• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

bottom line, it’s a QB league and Lynn had 2 very very good QBs.
    IMHO we need to have the best Defense in the AFC west as a realistic goal. I mean our offense which wasn't really catered for Herbert could hang with any team out there including KC. Our defense is not where it should be. If it were stout we'd be a contender. The biggest issue is the defensive line in the trenches.

Tillery doesn't appear to be that dominate 43 NT TT envisioned.
    Ingram is elite (and expensive) depth a this point in his career.
    We have no other dominate d-lineman opposite Bosa.
    We cannot generate a pass rush in crunch time leading to tons of points given up in 2nd halfs.

A defensive HC could've alleviated some of those issues via real time in-game adjustments overriding the DC.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

IMHO we need to have the best Defense in the AFC west as a realistic goal. I mean our offense which wasn't really catered for Herbert could hang with any team out there including KC. Our defense is not where it should be. If it were stout we'd be a contender. The biggest issue is the defensive line in the trenches.

We cannot generate a pass rush in crunch time leading to tons of points given up in 2nd halfs.

A defensive HC could've alleviated some of those issues via real time in-game adjustments overriding the DC.
      I agree with the defense is not at a championship level.
      why? Health, talent, scheme?
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Couldn’t agree more. Everybody’s default is we need OL, we need OL but the truth is we desperately need DL and LB’s

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Keenan Allen played one half of football that year. Remember?
          Mebane was put on injured reserve after 10 games.
          Floyd was near the end.
          Gates was near the end.
          Scifres was near the end.
          Henry was a rookie: he split time with Gates
          Flowers was always put on concussion protocol by week 3 ...and then shelved for 5 weeks, come off it, and get another concussion.
          Liuget was always overrated here because he was a high first rounder.
          Bosa held out and missed a lot of games.
          Addae is a journeymen type player, once off the rookie contract
          The offensive line was complete crap...they also had a number of injuries: almost all of them were gone by 2017. Complete crap!

In short:
          On D: Hayward, bosa, ingram, perryman, weddle and journeyman types.... this was the strength of the team.
          On O: Rivers, a green Hunter Henry, an ineffective fumble prone Melvin Gordon & journeymen players (nothing remotely close to what they have right now).

Seriously. What do they have now? You could point out many roster complications now. Just listed above.
          You can claim this is a way more talented and healthy roster right now and throughout 2020. But it doesn't add up.

Lynn better than McCoy and it isn't even close. .

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

They have a 4 - 12 team with a 4 - 12 type head coach....that's what they have.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

[QUOTE=Critty;n1136347]

I agree with the defense is not at a championship level.
              why? Health, talent, scheme?[/QUOTE]

I would say Scheme, Health, Talent in that order. I actually like our talent.

The original scheme was exposed ever since the playoffs Pats loss. Said scheme is shell of its former self due to health issues to key players. Let me rewind back to that playoff loss. TT immediately acknowledged deficiencies by getting our defense more balanced hence the Tillery pick and also the Joseph pickup. Its not like our talent is not there. The talent was doing good in just about every 1st half this season against the best QBs/offenses. It falls back to our defensive scheme. It is not flexible, balanced, and slow to adapt.

Coming in to the season I think we all expected Jack Boy level defense against the pass, a younger faster LB group, and a revamped improved D-line with depth galore. So many players' production had decreased. I'm looking at the scheme again.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

If you think he is horrible, then it makes sense you want him gone.
                I think he's had a good run, and do think his time has expired.

don't see the intangibles working in his favor.... don't get the sense that there's a high vibe in the locker room, the org on the whole, nor w/the fan base ??

as mentioned before, don't see the merits in his personnel leanings, nor in his brand of football, and def don't care for how he's handled his biz w/some players and coaches, and the media @times as well..

also as mentioned before, am sure he'll be fine wherever he lands next, but do think his time is up, and that JH Charger football is best served w/a clean slate and new coaching staff....

too much Whiz, Phil, Tyrod, Mebane, Denzel, King, George Cottrell and prolly Gus residue for my liking.... why not just excuse the elephant from the room, and move on w/our Chargers biz.

RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2020
                  • Send PM

My perspective is different than many.
                  I don't see Chargers as the super most talented team in our division or AFC or league. I think when stars are healthy could say a top 10 team. When many stars get injured then a bottom 10 team. Overall they are middle of the pack.
                  Because it is such a QB Driven league.
                  I look at Lynn/Rivers 3 season.
                  And then this Lynn/Herbert 1 season.
                  I see them as two different chapter of chargers football.
                  Its a big reason I want Lynn to have another season with Herbert. I know Lynn won many games 2 of 3 years with Philip. Then 1 down year and that chapter closed. And now it's the beginning of a new Herbert era and it's has been a tease of a lot of great play and opportunity to win and then some unfortunate injury and some poor player performance and questions about coaches.
                  I want to see what another year of Lynn with Herbert looks like.

Is part of it that Lynn dumped old man Rivers. Makes it easier to hate on Lynn for a rough 2020 season.
                  In my opinion and from what I have gathered, your arguments have context and are well thought out. Wether others agree with you is a completely different story. I certainly feel for posters and the many losing years cheering for mostly losing teams, but we have a franchise QB now who was born under this current infrastructure. Moving on from that now so early on in Herbert’s development could be costly. I am of the belief that other areas are of much more concern such as special teams and defense where there could be change without disrupting Herbert’s early development. From what I can tell, very few QBs have had success when changing schemes so frequently on in their careers. He already had 3 major scheme changes while at Oregon, which is why he most likely plateaued there and not develop more after his freshmen year.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Texans were 1-6 under O’Brien
                    3-1 under Crennel.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      Texans were 1-6 under O’Brien
                      3-1 under Crennel.
                      Watson had stability his first few seasons under O’Brien though. Stability is the most important thing for Herbert now. After next season, then Herbert would be in a much better position in my opinion. Patience and stability is needed, especially considering the offense is doing so well under Steichen!

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Critty, you use too much common sense for this group. You need to grasp this mood - oh shit, we lost again so lets fire someone: when you take that approach you'll fit right in!
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                          Watson had stability his first few seasons under O’Brien though. Stability is the most important thing for Herbert now. After next season, then Herbert would be in a much better position in my opinion. Patience and stability is needed, especially considering the offense is doing so well under Steichen!
                          LOL, O'Brien traded his go to WR. He was a douche and terrible GM.

Crennell is a shitty HC as well and got the creampuff part of their schdeule. They have Indy coming up twice in three weeks. Not going to be good.
                          11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                          35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                          37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                          66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                          69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                          100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                          110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                          140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                          181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                          225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st ➡️ 253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

Working...
                          X