Chargers 7 Point Underdog to Bucs (Wk 4 Pre-Game Discussion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SBbound
    Casual fanatic
    • Feb 2019
    • Merced/San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Paradoxrip View Post

I took the under. Looks like heavy rain tomorrow. I'm getting a little nervous for JH. Did I hear right? 11 sacks in the last 2 games? YIKES!:tired::tired::tired:
    Rain should be gone by kickoff

Comment

• Xenos
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Popper's take on what the offense needs to do:
      How do you see our offense matching up with the Bucs defense? And what is your favorite matchup?
      The matchup that matters in this game is the Bucs’ pass rush against the Chargers’ offensive line. Tampa defensive coordinator Todd Bowles is one of the most aggressive defensive play-callers in the NFL. His scheme is heavily predicated on blitzing and pressure, particularly on early downs. Through three games, Bowles’ unit is blitzing on 45.2 percent of their defensive snaps, the third-highest rate in the league. And they are blitzing on exactly half of the defensive snaps on first and second down. If the Chargers are going to win this game, they must find a way to diagnose and handle the Bucs’ pressure.

That is a difficult task largely because of how many players Bowles can send after the quarterback. He loves to call exotic blitzes, and this season he really has the personnel to execute those calls. Seven different Bucs have sacked the quarterback this season, and four of those players have at least two sacks, including rookie safety Antoine Winfield Jr.

The Bucs have an explosive stable of linebackers, with Shaquil Barrett (19.5 sacks in 2019), Levonte David and Devin White. They have a proven pass rusher in Jason Pierre-Paul coming off the edge. And they have big, capable interior linemen in Ndamukong Suh and Vita Vea.

I am fascinated to see how the Chargers counter Bowles’ pressure, especially after a pretty miserable showing last week against the Panthers, who totaled 21 pressures in their win at SoFi Stadium. I doubt we will see many straight drop backs from Justin Herbert, who will be making his third straight start with Tyrod Taylor out. I am expecting plenty of pocket movement and bootlegs, especially in the play-action game, to get Herbert away from oncoming rushers. And the Chargers must get their running game going early.

Expect, also, to see a heavy dose of the QB option run game to try and gain numbers in the rushing attack. Herbert will have to get the ball out quickly in passing situations. In that vein, I anticipate we see more three-step drops than five-step ones. The Chargers’ screen game, which has been effective through three weeks, will also be a big factor this week. Screens are a perfect antidote for blitz-heavy defenses, but they need to be executed properly, and that will largely fall on the offensive line.

Right tackle Bryan Bulaga (back) and right guard Trai Turner (groin) have both been ruled out. Lynn said Friday that Ryan Groy will start at right guard and Trey Pipkins will start at right tackle. Both players struggled in pass protection against Carolina. They need to be better against the Bucs.

As far as an offensive matchup I like, I think Austin Ekeler could have a big day in the passing game. I already mentioned the importance of the screen game. But in his news conference Friday, Herbert said his most important takeaway through his first two starts, in terms of changing protections, was always trying to find a way to get his running back out on a route. With the Bucs’ aggressive approach, Herbert will be looking for Ekeler as a safety valve, and getting him the ball in space against the blitz could be a key in this game. Against the Panthers, Herbert stood in the pocket and delivered throws amid pressure. He really did not flinch despite taking a number of big hits. That is a reason for optimism, because he should face similar pressure this weekend.

Comment

Working...
      X