• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

that's the point.... you keep claiming it's the players/injuries, and.... they are the same players on the field for the first half/lead as on the field for the second half/collapse ??

how could it possibly be the same players and/or the same injuries if that's the case ??

aren't you giving the coaches credit for the double digit leads, and then blaming the players/injuries for the meltdowns/giveaways ??
    Yes. That is exactly what I'm doing.

Are you watching the games?!!!!??!!

They have lost keystone players all year, part of year , and in 2nd half of games.

Allen played 12 snaps vs Saints. 2 catches 29 yards and a TD.
    Didn't play rest of game, back spasms.

Bosa missed most of 2nd half vs Denver with concussion. He hasn't played a single snap since.

Hayward got hurt and wasn't on field late in 4th quarter.

I could go on and on...... Ekeler.....Harris... Starters who were part of first half leads but didn't finish the game.

Lynn won't use it as an excuse, but I will use it as a reason the team has struggled at times to finish games.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      The dysfunction remains at the top.
      agreed that John Spanos pulled the AL strings, has a wingman that he truly enjoys being around and who generally speaking prolly follows the direction set out by his Director of Football Ops.

and so, for the if and when you might have the confidence of young John, what is your suggestion for him to orchestrate a needed U turn for this org of his ??

obviously you are going to retain your HC and STs coach, and will surmise that the all of Campen, Pep 'n Stitch are in no danger of being relocated.

what happens to Bradley, Telesco, and Tyrod ?? what about Denzel ?? SupaMel ?? MW's $15m of cap space ?? Trai Turner ??

and do you continue a personnel strategy as evidenced by the retaining of players like Mebane and Square, and the drafting of guys like Murray in lieu of a full till of draft picks ??

would you trade up again for a Ryan Mathews, Melvin Gordon, Jacob Hester and/or Manti Te'o ??

do you explain to young John that someone like a John Dorsey or Daniel Jeremiah, or fill in the blank.... might do him well ??

not clear on what you think is gonna be the difference maker going forward.... inclusive of Anthony Ray ??

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Swap Tomlin and Lynn as coaches and the Chargers have a winning record and the Steelers are not faintly close to undefeated.
        :idby:
        LOL. Wow.
        Good grief, I didn't realize it's all about the coaches and nothing else.

Note to everyone. Talent doesn't matter. The front office doesn't matter. The health of the players don't matter. The experience level of players on field doesn't matter.
        All that matters is if you have a good coach, then it works. And if you don't have a good coach, the it doesn't work.

The difference is all about coaches. Put Tomlin on the Chargers and we are undefeated 9-0. Put Lynn on Steelers and they are 2-7. Simple math really.

​​​​
        ​​
        ​​​​​​

​​​​​

​​​​​

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

think you're cherry pickin' there Crits, and.... will ask you the same question I asked you before....

if they make you GM, how much are you gonna sign Lynn for, and for how many years ??

and how do you turn around the STs.... w/Stewart as your STs coach, coz that's the guy that your wunderkoach has dialed up for the job ??
          I'm signing Lynn for 3 year extension though 2023.

I trade for Justin Tucker to be FG kicker.

I trade for N.Hines to be Punt Returner. And to have him as 3rd down pass catching back and slot receiver and to spell Ekeler and to have depth in case of injury.

​​​​​​And I'm often going to be loading up on pass rushers and offensive line early in drafts. I want to win in the trenches on offense, on defense and on special teams.

After I do that. Then the clock starts ticking on Lynn's 3 year extension. And no I don't think it waste Herbert career.
          As he will only be 25 years of age in 3 years and have at least 10 years left in his career.

And if it does work out well, then I got my HC/QB combo rocking and rolling for another decade.

​​​​​​And stop talking smack about Stewart. Terrell Owens isn't very happy with you.
          ​​​​​

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

agreed that John Spanos pulled the AL strings, has a wingman that he truly enjoys being around and who generally speaking prolly follows the direction set out by his Director of Football Ops.

and so, for the if and when you might have the confidence of young John, what is your suggestion for him to orchestrate a needed U turn for this org of his ??

obviously you are going to retain your HC and STs coach, and will surmise that the all of Campen, Pep 'n Stitch are in no danger of being relocated.

what happens to Bradley, Telesco, and Tyrod ?? what about Denzel ?? SupaMel ?? MW's $15m of cap space ?? Trai Turner ??

and do you continue a personnel strategy as evidenced by the retaining of players like Mebane and Square, and the drafting of guys like Murray in lieu of a full till of draft picks ??

would you trade up again for a Ryan Mathews, Melvin Gordon, Jacob Hester and/or Manti Te'o ??

do you explain to young John that someone like a John Dorsey or Daniel Jeremiah, or fill in the blank.... might do him well ??

not clear on what you think is gonna be the difference maker going forward.... inclusive of Anthony Ray ??

I don't know. I was not a fan of any of the trade ups. If I'm trading up, I want to trade into top 10 or higher of rd 1.

Otherwise I'd rather trade back or trade pick for a known player. Or just draft. I'm not giving up a pick to move up a spot or two in the middle of any round.

And I don't like picking RBs in rd 1 unless I'm getting LT and he was pick #5 which goes with my above statement about wanting to be in the very top of that rd.

After that I'd rather have traded down or for a next year pick to acquire more draft capital or trade it for a veteran player. I look at the draft picks as capital to spend one way or another but not just on rookie prospects.

A couple of moves in the distant past I liked. Just to get a veteran that would help right away. A trade of 3rd & 6th for McCardell-WR. Trade of a 5th rd pick for R.Oben-OT. Seems like it's been a while since we traded for useful veterans as often as happened in the early 2000s. And what I like is you get a known player with experience. In all sports I think young teams tend to struggle and veteran teams tend to do better. I don't want a young team. I want a veteran team.

And if I'm advisor to Johnny in front office. I'm saying let's look at Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs front offices and find scouts and personnel people and assistant gm and gm from those franchises. If we want to catch up with some of the top franchises in AFC over last decade then let's duplicate things and bring in people from those organizations.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

LOL. Wow.
              Good grief, I didn't realize it's all about the coaches and nothing else.

Note to everyone. Talent doesn't matter. The front office doesn't matter. The health of the players don't matter. The experience level of players on field doesn't matter.
              All that matters is if you have a good coach, then it works. And if you don't have a good coach, the it doesn't work.

The difference is all about coaches. Put Tomlin on the Chargers and we are undefeated 9-0. Put Lynn on Steelers and they are 2-7. Simple math really.
              I literally said none of those things.

Of course talent matters. We have much more talent than a 2 win team - even with our injuries. If we had no talent, as mentioned above, we would not be up on teams by double digits in the second half of games. We’d be losing games 41-17. But we don’t. Only the most blind or obtuse fan could possibly conclude that coaching isn’t a MASSIVE issue on special teams, yet Lynn insists on sticking with Stewart. Nobody paying attention to the games can ignore how it has hurt us many times this year taking the foot off the gas on offense when we get a lead. Coaching fail. How about not realizing what we had in Herbert and actually thinking Taylor was a better option at QB? Massive fail. Nobody paying attention to the games can ignore how soft we are on D when we get a lead and how, despite the hollow talk we heard from Lynn about how we’d be more aggressive this year, we are even more passive than last year. Coaching fail.

The coaching staff has easily cost us 3 or 4 games this year alone. Tomlin or Belichick wouldn’t make the mistakes our coaches do.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I literally said none of those things.

Of course talent matters. We have much more talent than a 2 win team - even with our injuries. If we had no talent, as mentioned above, we would not be up on teams by double digits in the second half of games. We’d be losing games 41-17. But we don’t. Only the most blind or obtuse fan could possibly conclude that coaching isn’t a MASSIVE issue on special teams, yet Lynn insists on sticking with Stewart. Nobody paying attention to the games can ignore how it has hurt us many times this year taking the foot off the gas on offense when we get a lead. Coaching fail. How about not realizing what we had in Herbert and actually thinking Taylor was a better option at QB? Massive fail. Nobody paying attention to the games can ignore how soft we are on D when we get a lead and how, despite the hollow talk we heard from Lynn about how we’d be more aggressive this year, we are even more passive than last year. Coaching fail.

The coaching staff has easily cost us 3 or 4 games this year alone. Tomlin or Belichick wouldn’t make the mistakes our coaches do.
                Badgely
                Facyson
                Kelley
                Ballage
                Meeks
                :coffee:

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Badgely
                  Facyson
                  Kelley
                  Ballage
                  Meeks
                  looking over the Dolphins depth chart, not sure eye saw much if any massive talent advantage over the Chargers same.... save for one ??

Brian Flores
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Badgely
                    Facyson
                    Kelley
                    Ballage
                    Meeks
                    Nice list. And somehow this shows Lynn is a good coach? Okay...

Comment

• Jagged
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Omaha, Nebraska
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

No, what the Spanos family did over 30 years ago has absolutely no bearing on assessing the performance of Anthony Lynn, which is the subject of this thread. That is a bunch of completely illogical nonsense.

The whole point of the discussion about Lynn is that his team has underperformed because of him. If the team's talent were what the team's record indicates, then no coach could ever overperform or underperform, which, again, is a bunch of illogical nonsense.

No unit actually needs to be a top 5 unit for the team to have underperformed. All of the units taken as a whole need to be better than a bottom 5 combined group to establish that the team is not playing to the level of its talent. While people can reasonably disagree regarding whether or not our team is a top 5 team in terms of overall talent (I think they at least have the talent of a playoff level team and have not been overmatched from a talent standpoint in any game this season, including against the Chiefs), no reasonable person could believe that this is a bottom 5 team in terms of talent. So, the team has clearly underperformed versus its talent level on the field.

This thread has detailed at great length all of the reasons why the team has underperformed that are wholly unrelated to the level of talent on the field--poor game plans, horrible in game tactical decisions, obviously poorly coached players from a strategy standpoint, et cetera.

It is not as if this were some sort of close call regarding Lynn's poor pefromance. The things I am speaking of are completely obvious to most on this forum, to others in the media and in other places where fans discuss football issues.

Okay, so you want to evaluate Lynn in a vacuum without taking into account the rest of the organization? How would that even work? He wasn’t given a fresh new team and GM to work with that had no baggage to deal with. I’m sure you remember the move from San Diego to LA. There’s nothing “illogical” about looking at the whole picture.

focusing only on Lynn (and his coaches) you would have to be able to view an alternate reality to say with absolute certainty that his record would be anything other than what it is. Obviously injuries play a part and you can make the logical assumption that if they never had an injury, they would have a better record, but his record is what it is, he’s the coach of a 2 and 7 football team. he has the same issues that every other NFL head coach has and right now.

I brought up his coaching staff because, in my opinion, this is where he fails the most. Failing over and over again to help or replace these coaches that are underachieving is completely BECAUSE OF him and does reflect on him as a head coach. I’m not going to call out play calling because that can just as well be an execution issue, the other teams get paid to play as well. His clock management has been called out by quite a few people. My opinion of Lynn is that he’s an average NFL coach, nothing spectacular, but certainly not the worst one out there.

Comment

• Jagged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Omaha, Nebraska
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Congrats on post 420
                        I agree with everything except the bold
                        in any broken system, there is a possibility that changing one part could fix the whole
                        possible, and that's all we can work with because there's literally no chance at change from up top
                        Thanks for the cograts, it only took me ( however long this board has been here) to get to that number....lol. (I also think they spotted me 200 to start with)

I don’t disagree with you, my problem with that is that it’s a short term fix. The second you lose that fix, it’s right back to the old “Chargering” ways.

Comment

• Jagged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Omaha, Nebraska
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Telesco unfortunately has Mahomes to deal with and Reid....who Dean passed over.

AJ time here had a bad Raiders franchise with Al Davis at his worst and the Broncos and Shanahan making bad decisions as the GM with Cutler while we had Rivers at his best and even KC having down years and No Andy.

We won the division one time with a 8-8 record.
                          Failing upwards.... it’s the Charger way.

Comment

Working...
                          X