ....I swear I saw 3 of 4 DL as backups on that last critical drive...... why not go with your best on last drive??? Bosa came back in once Burrow was in red zone......

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The question is when do you bring in Stick? Possibly never, I don't know.
            my guess is the only purpose for Stick is in case Taylor goes down with an injury, Stick would probably finish that game and then coaches would then prepare Herbert to start the following week.

Herbert is our best QB by far...... but he just may not be ready to take over yet...... not havig pre-season games hurt his chances to start sooner, but coaches should realize that Herbert would learn 10x faster if he was on the field mking plays along with mistakes.....

The fact is that this is NOT a playoff tream with Taylor at QB....... Taylor gives chargers a chance to play low scoring games that will come down to one mistake of missed kick.....maybe matching FG's..... but he is not a threat to match teams TD for TD..... with Taylor at QB, Chargers wiull likely be drafting high again next year..... we have 4 or 5 years to see what Herbert will be, and the sooner we find out, the better..... there is zero reason to play Taylor except if Herbert is not fundamentally ready......,.the only reason.....

Herbert would have made more plays and scored more points yesterday than Taylor......and also likely made a few mistakes or turnovers...... but win or lose we would have been taking steps in the right direction.....

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              This thread is not worth time reading.

look at the pts per game against and out league rank in pts per game in his tenure. You can look at all the advanced stats you want and just flat.out disagree with his philosophy but if you care to look that up his number speak volumes. And I'm not even accounting for the decimation by injury on that side of the ball.
              I agree with not firing Lynn or the DC now...... we are what we are...... and its too late to change things now......Lynn may not be perfect but at least Lynn is a leader and players win lose or draw do play hard for him.....

BUT, overall stats can be deceiving...... Conservative coaches like Lynn and Marty can artificially make their defenses look better statistically then they really were because if you:

1. use up all 45 seconds of every play before snapping the ball...
              2. Stay with safe QB and play-calling to avoid turnovers.... (Rivers for various reasons failed at this part last year but Lynn loves Tyrod because he will not take chances until forced to).....
              3. run the ball as much as possible even if unsuccessful.....
              4. Take away deep ball but let the other team complete all the dump-offs and short passes that they want, r=tackling them as quickly as possible....

All of the above will use up lots of clock, which limits the total number of possessions by both teams, which, win or lose, keeps the total scoring down......and keeps BOTH teams in the game so that any single good play or mistake can win or cost you the game...... It takes a long time for ownership to want to fire a coach that only loses close games.....(because it is easy for the coach to say that if players had just made one more play we could have won).....

Last year's Chargers defense statistically ranked in the upper middle of NFL in overall yardage and scoring due to the 4 steps listed above....... BUT we all know that the defense was not that good..... last years Chargers defense always allowed the other team to score whenever the other team really needed to no matter how little time was left in the game(even with a few seconds left in DEN we magically gave them a PI on a hail mary to give DEN a last-second FG win)...... last years defense also could never stop the run if the other team needed a first down or a TD(mainly because many players simply could not tackle)..... last years defense ranked last in producing turnovers and ranked nearly last in getting sacks despite having at least two great pass rushers.....

Its obvious that the FA and draft additions have helped this defense greatly, but we still have mental errors from players or coaches...... Burrow had 2 receivers wide open for easy TD's...... one was dropped and the other Burrow missed..... but our defense was nowhere close..... same thing happened on his 23 yard TD run up the moiddle......no defenders were in the middle of field.... and a TE was wide open in middle on the play where Burrow forced ball to Green who pushed off...... Green did not need to push off....Chargers got very lucky..... we should have lost by at least 4......

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Are you forgetting the plays we left on the field on offense?

​​​​​​Or do we only look at the should woulda coulda for the other team? Talking about firing any coach after a win week one with the dynamics of this off season in the league is asinine.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The question is when do you bring in Stick? Possibly never, i don't know.
                  LOL
                  Perhaps when both Tyrod and Herbert have season ending injuries.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Kind of don't get the whole fire Gus thing. When you are taking the field on multiple 3 n outs. You're going to be tired in 4th. They had a long day and it showed. I'll harp on it again. CONDITIONING CONDITIONING CONDITIONING. These multi multi millionaires should be running 2k a day. Wind sprints. Sustained heart rate elevation for 30 minutes a set. As an ex footballer and wannabe mma fighter conditioning and stamina are top of the list ahead of skillset, ability, strength. You could be strong as an ox but if you can't sustain it. All that strength and ability is worthless when the tank is empty.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      Tomcat - Another crazy poll!
                      Was it the 13 points the defense gave up that makes you want to can the DC? Anytime you only give up 13 points in the NFL your defense has played well!

I do agree with you regarding the prevent defense. I watched the Rams game and they did just the opposite in crunch time - they flat got after the QB In the final drive by the Cowboys they sacked Dak once and pressured him into a couple of throw aways - that's the right kind of prevent defense, imo.
                      It looked to me like our pass rush was winded by the 4th.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

It looked to me like our pass rush was winded by the 4th.
                        I agree - those guys need to run some uphill gassers!
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LOL
                          Perhaps when both Tyrod and Herbert have season ending injuries.
                          Given that we've already lost two important starters on defense by game 1 of our season give it time grasshopper!

opcorn:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡